• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, who wants to talk about new Doctor Who (spoilers likely)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I enjoyed tonights episode - the year of the slow invasion.

At least up until the big reveal at the end, anyway. I loved the frustrating slow introduction of the cubes, and the subdued menace they created.

I don't think they explained at all why some people got carried off to the spaceship though, and I found the ultimate big reveal a little lacking.

Overall 7/10 for me though.

MarkB

Legend
Also, if they can make an android kid realistic enough to stand around a hospital for a year unremarked, why do the orderlies who actually abduct people have the scary-hole-mouth face and zero personality?

And, as with every time they use the "loads of people get knocked out / hypnotised / etc. but they all wake up fine in a few minutes" trope, my reaction is "Yeah, that's great, but what about the ones who were piloting planes or driving cars at the time?" Any time something like that happens, it must catch tens of thousands of people in situations where being suddenly incapacitated, even momentarily, will have fatal consequences.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Also, if they can make an android kid realistic enough to stand around a hospital for a year unremarked, why do the orderlies who actually abduct people have the scary-hole-mouth face and zero personality?

And, as with every time they use the "loads of people get knocked out / hypnotised / etc. but they all wake up fine in a few minutes" trope, my reaction is "Yeah, that's great, but what about the ones who were piloting planes or driving cars at the time?" Any time something like that happens, it must catch tens of thousands of people in situations where being suddenly incapacitated, even momentarily, will have fatal consequences.

Eh, it's Doctor Who, not Torchwood. It's on at peak time and watched by a lot of kids. I forgive them for washing over the darker side of things. We as adults can still just assume that's going on in the background.

I've no idea why those scary mouth things were kidnapping people though. I must have missed that.

Overall a weak plot, but some decent character stuff.

No lightbulb theme this week, unless I just didn't notice it.

horacethegrey

First Post
Episode 4: THE POWER OF THREE

- Kate Stewart. The new head of UNIT, and the Brigadier's daughter to boot. Delightful character played well by Jemma Redgrave. Hope to see her again.

- Slice of Life. That's what this episode felt like, rather than a adventure. It gives us a nice insight into Amy and Rory's life adjusting to the Doctor's erratic visits and how they're ready to move on.

- Brian. Another solid guest appearance by Mark Williams as Rory's dad. It's too bad though that we may never see him again once Karen and Arthur leave the show.

- Silly Doctor. Some of Matt's most bizarro acting moments yet. Great fun.

DISLIKES

- Lack of suspense. You never get the sense that the Doctor and his mates we're in any danger of losing at all. That's about the only negative I can think of.

All in all, nice episode. And an obvious improvement over the last two eps which were slight disappointments. But now have to brace for Amy and Rory's farewell next week when the Weeping Angels return once more.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->@Eridanis <!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->has a theory he posted on Facebook. I think he should get in here and discuss it, because his evidence is compelling. It's the "we're watching these episodes in reverse order" theory.

Richards

Legend
No lightbulb theme this week, unless I just didn't notice it.
Well, the lights did go out in the UNIT lab under the Tower of London, and the Brigadier's daughter commented how that should be impossible, as they have generators that should have kicked in. That might count.

Johnathan

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, the lights did go out in the UNIT lab under the Tower of London, and the Brigadier's daughter commented how that should be impossible, as they have generators that should have kicked in. That might count.

True; I'd forgotten about that. Was that just the lights, all all power? were the computers still running?

MarkB

Legend
So <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->@Eridanis <!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->has a theory he posted on Facebook. I think he should get in here and discuss it, because his evidence is compelling. It's the "we're watching these episodes in reverse order" theory.

How does that square with the fact that the Doctor didn't recognise Rory's dad two episodes ago, but they're well known to each other this episode?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads