Social Encounters: Does it Matter What and How PCs Speak to NPCs?

Reynard

Legend
And you can stop being married. That doesn't mean a spouse can't be abusive.
Let's not go there. i should have used a different analogy so I will edit my post.
This is a weird hill for you to mount a defense from.
My point is that anyone can walk away from a jerk DM's D&D table. The idea of "abused player syndrome" is both nonsense and exactly the kind of thing I would expect from The Alexandrian.

Meech17

Adventurer
Let's not go there. i should have used a different analogy so I will edit my post.

My point is that anyone can walk away from a jerk DM's D&D table. The idea of "abused player syndrome" is both nonsense and exactly the kind of thing I would expect from The Alexandrian.
Maybe 'Abused' is too strong of a term. I do think there is merit to the idea of players, especially new players developing the wrong mindset from being in bad games.

I played at a table in highschool with some kids I knew and it was horrid. It was very combative, and very DM vs. Players.

I knew from my home table however, that this wasn't how all D&D was. I was able to go "Wow, this game sucks.. I'm out of here."

If that was my first exposure to the game however, I might not have that baseline to relate to, and just assume that was how the game was supposed to be played.

Celebrim

Legend
Does it matter which weapon, attack, or position that a player chooses in a combat situation?

If the answer is, "Yes", then it should also matter what they say and what their intent is in a social situation.

And the game is just more fun if you speak in character. Hold players to the same standards you would hold a GM. There is a very different experience in the GM having a funny NPC and the GM telling you that the NPC is funny.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Maybe. I know a frequent refrain these days is "Better no game than a bad game" but that came as a reaction to a pretty frequent refrain from earlier in the hobby "Better a bad game than no game". I know a lot of people who, if they wanted to play, had to play with whomever was around and willing to DM. It's great that there are better resources now, including the ability to play more computer RPGs, watch live play online, and play online, but it wasn't always this way. There's no point in blaming the people who were abused because they wanted to be able to participate in the hobby and had limited choices.

Reynard

Legend
Maybe 'Abused' is too strong of a term. I do think there is merit to the idea of players, especially new players developing the wrong mindset from being in bad games.

Maybe. I know a frequent refrain these days is "Better no game than a bad game" but that came as a reaction to a pretty frequent refrain from earlier in the hobby "Better a bad game than no game". I know a lot of people who, if they wanted to play, had to play with whomever was around and willing to DM. It's great that there are better resources now, including the ability to play more computer RPGs, watch live play online, and play online, but it wasn't always this way. There's no point in blaming the people who were abused because they wanted to be able to participate in the hobby and had limited choices.

I am not saying that there aren't jerk DMs or that they can't have a negative impact on players. I am just (very strongly) taking issue with using the term "abuse" to describe that.

MGibster

Legend
Yeah. You sound kind of like all those people who say, "Why didn't she just leave her husband?" Social dynamics can be really complicated, and sometimes it's not easy walking away from the table because you're also walking about from a relationship of some kind.

Remove ads