Solo campaign in the Midnight Campaign Setting

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Scotley said:
To address you last comment first, I don't have a problem with the Wildlander moving up to good reflex saves. A couple of fighter levels could indeed make the cohort more a "jack of all trades", which is kind of the way I've been picturing her. Sort of filling in all those little roles that you lose in a solo game.

Cool, I went with that, I haven't an update to post, but I should have both character's minus spells and equipment done tomorrow, and depending upon the wife's schedule I can problem have the backgrounds down for both of them by Monday.

Scotley said:
Try to take it easy, hope you are feeling better soon.

I am doing alot better... :D

Scotley

Hero
Cool, glad you are feeling better and making progress. I have a couple of background questions for you.

Do you want to be affiliated with one of the Kings or someone higher up in the Legates? Something else? Who, if anyone, gives you your orders?

Any ideas on where you want to play yet? I think we can have some fun in Erenland and that is where you can make the most use of the cohort. We can find an excuse to get into the mountains and forests from there as well. What do you think?

When we start to play I thought we would jump right into a combat so you can get a feel for what the Big Bad Bugbear can do then move into a more formal mission that will involve some mystery/detective/interrigation work and some travel.

Is there anything you want me to do characterwise? You said something about not liking to do spells early on.

Any ideas for names yet? I'm getting tired of "cohort" and "bugbear"?

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Sorry for being so quite… I didn’t get as much done this weekend as I thought I would and this week looks to be rather bad also… (My wife is off every night so I’m rather thin on time to work on this.)

Please don’t think my inability to get my character done as a lack of desire to play… Getting characters done is always the hardest part for me.

I to am tried of hearing of them refer to that also. I found this very old post on Against the Shadow…

Do you have any preference for using names based upon real world culture for the various groups?

Scotley said:
Cool, glad you are feeling better and making progress. I have a couple of background questions for you.

Scotley said:
Do you want to be affiliated with one of the Kings or someone higher up in the Legates? Something else? Who, if anyone, gives you your orders?

I do imagine their is a middle man... As to who, or what, I'm not sure and I think its best if you handled that. (My cohort has become more PC friendly in my mind the more I've worked on her, which I guess is okay.)

Scotley said:
Any ideas on where you want to play yet? I think we can have some fun in Erenland and that is where you can make the most use of the cohort. We can find an excuse to get into the mountains and forests from there as well. What do you think?

Erenland sounds like a wonderful place to start for all of your reasons mentioned. :)

Scotley said:
When we start to play I thought we would jump right into a combat so you can get a feel for what the Big Bad Bugbear can do then move into a more formal mission that will involve some mystery/detective/interrogation work and some travel.

That could work, I was thinking of many starting with an interrogation to show what a truly evil person he is, but combat and then moving into it could be equally effective.

Scotley said:
Is there anything you want me to do character wise? You said something about not liking to do spells early on.

Yeah the Spell lists are/will kick my ass... I'll update the cohort’s character sheet so you can use some of her unused feats to pick up more skills of magic. :)

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Brother Shatterstone said:
Sorry for being so quite… I didn’t get as much done this weekend as I thought I would and this week looks to be rather bad also… (My wife is off every night so I’m rather thin on time to work on this.)

Please don’t think my inability to get my character done as a lack of desire to play… Getting characters done is always the hardest part for me.

Hey, I knew things would be busy for me the rest of the year too. That's why I insisted on a month to prepare, so take you time and get everything the way you want it.

Do you have any preference for using names based upon real world culture for the various groups?

I have no preferences. I thougth the discussion you referenced was well thought out and if you like those choices it certainly works for me.

I'll update the cohort’s character sheet so you can use some of her unused feats to pick up more skills of magic. :)

I'll get on it as quick as I can. I have a busy week too. Unfortunately, the cable company is also doing some work in my neighborhood this week and my internet connection will be spotty for a couple of days. It may be the weekend before I get anything done.

Scotley

Hero
Just a brief note to let you know I haven't forgotten you. I've been busy with all the holiday and year end madness around here. I wont be posting much over the holidays, but I'll get back to work on our game next week. Have a Very Merry!

Scotley

Scotley

Hero
Finally, some spells

Okay, I know it has been a while, but I am finally making progress on the spells for the cohort. I finished her Legate spells--not a major accomplishment, but a start and I'm working on Channeler, which is a bit more complex. I made choices based on her support role. Let me know what you think. I picked the Domains of Evil, which will double the caster level of evil spells to two as well as give access to the Protection from Good spell, and War which will give her access to the Magic Weapon spell and a bonus feat of weapon focus long sword--Izradore's favored weapon. The Distruction domain would grant a virtually useless cause light wounds spell which she can already trade any spell for, but it would give her a smite a day, so if think that she won't use a long sword that would be the best second choice. Death would give her a death touch ability which only kills creatures with up to 6 hp--a weapon or spell is better. The magic domain would have granted an ability she already had. Anyway, for the Bugbear the Death and magic domains or possibly distruction make more sense. Let me know which one you favor. I hope to have the Cohort's spells finished up this weekend. Here's my suggestions for her Legate spells typically memorized. Hope you had a nice holiday.

Cohort spells-Legate Gets Cleric list plus Domains-Evil and War

0 level 3x day (All can be traded for Inflict Minor Wounds as needed—Touch deals 1hp)

Cure minor wounds—Cures 1 point of damage
Detect Magic—Detects spells and magic items within 60’
Guidance--+1 on attack roll, save or skill check

1st Level 2x day+1 domain (All can be traded for Inflict Minor Wounds as needed—Touch deals 1d8+2)

Protection from Good--+2 to AC and saves, counter mind control and hedge out elementals and outsiders. (Domain bonus)
Bane—Enemies take -1 on attack rolls and saves against fear.
Cure Light Wounds—Cures 1d8 damage +1

Cohort Spells-Channeler Can be cast spontaneously up to the limit of Spell Energy (Charisma Modifier + Channeler Level=9 Note: 0 level spells after 3 + Cha Mod. (+4) or 7 total count as 1st level)

Spells Known

0 Level

Detect Magic
Flare
Ghost Sound
Mage Armor
Mage Hand
Prestidigitation
Ray of Frost

1st Level

Burning Hands
Change Self
Good Berry
Shield
Spider Climb
Undetectable Aura

2nd Level

Acid Arrow
Bull’s Strength
Lesser Restoration
Invisibility
Sound Burst

3rd Level

Cure Serious Wounds
Vampiric Touch
Keen Edge

Last edited:

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Scotley said:
Okay, I know it has been a while, but I am finally making progress on the spells for the cohort. I finished her Legate spells--not a major accomplishment, but a start and I'm working on Channeler, which is a bit more complex. I made choices based on her support role. Let me know what you think.

I think theirs a certain amount of utilitarian in a long sword… Even if it is Izrador’s cleric’s favored weapon I imagine that the long sword has the same popularity as in most fantasy worlds.

Scotley said:
Hope you had a nice holiday.

They weren’t to bad but they where perfect. My wife’s parents where involved in a head on crash a day before the New Year. No one died, no one is going to die, just alot of surgeries (Mother-in-law) to go through. My wife took it pretty bad and it really went a long way to ending the fun.

I didn't work on this game once during the holidays, and I'm not sure if/when I’ll be able to give it my best effort and its not fair to you to ask so much of you.

At some point I still want this game to happen, I like the idea too much, but I’m not one to do anything half assed when it comes to RPGs. So if you’re okay with it I would like to postpone this game for a while and come back to it at a later date.

If you dislike that, and you want to go now, I do understand I will give you my best effort so just let me know what you want. :)

Scotley

Hero
I understand that family has to come first and am a bit of a perfectionist myself. Thus, I understand completely the desire to wait until you can give the game your full attention. I still have a good bit to do before I can do justice to the world anyway. I can continue work on the spell lists and get ready for the opening moves. When you are ready let me know. Are you thinking a few weeks or holding off much longer?

Scotley

Hero
Okay, I got the Channeler spells edited in above. Again I focused on her roles as support and infiltrator. I gave her a few attack spells just to give her more options. I will go back and add the short effects summary to each one like I did for the Legate spells when I get a chance. I didn't use all the feats, but got almost all the schools. She will get additional bonus schools at 8th, 12th, and 16th, which will be all of them. Another bonus is coming at 20th, but she'll already have them all by then. Channelers are cool in that they can cast any spell they know anytime regardless of level as long as the spell energy holds out. Unfortnately, even with a 19 Cha. she only has 9 spell levels of energy thus she could cast 9 first level spells or 3 third level spells in a day. She can cast additional spells by taking Con. Damage. One way channelers can reduce cost is by making talismans-hence the item creation feat I gave her. I'm thinking she will be using Vampiric touch and Cure Serious Wounds often enough to justify making talismans. I would give her two hands on a necklace--one a crooked black onyx clawed hand the other an alibaster white hand palm up. What do you think. If you feel other spells would be better for the talismans let me know, or if I left out any spells you think she needs. I gave her one of each level over those she would acquire from feats and levels to represent some study and finding of spells. She will certainly have the chance to acquire more as we play.

Here's a summary of her feats based on how I suggest spending them and the extra feat she gets for the War Domain. I didn't spend her 6th level feat, so you'll need to come up with something for it. Let me know what you think.

Feats

Proficiency Long Sword (Bonus for War Domain)
Weapon Focus Long Sword (Bonus for War Domain)
Magecraft (Free Channeler feat)
Bonus Schools Universal, Transmutation, Lesser Conjuration & Divination
Spell Casting Necromancy (1st Feat)
Spell Casting Abjuration (1st Bonus)
Weapon Finesse (2nd Bonus)
Quick Draw (Fighter Bonus Feat)
Combat Expertise (Fighter Bonus Feat)
Spell Casting Lesser Evocation (Pureblood Bonus Feat)
Spell Casting Illusion (3rd Feat)
(6th Feat) Unused
Craft Spell Talisman (Channeler Bonus Feat)

Last edited:

Remove ads