• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

solo characters

lexoanvil

First Post
long story short i might be involved in a solo campaign. wondering if their are any potential things i should be prepared for and what potential modifications that would be beneficial to my character.

from a role playing perspective he is a bounty hunter who will be tracking down numerous outlaws and deadly monsters accompanied by his companion Pitch, a finch native to the FeyWild.

i have been given a heads up that some "jobs" as my dm has put it will have a companion helping me but i want to be able to not be helpless while i don't.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 1
Bugbear, Rogue|Ranger
Hybrid Ranger: Hybrid Ranger Fortitude
Hybrid Talent: Ranger Fighting Style
Ranger Fighting Style: Beast Mastery (Hybrid)
Beast Companion Type: Raptor
Background: Occupation - Bounty Hunter (+2 to Stealth)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 11, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 11, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 8.

AC: 16 Fort: 15 Reflex: 15 Will: 11
HP: 23 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 5

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +9, Athletics +9, Stealth +13, Thievery +9, Perception +6, Nature +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance, Heal +1, History, Insight +1, Intimidate +1, Religion, Streetwise -1

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent( beast mastery)

POWERS
Hybrid Ranger at-will 1: Twin Strike
Hybrid Rogue at-will 1: Riposte Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Synchronized Strike
Hybrid daily 1: Duelist's Prowess

ITEMS
Leather Armor, Short sword (Large) (2)
RITUALS
Raise Beast Companion

Companion: Pitch
FeyWild Finch (raptor)

this character seems perfectly playable, but you need to make sure to stay out of melee as long as you can. with riposte strike you have a very high damaging attack that you can use when your companion is flanking. The only thing you could be worried about is healing...

what i find weird is the 2 shorswords (large)... just looked it up: you can´t use them if you are medium sized... use normal shortswords instead and maybe a longbow for ranged combat...

Last edited:

Amaroq

Community Supporter
You're very nicely combat optimized - but if you're going solo I'm not sure I'd recommend Charisma as a dump stat; Int might be better. You may also be better off accepting 17's or 16's in your top stats and minimizing your weaknesses; as a solo, weaknesses are big liabilities.

If this were one of my campaigns, you'd want additional Charisma and Wisdom for your chosen mission, as you'd need good Perception and Bluff scores. I'd probably train Bluff at a cost of either Acrobatics or Athletics.

lexoanvil

First Post
this character seems perfectly playable, but you need to make sure to stay out of melee as long as you can. with riposte strike you have a very high damaging attack that you can use when your companion is flanking. The only thing you could be worried about is healing...

what i find weird is the 2 shorswords (large)... just looked it up: you can´t use them if you are medium sized... use normal shortswords instead and maybe a longbow for ranged combat...
bugbears can use a weapen size larger than them as a racial.

You're very nicely combat optimized - but if you're going solo I'm not sure I'd recommend Charisma as a dump stat; Int might be better. You may also be better off accepting 17's or 16's in your top stats and minimizing your weaknesses; as a solo, weaknesses are big liabilities.

If this were one of my campaigns, you'd want additional Charisma and Wisdom for your chosen mission, as you'd need good Perception and Bluff scores. I'd probably train Bluff at a cost of either Acrobatics or Athletics.
maybe go 18/12/18/8/10/12 it is 2 more hp per fight (if you use second wind and one more surge per day)

I would consider higher will defense, but this will lower your fort... but you will get an additional point of constitution so that you qualify for hide armor from the beginning... so you give up 1 point of strength based attacks and one point of fort to get better will and AC...

Each point of AC is worth a lot in solo campaigns as you are the only one who is attacked and you are fokussed... so the action economy will be against you and it ma elp you stay up longer...
its however your better attack stat which take a hit, because it will be the attribute you use 75% of the time...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I would agree any deficiency in the characters general capability either needs be minimal or filled by the classic heros companion .. how about a sorceror/(insert leader here) hybrid

Amaroq

Community Supporter
Yeah, that's very similar to what I was thinking in build.

I was considering suggesting 17-13-17-8-12-13 .. this will be noticeably weaker at Level 1 (as you'll have a 5% lower to-hit chance, as well as lower Fort and Reflex defenses). However, it does get you Hide armor; the Level 4 upgrade will get you back on par with 18-13-18, and you can use the Level 8 upgrade to bump Cha to 14 for an extra point of Will defense.

My thinking there is "added versatility, long-term success and enjoyability" rather than "optimized for combat performance in levels 1-3" .. that's very much a DM-specific decision, though. If your DM is going to run you through plenty of entertaining non-combat scenarios (sneaking up on bandit camps, infiltrating bandit camps only to turn on them, fast-talking your way out of trouble) then I'd go with the build I'm suggesting. If your DM is going to be a bit more of the "roll Stealth. Okay, you sneak up on them and have Surprise. What do you do?" type, then I'd go with UngeheuerLich's suggestions and pretty much ignore all of my posts.

Incidentally, on choice of race, these 3 each have some usefulness for a solo:

Half-orc gives the same Strength/Dex bonuses. However, a couple of their racial powers might make Level 1 combat more survivable:
- 5 THP when first bloodied - because you don't have any other healing
- +2 speed when charging - ideal for surprise rounds
- +1[W] damage once per encounter - nothing to scoff at

Goliath - Strength/Con
- +1 Will defense - which is your weakness
- Resist 5 to all damage 1/encounter - very useful when outnumbered early in a fight

Dragonborn - Strength/Cha
- Cha boost would be powerful in a less combat-focused campaign
- Extra hit points on healing surge - nice as you don't have healing
- Dragon breath - close blast 3 will be useful when outnumbered
- +1 att when bloodied - could help when you need it most

Remove ads