[Solo] The Legend of S'Urok

Sparky

The Legend of S'Urok

Moonlight, cold and brittle, falls on the quiet of a sleeping army. Soldiers, tents and palisades all rendered stark in the hard brightness. A wind carrying the scent of tethered mounts, leather and wood smoke shrills through the camp swirling the embers of one small fire. A huddled figure sits close, minding a pot suspended over crackling flames.

Two small points of firelight gleam from within a deep, concealing hood and the figure speaks, voice rich, low and measured, "You have come. Sit."

Banners snap and pop as the wind gusts. The fire leaps, illuminating the face within the hood. A face best forgotten. The deep voice commands, "Sit!"

Pinpoints of reflected firelight flare and vanish within the hood and the figure hunches once again, hands plucking weakly at heavy, tattered robes. Through clenched teeth the deep voice grates, "For the brew will soon be ready and you will hear, for the last time, the Legend of S'Urok."

The fire flares again, bright and hot, searing. Burning into whiteness...

The sheeting, white snow is blinding, biting. Cold. It is night. The pyre flame leaps and roars as the wind shreds its orange-red tongues, raggedly illuminating the figures that chant and push and crowd as close to the pyre as they dare. The smoke and smell of burning flesh is torn away by the shrieking wind. The dark structure within the flames shifts and embers fly. Orc warriors stretch up their hands to touch the embers, never pausing in their chanting, stamping. Mud at their feet, churned the ice and snow and earth, freezes again as the surging throng passes.

S'Urok can clearly see the structure within the flame. It is a rough thing, and swiftly made. Jaws, fangs and horn crudely described in wood and rope. Mah-kur Muru-ket. Who will bear the sprits of these warriors to Kamakur. With a great crack the structure shifts again, and a multitude of embers swirl into the sky. The orcs together utter a massive and guttural cheer.

Mourners sob and tear their hair and cut their hands, dripping blood into the ice. Crimson gems of sorrow. The Red Sharks were found dead in the wilderness. They were not the first. Some say that Shark has turned away from Crunching Ships. Abandoned the Crunching Ships clan like Kraken.

Geiti thunders at the bodies wreathed in flame, "Red Sharks! Go to Kamakur - to the Dragon!" The orcs surge and howl around Geiti, their chanting growing louder. "Shaman!" Geiti roars, "Come Shaman - the time is near!"

The Shaman growls and only S'Urok can hear. S'Urok and his ever-present shadows, Brahga and Stumbin. "Yes, my chief." The last word is bitter on Hul'Kilay's tongue. He spits it. The old shaman, deep within his furs, hobbles to the pyre.

An old battle, that one.

Oblivious, Stumbin's steady stream of words pours forth, "...and so I suspect that dragons were aquatic creatures once. Given vestigial structures discovered in some more intact specimens... AArrhh!" The bright-eyed gnome cries out and Brahga roughly grabs the small brown hand in his calloused large one. He grins, broken, crooked teeth baring. The old orc bodily swings the gnome around toward S'Urok and shows him the gnome's hand. A bright ember dies on the open palm and Brahga looks at the paragon, "Look, S'urok, mashaka, the little one will die a warrior's death after all." Brahga shoves the gnome down and Stumbin mewls, cooling his hand in the snow.

Where Hul'Kilay has been your spiritual guide, Brahga has been your martial one. He is straightforward and direct. There is little of guile or subtlety in this scarred old warhorse. He looks at you, eyes dark, reflecting the leaping flames.

"So, mashaka," begins Brahga, "A new militia forms. Under what spirit will you lead it?" His faith that your totem will come to you before the new moon is unquestioning.

At the pyre Hul'Kilay reaches into the inferno and screams as the flames engulf his hand. He pulls out a flaming spar and draws a sign in the air with it. The symbol of Shark. It glows and the chanting rises. Buoyed on orcish howling it rises and rises, ignoring the sheeting sleet and snow and banshee wind. It rises. And all below, Brahga, and even Stumbin, howl until breath fails them and all can only watch the symbol, breathless, silent, until it disappears from view.

When it is gone, the flames wink out, vanishing. The pyre is cold, as if the flame had never been. Neither the flame nor the bodies of the fallen orcs. The assemblage departs, moving silently in every direction. Not a word is spoken. Nor will one be until the dawn. The blackened frame sits, jaws shut, sated, dark and skeletal. Snow finally begins to drift up against it.

Hul'Kilay makes his way to you cradling his arm. His eyes bore into yours and he keeps moving. He is headed for the caves. And you are to follow.

Now.

OOC
RG

Last edited:

Ghostknight

First Post
S'Urok looks at Brahga

When the militia forms I will be wearing the spirit of my totem as my shield and sword. Which one it is I don't know. Maybe it will be a traditional one, or maybe this new land will birth for us a new totem to replace the old. Would that not be fitting, that I, S'Urok, hope of our people bring a new totem to replce those that have fled? A new totem for new strength, a new totem to show that we can be masters in this place!

He laughs at the look of Brahga. Interpreting the look of horror as fear for the nameless one that over shadows their lives.

Maybe it is time for things to change. Maybe it is time tht we ruled ourselves and let the elves and humans know that we are not the fodder for theor swords and wills!

With that he grips Brahga's hand in the clench of a warrior.

I follow to find my totem, when I return I shall continue as a warrior, as brother in arms to all who have gone before me and served our people. Let it be known, we will return to greatness!

So saying he turns and waits for the pyre to burn out, retreating into silence, watching as the Shaman burns the shark symbol into the air - howling with the rest, keeping his loud, harsh note going until the symbol fades from sight.

He watches as Hul'Kilay walks past, but before following goes to the burnt out frame, cutting his hand to drip blood into the ash. Taking some of the he spreads it in war markings across his face, into his hair and across his chest. He will face his test as a warrior bearing the remnants of a lost totem. So doing he turns and follows the shaman into the cave. Now it is time for destiny to show him how he will achieve greatness!

Last edited:

Sparky

You can feel the old warrior's eyes following you down to the pyre, but he is gone when you turn to follow Hul'kilay.

The way to the shaman's cave is graven into your bones. Carved in ritual lesser creatures would call torture. Just one of many tests of strength and endurance over the hard years of your life. Brahga's voice stirs in memory, "You, S'Urok, mashaka, you could walk backwards in a blizzard, fighting all of the Wizard's Legion and not step off the path to Hul'kilay's cave. Once."Brahga seemed bitter.

Tonight the wind and sleet and snow test Brahga's words. The path is obscured under hard-iced drifts and it is difficult to see more than a few paces in any direction.

Spot and Listen checks, please.

OOC
RG

Last edited:

Ghostknight

First Post
No blasted wind is going to stop me tonight! Snow, wind and the wizard himself be damned- tonight I go to find my guide!

He walks throught the biting wind and snow, pushing forward against the wind, ignoring the biting cold.

No wizard's legions fate? What, you letting me off lightly? Just a little wind to try and stop me?

ooc Rolls online here Spot 21 Listen 8

Sparky

The wind shrieks in reply, drowing all but its own howling from your mind. Shards of ice and snow flash and flicker in the darkness. You bull your way up the mountain and the glow of the shaman's cave looms ahead of you, a fixed and steady beacon in the chaos of the storm. The trees flanking the sides of the cave mouth lash and whip, fierce sentinels standing against the storm. Ears ringing with the wailing and crashing of the wind, two things catch your eye...

Blood, orc blood, two paces ahead and deep, narrow pock marks in the hard packed snow around the mouth of the cave. A lot of them.

A chill that is not weather-borne creeps into your bones.

What do you do? Ah... the most magical words in all of D&D. Oh yeah, please include rolls with your actions.

OOC
RG

Ghostknight

First Post
Thiscursed wind and snow. The old sagas aren't filled with this! But what is going on? Is this another test, or is there a problem? By the blood of the ancients, best to be on the safe side!

He removes his greataxe from behind his back, holding it at the ready. Trying to pierce the the blinding snow he raises his voice in a great shout

Who goes there? Who dares to trespass in the grounds of the Mighty Orcs of the Crunching Ships?

He takes a combat stance, alert for anything that may come at him out the snow.

Sparky

An inarticulate growl issues from the cave and abruptly ends in a gargle of pain. A figure, tall and thin, swaggers to the mouth of the cave dragging a limp form which it throws out into the ice and snow. Hul'kilay, eyes rolling, dazed and bleeding from a gut wound.

Black shifting armor scales grate as the figure moves forward... there's something not right about the way it moves or... its weight. It's weight. It's too light, you realize, as it stands barely crunching the snow benath its feet. Dim golden glows blaze from within a shadowed helm. It raises a sword of dull black metal in salute and bellows in a voice all out of scale with its size.

"Well, orc pup," the voice booms down from the cave, "We meet. I heard you were bold. But willing to break the silence of the pyre and brave the wrath of the spirits?" He pauses and sweeps the helmet off of his head and reveals a rotting grey face, once elven. Probably. Maybe. He laughs and the wrongness at seeing one of the undead lurches in your belly. His armor marks him as an officer in the Wizard's Legion. It is unlikely that he is alone.

The dark blade whips down into a ready position from his salute and the black-armored officer squares off, wind howling past as it blows ice and snow around both of you.

The path leads largely straight to the mouth of the cave, on your left leaf-bare, ice-covered brush and evergreen shrubs give way to a steep drop off in about three paces. On your right, about two paces off, a shelf of stone rears out of the ground stretching behind you and ahead of you all the way to the cave. The dark officer is about ten paces away - under normal circumstances you could charge him easily - and you suspect, he you. The ground is slick, though, with hard ice - it will be dangerous going.

Declare any actions, if combat, roll for initiative. (This is my first PbP game, so if there's anything I'm overlooking or any information you need that I'm not providing, let me know)

Visibilty makes judging the distance difficult, though S'Urok knows the path so well - the officer is about 40' - 50' away. Hul'kilay's groaning body us a pace or two in front of the officer.

Ghostknight

First Post
S'Urok looks around. No one else seems present but the wizards cowardly minions aren't known for their bravery! Thinking of the area around him he thinks

No point in going back- there is no help there, none of the tribe will help me fight the wizards minions! Anyways, Hul'kilay would probably be dead by the time I got back and I need him for my initiation! Going to have to destroy this thing for desecrating the sacred gound of the Crunching ships!

He readies himself, preparing to absorb any attack from the skeleton, moving forward to engage him in combat.

You have died once, are you so ready to die again? Obviously some creatures never learn!

ooc: Move forward and attack (I assume that he can move the 10' safely in this weather?) Initiative Roll = 18

Sparky

At the mouth of the cave the officer's eyes flare, and a deep, echoing growl invites your attack, but he has not moved yet. The wind blows across the jutting cliff face and a drift of snow above crashes down and behind you effectively blocking retreat. Apparently the spirits support your choice to stay.

OOC: It is around 40' to 50' to the officer, S'Urok could definitely make the charge under normal circumstances, but, it's icy, so make a Dex check for me and if he fails it he can advance his normal 20', but can't maintain the charge.

OOC
RG

Last edited:

Ghostknight

First Post
ooc:well, as they say- nothing ventured. nothing gained!

Surok gives in to his rage, letting oose with a howl, he charges at the undead officer of the wiard, only to slip and slide along against the wind and ice (roll ).

Remove ads