Soloing in Sharn

byronhicks

First Post
How would I handle something that would be a solo encounter in Sharn? My character (Johanel) has the Mark of Scribing, and would probably need to seek out the Dragonmark house of Sivis at some point. Perhaps this could be used as a way for my character to earn money when not out adventuring.

Also, as a wizard, he would probably want to get access to Morgrave University at some point. How is this handled? Living Eberron is the first persistent world pbp I've ever played, so I'm not sure how these things resolve themselves.

Patlin

Explorer
A two part response:

I don't think either of those things requires an actual adventure to establish. In LEW, you might handle this type of thing with a post in the general discussion thread or even your character sheet, such as "After adventure 'the obvious deathtrap' and before returning to the Inn, Johanel visited Morgrave University where he paid the membership fee of _________ and did research on ________."

Second part -- If you have something that does need a solo adventure, you can request a DM create it. For example "My character wants to go on a solo quest to kill a mind flayer, anyone willing to DM it for me?"

El Jefe

First Post
I can give you some examples from LEW. In LEW, there is a city (Orussus) where any item in the SRD up to a specified GP value is available to players. This need not be roleplayed out.

I had a character in an adventure in LEW. The character undertook an obligation to go on the adventure. During the adventure, the character decided that he wanted to visit an NPC that he met during the adventure once that adventure (and his obligation) was concluded. That visit would involve considerable travel and would also expose the character to some danger. I concluded that I would need a DM for that, in the interest of fairness to all the other LEW players.

In-character, the character also reasoned that due to the risk of the post-adventure travel, he needed to travel with a larger group. I contacted the DM of the first adventure, stated my character's intentions, and asked if he would be willing to DM a sort of sequel to the adventure he was currently running. He graciously accepted.

The first adventure concluded in Orussus. The DM submitted an adventure proposal to the LEW judges for the sequel. During the downtime, my character went "shopping" in Orussus, and picked up a very nice special item (out of the SRD, but built in a "one from column A, two from column B" fashion). No judge was needed for that, since the item was right out of the SRD and within the stated GP limit for Orussus.

The sequel adventure was approved, and my character did the recruiting for the DM in the LEW tavern (recruiting) thread. A LEW Judge is judging the sequel adventure, even though both the DM and I are LEW Judges (we don't judge adventures that we either play in or DM, unless the DM drops out and the Judge has to take over...in which case another judge picks up where the first left off).

So, there's some flexibility and interpretation here. Just strolling around town...no big deal, just do it. Going on a 3-month trip through the wilderness to retrieve the Stone of Ar...get a DM and a Judge. Generally, if it appears on your character sheet as a result of leveling up, a character judge will look at it anyway, so you may not need to role-play that out. If in doubt, you can always ask in the Detail Discussion thread.

Rystil Arden

First Post
a very nice special item (out of the SRD, but built in a "one from column A, two from column B" fashion).

To curtail the question before it even arises, no, El Jefe does not mean you can use that certain chart to build custom magic items without approval.

El Jefe

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
To curtail the question before it even arises, no, El Jefe does not mean you can use that certain chart to build custom magic items without approval.
I didn't want to clutter up an already lengthy post, but to be specific, I picked up a masterwork composite longbow with a +1 strength modifier, made of darkwood. All 3 of those things are in the SRD and fairly straightforward, and the item as specified easily falls within the Orussus GP limit. I wouldn't expect to find one for sale on every corner, but if you visit every bowyer in town, sooner or later you'll find one or find someone who can make one in a reasonable time. For that reason, I didn't bother to ask another judge, and wouldn't question a player who's character picked up something like that between adventures if I was DMing. Likewise, a +2 mithril broadsword...no problem, again, well within the Orussus GP limit.

Something more exotic than that (for example, the green star dust that a Green Star Adept has to consume), no way. That would require, at the least, judge approval. That specific example would also require a proposal thread to include the stuff (and possibly the Green Star Adept PrC) in LEW, which hasn't happened yet.

Bottom line, if you're not sure, drop a line in Detail Discussion (LEB) or General Discussion (LEW), as appropriate.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Exactly. That item is directly out of the actual purchase rules. I'm just trying to tell them that they can't make, for instance, a 2000 GP item of Shield at will, use activated, for instance, without asking a Judge, claiming that chart of estimated prices as precedent.

byronhicks

First Post
Ok, that addresses spending money, but doesn't address making money. Johanel d'Sivis is a member of House Sivis. Could he work in a House Sivis guild house making money between adventures? Would that have to be roleplayed?

El Jefe

First Post
byronhicks said:
Johanel d'Sivis is a member of House Sivis. Could he work in a House Sivis guild house making money between adventures? Would that have to be roleplayed?
Sounds like either a use of the Profession skill or that some sort of Job System is needed (we have one in LEW). RA, I'll let you handle this one.

In general, that sort of thing is a little tricky in a living world, mainly because time is so fluid. I mean, if you walk out the the tavern one RL day, and walk back in the next RL day claiming that 4 years of game time have passed, and that you've spent it all raking it in at the guild house, you could have quite a pile to spend on "phat lewts". There are various ways of dealing with this, but I don't know how LEB is going to do it.

byronhicks

First Post
Ok, that brings me to a different question. Could I sell my House Sivis services in the tavern? Best I could do right now is arcane mark, but I will be able to do sending eventually. This would be done on a more realistic time frame, and would be dependent upon demand.

El Jefe

First Post
byronhicks said:
Ok, that brings me to a different question. Could I sell my House Sivis services in the tavern? Best I could do right now is arcane mark, but I will be able to do sending eventually. This would be done on a more realistic time frame, and would be dependent upon demand.
Mmmm, that depends. Are you selling services to a PC? Probably not too controversial, there, unless it's one of your other characters (and that's strictly verboten). Selling to NPCs? Well, first, how many NPCs come into the Tower's Shard looking to buy arcane marks? It doesn't seem like that kind of place to me.

Remove ads