Solving the "Let's Rob the Magic Shop" Problem

I'm a huge fan of magic shops. It is one of my most favorite things to describe as a DM. Magic shops in my campaigns are often full of colorful characters, and bizarre artifacts (some very dangerous). By presenting the magic shop as a fun place to visit and interact with, rather than an expensive place full of things they want, I tend to prevent this issue from even coming up. Many of the items in the store also don't come with instructions. The items may have trigger words and specific ways to use them, that they'll probably need the shopkeeper for.

Thomas Bowman

First Post
My go-to solution is the epic-level shopkeeper, but I've got to admit it's pretty ham-handed. How else do you keep a gang of wild murderhobos from taking all of a 3rd level commoner's worldly goods and breaking your economy?

Role up an An Ancient Silver Dragon and make him or her the shop keeper, what she has to sell is its treasure, if someone wants to be a "murder hobo" let him slay the dragon to get her treasure without paying for it! Make sure the dragon is sufficiently formidable to provide a challenge should the player character wish to go this route.

S

Sunseeker

I just want to throw this out there: I have never once even thought of robbing the magic item shop. I may play paladins, but even on my jokingly "Chaotic Money" characters just up and robbing the guy with all the cool :):):):) really doesn't cross my mind. Like I get the point of ya know, wanting more loot...but couldn't the even more simple solution here just be for the DM to say "NO"?

Thomas Bowman

First Post
Its unrealistic that the curator of a magic shop would be a low level character, the shop will only be open when he is there, and when he's not, it will be closed and magically trapped, stealing the magic items in his shop should be just as dangerous as going into a dungeon and finding magic items there. What ever the shop owner has to sell will be his treasure, so the encounter and the treasure should match, that means that whatever the guard owner uses to guard his magic items should be of sufficient challenge to be worthy of what is being guarded. So the player has a choice, either steal it or buy it.

Thomas Bowman

First Post
I just want to throw this out there: I have never once even thought of robbing the magic item shop. I may play paladins, but even on my jokingly "Chaotic Money" characters just up and robbing the guy with all the cool :):):):) really doesn't cross my mind. Like I get the point of ya know, wanting more loot...but couldn't the even more simple solution here just be for the DM to say "NO"?
"No" is no fun at all, if he players want to steal it, let them, and then the owner of the shop will be after them and so will the town guard. Instead of saying no, how about yes with consequences? That is more fun in a role playing session. If the players want to be criminals let them, isn't that what Rogues are for anyway?

S

Sunseeker

"No" is no fun at all, if he players want to steal it, let them, and then the owner of the shop will be after them and so will the town guard. Instead of saying no, how about yes with consequences? That is more fun in a role playing session. If the players want to be criminals let them, isn't that what Rogues are for anyway?

No, it really isn't. I have never had fun when the party does stuff like this. I have no interest in running them through GTA: D&D.

Psikerlord#

Explorer

yeah I think it's an extension of the social contract to play - you dont rob the magic shop, or the baron's treasury, etc - even though it might make good sense to after a few levels.

Remove ads