• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some interesting news about 4th edition

Jupp

Explorer
Is this the newest way for WotC to test the waters for stuff they want to implement but are not sure how people would react to it? ;)

Aeric

Explorer
I predicted this back in the April Fool's 4e thread earlier this year (sorry, no link). Of course, I was only kidding. Maybe I have...the Shining?? :confused:

As for those who discount the idea of a "collectible" RPG, just take a look at the D&D Miniatures. I don't know how well those are doing, but they must be making some kind of money, since WOTC is still making new ones....

A sick, sadistic part of me actually wants to see this happen. I kinda miss learning new game systems. ;)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Aeric said:
IAs for those who discount the idea of a "collectible" RPG, just take a look at the D&D Miniatures.

Collectible minis are not a collectible RPG line. Apples and oranges, my friend.

Aris Dragonborn

First Post
Nah. Integrating a card mechanic into 4E ain't gonna happen, IMHO. But I could see them using Dominaria as a campaign setting (if they haven't already considered it), or even making it the official setting of 4E.

It's possible that they could make the card mechanic optioanl, but unless they can be assured of the cards selling well, they probably wouldn't do it.

So I think that this is a no-go, but Dominaria as a setting is a possibility, albeit a remote one.

drakhe

First Post
What's next? Collectible RPG??

:lol: That would be .... . Imagine playing sealed deck DnD. Or doing a Forgotten realms booster draft. I hope Collectible DnD comes with a shrink referal as DM's will go nuts everytime a player comes to the table with that new rare feat he just pulled out of a booster...

[getting my tongue out of my cheek, I don't mind spending money on my prime hobby, but that would be a final straw. As hinted at in previous posts, I would just stick to my existing library]

Last edited:

Rasyr

Banned
Banned
I think that it is amusing that a number of folks are presuming that the incorporation of collectible elements means a replacement of normal dice mechanics. It doesn't have to mean that, nor did the original post mention that. What it did mention was a rumor that he had heard that it would incorporate cards along the lines of Feat cards, spell cards, etc...

Also, while a number of folks here on these forums are opposed to the idea, not everyone has stated opposition, a number of folks have looked at the idea as "intriguing", while others have adopted a "wait and see" attitude.

If this sort of trend continues, that would mean a possible loss of maybe 1/3 of the current customer base, but it would also have the potential of bringing in all the untold millions of MtG players.

If this rumor is true, its final implementation would rely on math. On whether or not the inclusion of collectible card elements would increase the overall number of players.

Personally, I think 4e will be more minis oriented, as that gives it more of a "toy factor", which Hasbro would like. I can see this rumor as a possibility, but not a high one.

talien

Community Supporter
Rasyr said:
You might want to check back with him and verify that his source actually said "integrated with M:TG" as opposed to the source saying that "it will use cards like M:tG". There is a world of distance between the two.
And it will look like...

Remove ads