D&D General Some Interesting Stats About D&D Players!

Did you know that the majority of current D&D players started with 5th Edition?

Phandelver-and-Below_Cover-Art_-Art-by-Antonio-Jose-Manzanedo-1260x832.jpg

The full cover spread for Phandelver and Below, by Antonio José Manzanedo

GeekWire has reported on the recent D&D press event (which I've covered elsewhere). Along with all the upcoming product information we've all been devouring over the last day or two, there were some interesting tidbits regarding D&D player demographics.
  • 60% of D&D players are male, 39% are female, and 1% identify otherwise
  • 60% are “hybrid” players, who switch between playing the game physically or online
  • 58% play D&D on a weekly basis
  • 48% identify as millennials, 19% from Generation X and 33% from Generation Z
  • The majority of current D&D players started with 5th Edition

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think we cleared up the first bit, it is about the edition current players started with. Not sure why 2e had more staying power, but apparently it did.

As to people starting with 3e or 4e still playing that rather than 5e, I doubt it, they too dropped off imo. No idea why 2e disproportionately did not however.
To be fair, TSR produced enough 2E content to keep someone playing for decades.

mamba

Legend
Well, it comes back to feelings again I suppose. As a D&D player that doesn't patronize WotC any longer, and uses other rules and/or non-current editions, I dislike the implication that I am not, in fact, playing D&D. I know there are plenty of folks who are in the same situation and may feel the same way. To me, it is a self-serving lie and I don't care for it. If you're going to advertise, take out an ad.
well, technically they are correct, you are not playing D&D but something similar that has a different name. That you want to consider this to all be in the ‘D&D family’ is your prerogative, but that doesn’t mean WotC now has to lump LU or TV into D&D.

They probably do see them as 5e 3pps however, if they ever published a survey about 3pps

mamba

Legend
To be fair, TSR produced enough 2E content to keep someone playing for decades.
no doubt, not that you even need content (homebrew), I don’t think this is true for 2e only however - unless you think it is the settings that made no returns in 3e and 4e, like Spelljammer and Planescape (did either? not sure, the other major ones did though afaik)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
no doubt, not that you even need content (homebrew), I don’t think this is true for 2e only however - unless you think it is the settings that made no returns in 3e and 4e, like Spelljammer and Planescape (did either? not sure, the other major ones did though afaik)
It is most true of 2E, and by a long shot. A simply flabbergasted array of products.

Hussar

Legend
Sure, can't fault your math. But those 100 aren't just a statistically insignificant demographic. They are 100 real people who love the game and may feel that they are being implicitly told that they don't matter anymore, without even a thank you for staying and keeping the game alive during the lean years when the company that no longer cares about them needed them. People's feeling affect their behavior.

Without a thank you???

Seriously?

What do you call 5e? A massive fan service edition that was all about catering to existing fans.

How much thank you do you think you deserve?

* If now the production of toys are so expensive... then should Hasbro talk with Playmobil for a licencing? Not only D&D but also Gamma World and Final Frontiers. If they are going to sell LEGO Tranformers and LEGO D&D, why not D&D Playmobil? And boxes with a vintage look as hook for collectors.

* 5e was designed to be easy to be learnt by the new generation of players, and this has been a right step.

* Hasbro is more interested into the new generation of players who are going to spend their money in the digital market.

* D&D fandom shouldn't be only who are throwing dices over a tabletop but also who are writting their own (fanfiction) plots. Some fantasy saga started as a D&D game.

* Hollywood doesn't worry too much about the age of the people who go to the cinemas to watch superheroes movies.

* Hasbro would rather worry about who is going to wear the T-shirts with pictures of D&D, and that type of merchandising.

Remove ads

Remove ads