D&D General Some Interesting Stats About D&D Players!

Did you know that the majority of current D&D players started with 5th Edition?

Phandelver-and-Below_Cover-Art_-Art-by-Antonio-Jose-Manzanedo-1260x832.jpg

The full cover spread for Phandelver and Below, by Antonio José Manzanedo

GeekWire has reported on the recent D&D press event (which I've covered elsewhere). Along with all the upcoming product information we've all been devouring over the last day or two, there were some interesting tidbits regarding D&D player demographics.
  • 60% of D&D players are male, 39% are female, and 1% identify otherwise
  • 60% are “hybrid” players, who switch between playing the game physically or online
  • 58% play D&D on a weekly basis
  • 48% identify as millennials, 19% from Generation X and 33% from Generation Z
  • The majority of current D&D players started with 5th Edition

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
There is no misrepresentation. D&D is their brand. You may use the term to describe non WoTC games as D&D but WoTC cannot acknowledge that or risk loosing access to their trademark.
3e, 3.5, and 4e aren't non-WotC games, and they own all previous editions that ran under that name.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
If the last Boomer was born in 1964 and the first Gen X popped unenthusiatically into the world in 1965, there's going to be some overlap in the late 70s to mid 80s. Who was the average D&D player at this time? I'm guessing it was a middle class white male ranging in age from adolescence through their mid-20s.
Yeah, of course. I just think that the number of Boomers (who were in the majority when the game was imagined and designed) where quickly outstripped by GenX after it was printed and marketed. Not only does that make sense, but it matches everything that we know.

Sure. And the thing to remember is that generation divisions based on years are somewhat arbitrary. It's not like we collectively decide to stop having kids for 3-5 years to ensure there's a reasonable amount of space between the generations. Depending on when they were born in the year, it's entirely possible some Gen Xers and Boomers were in 1st grade together.
Yeah, but nobody's saying that No Boomers Were (or Are) Playing D&D. They are!

It's just that it's possible that it's less than 1% of current players. It's CERTAINLY possible that it's less than 1% of 5e players (it's possible that it's larger than 1% for early-edition holdouts, but that's not guaranteed; that just passes the "feel" test).

Oofta

Legend
It wouldn't be, to them. But D&D is more than what WotC is currently selling or planning to sell, and they're saying it isn't. That is misrepresentation.

But it wasn't what the presentation was about. The topic was the current plans for the game they publish. Talking about anything but the current edition would have been misleading the target audience. Assuming anyone even has hard data on people playing different versions of D&D.

It's kind of like people giving a presentation on what kinds of ice cream are popular and then saying they're being misleading because they didn't talk about pie. They weren't being misrepresentative of anything.

Take off the tinfoil hat man! Who do they need to justify their behavior to? Why would it benefit them to make decisions that run counter to the "real" data, and then publish "fake" data to "justify" their poor decisions?

What, you think if the grognards only truly knew their power, they would rise up in great numbers and cast down the fools running WotC and D&D?
I mean, you ignored the rest of the posting where I emphasized that I was not a conspiracy theorist, but rather someone who is just deeply cynical about things the people doing corporate PR say, whatever the corporation, specifically to head off anyone taking the comment in the light you just have. But you do you.

Remove ads

Remove ads