D&D General Some Interesting Stats About D&D Players!

Did you know that the majority of current D&D players started with 5th Edition?

Phandelver-and-Below_Cover-Art_-Art-by-Antonio-Jose-Manzanedo-1260x832.jpg

The full cover spread for Phandelver and Below, by Antonio José Manzanedo

GeekWire has reported on the recent D&D press event (which I've covered elsewhere). Along with all the upcoming product information we've all been devouring over the last day or two, there were some interesting tidbits regarding D&D player demographics.
  • 60% of D&D players are male, 39% are female, and 1% identify otherwise
  • 60% are “hybrid” players, who switch between playing the game physically or online
  • 58% play D&D on a weekly basis
  • 48% identify as millennials, 19% from Generation X and 33% from Generation Z
  • The majority of current D&D players started with 5th Edition

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Proportions.

There are more (or about the same) Boomers alive today as Xers alive today.
D&D existed when Boomers existed and they played the game.
The market penetration in the eighties was minuscule compared to the current level of market penetration.
Therefore in order for Xers to be 19% of D&D gamers and Boomers being statistically invisible then either

1) There are 15-20 times as many Gen Xers playing D&D than Boomers despite Boomers being equal or greater in population and having more free time due to having fewer minor children and more likely to be retired
So, in my opinion this is perfectly possible.
or
2) The "D&D" in the D&D player base is only a subset of D&D (ie one edition) that Boomer D&D typically do not fancy.
or
3) The numbers are off or the survey has an error in which actual Boomer numbers were not recorded, lumped in another group, or skewed through the method of surveying.

The number should be small but not less than 1%.
D&D has gone from a very minor thing to almost mainstream.

MGibster

Legend
Well, no, that's the thing, the target audience at that time period would mostly be Gen Xers.
If the last Boomer was born in 1964 and the first Gen X popped unenthusiatically into the world in 1965, there's going to be some overlap in the late 70s to mid 80s. Who was the average D&D player at this time? I'm guessing it was a middle class white male ranging in age from adolescence through their mid-20s.

Do you? I think many of them would still count as GenX. Didn't it have a LOT of kids playing it then, even though it wasn't what they'd originally intended?
Sure. And the thing to remember is that generation divisions based on years are somewhat arbitrary. It's not like we collectively decide to stop having kids for 3-5 years to ensure there's a reasonable amount of space between the generations. Depending on when they were born in the year, it's entirely possible some Gen Xers and Boomers were in 1st grade together.

Reef

Hero
I think it goes without saying that when they say "D&D" they mean, "The D&D that we are currently designing, printing, and selling". That (by itself) doesn't make them dishonest.
Exactly. I’m not sure why anyone would expect a company to have to specify that their market research only applies to the actual current market. Or that when they refer to their product they only mean the current version. That’s just common sense, isn’t it?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If the last Boomer was born in 1964 and the first Gen X popped unenthusiatically into the world in 1965, there's going to be some overlap in the late 70s to mid 80s. Who was the average D&D player at this time? I'm guessing it was a middle class white male ranging in age from adolescence through their mid-20s.

Sure. And the thing to remember is that generation divisions based on years are somewhat arbitrary. It's not like we collectively decide to stop having kids for 3-5 years to ensure there's a reasonable amount of space between the generations. Depending on when they were born in the year, it's entirely possible some Gen Xers and Boomers were in 1st grade together.
That's a point, but when the game really hit big with Moldvay the target audience would have been solidly Gen X.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
There are not misrepresenting themselves, they are the owners of an IP and trademark called D&D, to admit to a wider category of things called D&D as you do, would endanger their trademarks by the term "Dungeons and Dragons" generic.
That "wider category of things called D&D" includes all previous editions of the game that were at the time (and since) in fact called D&D.

They own - and are the custodians of - all of D&D, not just 5e. Their using the D&D trademark to refer to an older edition of the same game doesn't impinge on that trademark in the slightest.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
If you want to define D&D that way that fine, you can if you want to. Why is WotC lying just because they disagree with you?
Well, it comes back to feelings again I suppose. As a D&D player that doesn't patronize WotC any longer, and uses other rules and/or non-current editions, I dislike the implication that I am not, in fact, playing D&D. I know there are plenty of folks who are in the same situation and may feel the same way. To me, it is a self-serving lie and I don't care for it. If you're going to advertise, take out an ad.

Remove ads

Remove ads