• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some "magic fang" and "metal fang" questions (D&D 3.5)

If I have a druid who turns into something that has multiple attacks with different natural weapons (like a lion) and want to use "metal fang," do I have to cast it on each foot and the mouth (5 times total), or just on claw and bite (2 times total) or claw, bite, and rend (3 times total)?

Can I cast "magic fang" in addition to "metal fang" on the same natural weapons?

"Magic fang" doesn't help against damage reduction (with a werewolf, for example), right?

Thanks!

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Well, to excerpt some of the text of the spell (Complete Champion, right?):

rules said:
You temporarily transform one of the subject's natural weapons into either cold iron or silvered, ...(emphasis mine)

So one casting per natural weapon - one for the bite, one for the right foreclaw, one for the left foreclaw, one for the right rear claw, one for the left rear claw. If you can't do all 5, pick your best option(s).

As for the rake (with the lion example), you have 2 rear claws on which to cast the spell to get the benefit for each of the (usually 2) rake attacks.

rules said:
Rake (Ex): A creature with this special attack gains extra natural attacks when it grapples its foe. Normally, a monster can attack with only one of its natural weapons while grappling, but a monster with the rake ability usually gains two additional claw attacks that it can use only against a grappled foe. Rake attacks are not subject to the usual –4 penalty for attacking with a natural weapon in a grapple... (emphasis mine)

Meanwhile, magic fang gives you a +1 enhancement bonus which is enough to penetrate DR #/magic. And I don't see any reason to preclude both being cast on the natural weapon in question.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Magic fang and metal fang look to be clear about affecting "one natural weapon" not "one natural attack type." I would say a lion would need 5 castings to cover all 4 claws and its bite. Same with metal fang. I don't see any reason why one cannot have magic fang and metal fang active on the same natural weapon. And you are correct, magic fang does not help against any DR other than DR/magic.

Remove ads