• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some Magic Items PEACH

Talysian

Explorer
O.k. I'm running a low magic game. Most of the stuff given out is goign to be boons/training/Tatto's/and Dragon Mark (type powers). However I plan on each character gaining 1-2 Major Magic Items per Tier. The one's for Heroic I'm going to list Stats below. Please Evaluate and Critique Honestly.

Rod of the Silver River
Property: Add 1 Square to all Teleport powers
Critical: 1d6 Per Enhancement Bonus
Encounter: Free action Curse any target in sight
Daily: You May use your Eldritch Blast Ability at one or two
Targets.

Elit Druin
Property: +2 to Alchemy, Arcana & History Skill Checks, may treat
these as if trained.
Encounter: Free Action add a +1 to Any D20 roll just made.
Daily: Free Action: Reroll any D20 roll just made, you must keep
the second result.

Blade of the Word
Property: May use Arcana in place of Perception.
At Will: Free Action: All Damage Dealt by this weapon is Force
Damage.
Encounter: Immediate Interrupt: When Struck by an attack: Add
your enhancement bonus to the defense targeted.
Daily: Minor Action: The Sword radiates with bright light,
causing all enemies within ten squares to take a -2 to
attack rolls. (this does not effect blind enemies)

Staff of the Frost Wyrm
Property: Gain Resist 5 to Cold (If you already have it add 2 to
your resistance).
At Will: Free Action: All Damage Dealt by this weapon is Cold
Damage.
Encounter: Free Action: Your attack Slows the targets until the end of
your next turn.
Daily: Free Action: Your Attack Immobilizes the Targets Save
ends.

The Stehil
Property: The Stehil can cut through any substance. Deal Extra
damage equal to your enhancement bonus with combat
advantage. +2 To Stealth Checks.
Critical: 1d8 per Enhancement Bonus
At Will: Free Action when you drop an enemy to 0 hp, get 5
temporary HP per Tier.

Risca’s Chainmail
Property: Add Enhancement Bonus to all Healing Powers. +2 to all
Heal checks.
Critical: When you crit with an attack 1 ally within 5 squares may
spend a healing surge.
At Will: Free Action: You may take a -1 (per tier) to AC;
all adjacent allies gain a +1 (Per Tier) to AC until the end
of your next turn.
Encounter: Immediate Interrupt: When an adjacent Ally is hit, redirect
the attack to you, if it would miss your ac it misses. If not it
damages you instead.
Daily: Minor Action. Until the end of your turn, each character
healed by one of your encounter powers or daily powers
regains additional hit points equal to 1d10 + your Cha mod

Dwarven Forged Hammer
Property: +2 to Nature & Perception , Add con modifier to
Damage while in Guardian Form
Critical: 1d6 per Enhancement Bonus (1d8 in Guardian Form)
At Will: Free Action: All Damage Dealt by this weapon is Fire
Damage.
Encounter: Free Action: Trigger: You hit with an Opportunity attack.
Add 1d8 (per tier) Fire damage to the attack.
Daily: Free Action. Trigger: You hit an enemy with your
warden’s fury power using this weapon. Effect: That
enemy takes ongoing fire damage equal to 5(per tier) +
your Strength modifier (save ends).

Saagael

First Post
Rod of the Silver River:

I would bump the critical damage to d8s or d10s, since it's intended for a Feylock by the looks of it and they seem to like the controllery powers that don't deal so much damage. If the player is filling your controller role, rather than a true striker role, I'd consider making the daily power something that does more control, or is a super-teleport power, or both. Eldritch blast (in my experience) is almost ignored past level 5 or 6 since the other at-wills become much more useful.

Elit Druin:

I'm curious what "may treat these as if trained" means. Does that mean the player gets the +5 trained bonus (which can be argued) or does it mean that they can do anything that requires training in those skills, but don't get the +5. If it's the former, that's really powerful, since it's like two multiclass feats in one item.

The encounter seems sub-par, since you'll be unlikely to use it every combat. Though when you do need it, I'm sure it'll be a wonderful power. Other than that, I can't really give any better advice since I don't know who it's meant for (seems like maybe a wizard, but I don't know what the name means, so I can't be sure.

Blade of the Word:

This looks like a swordmage weapon, though correct me if I'm wrong. In my opinion, using arcana in place of perception is dangerous for one simple reason: In any skill challenge the guy trained in arcana can use arcana to perform nearly anything. This depends on how you run skill challenges and skills, but arcana can really be fluffed to do just about anything, and having it replace perception is just another way of letting the players hyperfocus in one skill and spam that skill during skill challenges.

Now, if the party has no guy trained in perception, and the player has an array of other skills they use, then it's fine. It all depends on how you use skills, and you know your players best. The encounter is lackluster to me, since (this is assuming the sword is going to a swordmage or other defender) defenders have the defenses and hit points to take hits (it's their job!), so mitigating one attack per combat is meh, when the role is built to take hits. If this is instead going to some other class that's more squishy, then it's great. The daily is nice, but when does it end? End of combat? End of next turn? End of combat seems powerful since the 10 square range will usually include all combatants. Personally, I would replace the daily power with something more flavorful and fun. I made a sword for my swordmage that allowed him to lock any door (or similar) with an arcana check as an encounter power, and it had a daily power that allowed him or an ally to look like any other medium humanoid for 24 hours. Not very combat-oriented, but if your party likes pulling crazy stunts, this can be a great motivator.

Staff of the Frost Wyrm:

First off, be warned that this might insight frost-cheese. After that, I would replace doing damage on a crit and instead have the weapon restrain the target (save ends). Slowing as an encounter and immobilizing as a daily seems lackluster because both effects can be found on at-wills and encounter power respectively. I'd like to see the daily power become something like "Frost-Wyrm Aura", which is an aura 2 that lasts until the end of the encounter and slows enemies (or creatures, depending on how evil you are :D) if they start their turn in the aura (or does damage, or both. It's up to you, I'm just saying what I think would be more flavorful). It looks like this is going to a wizard, so you don't have to make it so controllery since the wizard will have all those powers already. Make it something that really makes the wizard feel bad-ass! Slowing and immobilizing, by themselves, are not bad-ass.

The Stehil:

First, I love the name. I also like the "cut through anything" bit. Nice and flavorful while still keeping real impact to a minimum. The bonus to damage with CA seems dangerous, since it looks like this is for a rogue, and rogues already get lots of stuff with combat advantage. However, it's probably not game breaking and is a nice static buff. The crit dice look good, to me.

The at-will is good, since it helps the squishy rogue survive. Though I can't help but think that something is missing here... Again, perhaps a utility-like power is needed. Again, I can't really offer much since I don't know how the character is played.

Risca’s Chainmail:

I really like this item, with one exception: If the cleric getting this (assuming it's a cleric) already focuses on healing, then this armor seems like overkill. What I would do is take the deity the cleric worships and put powers in that are inspired by that deity. The daily is alright, but with the static "+enhancement bonus to healing" it might seem redundant when the cleric can heal a character for healing surge+45. The at-will and encounter power look nice and balanced, but the daily seems redundant to me, unless your party finds themselves always needing lots of healing, but then you've got other problems there.

Dwarven Forged Hammer:

Never played or seen a warden played, so you mileage may vary with my advice. That said, I think it looks fairly good as-is. The encounter power is kind of boring, but then again, if your party lacks damage, it's great.

I did something like this for my players, and made them all custom artifact items that match their characters' deity/beliefs. It was quite fun, and they all love the items. Here are the links to the items if you want to check them out (I'm pretty sure you can view them, though I don't know if Obsidian Portal will play nice): Bahamut's Fang, Garb of the Raven Queen, Nature's Bounty, Emblem of the Darkened Sun, Nehima, Charter Blade, Mantle of the Wandering Master

Talysian

Explorer
Thank's so much for the reply!

Let me Break this down a bit.

Rod of the Silver River:

I would bump the critical damage to d8s or d10s, since it's intended for a Feylock by the looks of it and they seem to like the controllery powers that don't deal so much damage. If the player is filling your controller role, rather than a true striker role, I'd consider making the daily power something that does more control, or is a super-teleport power, or both. Eldritch blast (in my experience) is almost ignored past level 5 or 6 since the other at-wills become much more useful.

This is ment for a Feylock which is our controller. She has a "GMTraining Feat" That adds her int to Curse Dmg so that has kind of balanced out.

Area Burst 2 within ten.
Target All Enemies in the Burst
Attk: Cha Vs Will
Effect: Slide the Target up to 3 Squares
Hit: The Target is Immobilized until the end of your next turn.
Miss: The Target is Slowed Save ends.

Perhaps the Daily being: Area Burst 2 within 10. Slide All Creatures up to 3 Squares. Attack CHA vs Will

Elit Druin:

I'm curious what "may treat these as if trained" means. Does that mean the player gets the +5 trained bonus (which can be argued) or does it mean that they can do anything that requires training in those skills, but don't get the +5. If it's the former, that's really powerful, since it's like two multiclass feats in one item.

The encounter seems sub-par, since you'll be unlikely to use it every combat. Though when you do need it, I'm sure it'll be a wonderful power. Other than that, I can't really give any better advice since I don't know who it's meant for (seems like maybe a wizard, but I don't know what the name means, so I can't be sure.

This means they can do stuff that requires training. Does not grant the +5. It's ment for the party in general. (It's something they will have for a while before having to give it back to it's original owner) Probably 2-3 levels.

Blade of the Word:

This looks like a swordmage weapon, though correct me if I'm wrong. In my opinion, using arcana in place of perception is dangerous for one simple reason: In any skill challenge the guy trained in arcana can use arcana to perform nearly anything. This depends on how you run skill challenges and skills, but arcana can really be fluffed to do just about anything, and having it replace perception is just another way of letting the players hyperfocus in one skill and spam that skill during skill challenges.

Now, if the party has no guy trained in perception, and the player has an array of other skills they use, then it's fine.

This is ment for a Swordmage. However as a whole our only healer is a Taclord, so reducing Damage is great. As to skill training Arcana is pretty much the only skill he has that's any good. And we have no one trained in perception. I'm actually thinking sword of omens type deal from Thundercats. (Sight Beyond Sight) As to the Duration It is until the end of his next turn. I forgot to add that.

Staff of the Frost Wyrm:

First off, be warned that this might insight frost-cheese. After that, I would replace doing damage on a crit and instead have the weapon restrain the target (save ends). Slowing as an encounter and immobilizing as a daily seems lackluster because both effects can be found on at-wills and encounter power respectively. I'd like to see the daily power become something like "Frost-Wyrm Aura", which is an aura 2 that lasts until the end of the encounter and slows enemies (or creatures, depending on how evil you are :D) if they start their turn in the aura (or does damage, or both. It's up to you, I'm just saying what I think would be more flavorful). It looks like this is going to a wizard, so you don't have to make it so controllery since the wizard will have all those powers already. Make it something that really makes the wizard feel bad-ass! Slowing and immobilizing, by themselves, are not bad-ass.

This is ment for a Dragon Sorcerer actually. I went Controllery to give him some ability to get away as he has crap for defenses.

The Stehil:

First, I love the name. I also like the "cut through anything" bit. Nice and flavorful while still keeping real impact to a minimum. The bonus to damage with CA seems dangerous, since it looks like this is for a rogue, and rogues already get lots of stuff with combat advantage. However, it's probably not game breaking and is a nice static buff. The crit dice look good, to me.

The at-will is good, since it helps the squishy rogue survive. Though I can't help but think that something is missing here... Again, perhaps a utility-like power is needed. Again, I can't really offer much since I don't know how the character is played.

Thank's he tends to move a lot and provoke a lot of aoo's so the extra hp will be helpful. I do feel like it could use a touch more. Maybe Auto hid for the first attack of the combat. And invisible while carried on your person.

Risca’s Chainmail:

I really like this item, with one exception: If the cleric getting this (assuming it's a cleric) already focuses on healing, then this armor seems like overkill. What I would do is take the deity the cleric worships and put powers in that are inspired by that deity. The daily is alright, but with the static "+enhancement bonus to healing" it might seem redundant when the cleric can heal a character for healing surge+45. The at-will and encounter power look nice and balanced, but the daily seems redundant to me, unless your party finds themselves always needing lots of healing, but then you've got other problems there.

Our healer is a taclord so I figured this would help out a bit on this end. There is actually no divine powersource in the setting I'm running ;)

Dwarven Forged Hammer:

Never played or seen a warden played, so you mileage may vary with my advice. That said, I think it looks fairly good as-is. The encounter power is kind of boring, but then again, if your party lacks damage, it's great.

Not really, but the warden himself lacks damage. Actually I may remove this and add a property to give +1(per tier) bonus to attack marked enemies. Hrmm.

I did something like this for my players, and made them all custom artifact items that match their characters' deity/beliefs. It was quite fun, and they all love the items. Here are the links to the items if you want to check them out (I'm pretty sure you can view them, though I don't know if Obsidian Portal will play nice): Bahamut's Fang, Garb of the Raven Queen, Nature's Bounty, Emblem of the Darkened Sun, Nehima, Charter Blade, Mantle of the Wandering Master

For some reason OP is blocked at work. I'll look at them tonight But I've always like the chars to have signature items.

Rachel

First Post

I checked those out and I like them, particularly the Garb; a Shadar-kai PC with that would be fun. :)

Saagael

First Post
I checked those out and I like them, particularly the Garb; a Shadar-kai PC with that would be fun. :)

It's actually a dwarf fighter who has paragon multiclassed into cleric: here's near unkillable at this point. However, the player has used all his utility slots for movement and mobility powers, giving him super runs and jumps, so the flight was only a natural progression. :D

Generally, I find that handing out several small, seemingly "normal" bonuses is much more interesting than one really cool daily power. Mostly because the daily power only looks cool when used, but the small powers look cool all the time.

Remove ads