Some notes on Spam Control & New Users

Jemal

Adventurer
on the subject of Spam, I've noticed a lot of posters in threads that are just copy-pasting a line or two from a post earlier in the same thread in dark text followed by a smiley face.. wutsupwitdat?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Those are spammers.

BTW, Morrus, I was noticing that another site I frequent- GuitarPlayer.com- has a nifty feature: if a post has already been reported, instead of letting the next complainant continue on and file an additional report, they are greeted by the message "This post has already been reported to the moderators." or some such. Then it redirects the would-be reporter back to his or her thread.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Those are spammers.

BTW, Morrus, I was noticing that another site I frequent- GuitarPlayer.com- has a nifty feature: if a post has already been reported, instead of letting the next complainant continue on and file an additional report, they are greeted by the message "This post has already been reported to the moderators." or some such. Then it redirects the would-be reporter back to his or her thread.

that would be nice!

Obryn

Hero
on the subject of Spam, I've noticed a lot of posters in threads that are just copy-pasting a line or two from a post earlier in the same thread in dark text followed by a smiley face.. wutsupwitdat?
The smiley, fwiw, is from a different site.

It may be to harvest data based on how many times the image was accessed.

-O

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Those are spammers.

That wold be nifty for spam. It is not so nifty for other reporting. We only need one report of a spam, but we want to know if multiple people have an issue with behavior.

Scott DeWar

That wold be nifty for spam. It is not so nifty for other reporting. We only need one report of a spam, but we want to know if multiple people have an issue with behavior.

that makes sense - know who the invisible warriors are in the secret war against the dark lords of Spamalia.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Maybe a "Spam" button or option once you click on the report triangle? Obviously wouldn't expect it anytime soon, but it might be nice for you guys once everything settles (and we get our visible XP back... :)).

Scott DeWar

Maybe a "Spam" button or option once you click on the report triangle? Obviously wouldn't expect it anytime soon, but it might be nice for you guys once everything settles (and we get our visible XP back... :)).
and dice roller.

I like the field for typing things like 'green eggs and SPAM!' or some such like that.

Remove ads