Some rules musings

Rathan

First Post
IMO wicht......while were on the subject of rules picking..... I have to say it's really not fair that Holy Day grants immuntiy for the style that is chosen..I mean.... sneaky trick doesn't get immunity.....why should holy day???

(If I think of anything else I don't agree with I'll let you know...:D)

Kalanyr

Explorer
To Rathan: Why does Holy Day make you go first and Sneaky Trick make you go last? Its not fair!

This is the reason Holy Day cannot be used for immunity unless you and your opponent both use the same style that round, which is unlikely. I guess if its a strat match and your opponent has only one effective move left it could be used for immunity too but in this case, I can't see the problem lights don't get to choose our matches so our opponent is probably aware of this.
The immunity is just a side effect of Holy Warrior granting a sig style and the immunity is basically no better than an honour warriors Dojo Style.

Tier 1 Light: Pure Spirit, Holy Day, Holy Warrior, Sig Style
Ter 1 Dark: Foul Spirit Sneaky Trick,Unholy Warrior,Sig Style

Now all else being equal the HD/HW combo shoud be better then ST/UW simply because Darks are not saddled with losing every insult round (ask Gray how useful this is!) and instead always choose their battles.

The Dojo Style not getting immunity is pointless, its 1 move out of 4 at 3rd tier and it just gets worse from there.

Wicht

Hero
Again, I personally like immunities in the fight but how about this change. Leave the honor fighter basically alone. And leave sneaky trick where it is for the Yakuza but make the signature locations provide a psuedo immunity, namely while a fighter attacked with a style he knows is immune to it, a fighter attacked with a location he knows recieves 1 less strike against him down to a minimum of 1. This fits in with the spirit of the path and adds just a little nudge in their power department.

Kalanyr

Explorer
Wicht - this also reduces the Lights edge over Yakuza since mastery is reducable to 1 by this as is Holy Warrior (of course this is assuming the opponents sig loc comes up in your move of course)of course this also increases RoD power but 3 tiers of weakerness does not seem to be a good trade off for really high tier power.

Also with this variant what about the double locations? (-2 to a min of 1?)

Seems fair enough otherwise

Wicht

Hero
heh - it would reduce everyone's power against the yakuza but if you used a mastery in a move you knew was gonna get knocked in advance then I would have no sympathy for you. ;)

reiella

Explorer
To a minimum of 1 point of damage (hopefully applied before perfect/cunning defense then), but it still doesn't answer...

Why do Styles need to be greater than locations?

The only answer that I've seen so far is that because that's the way it's always been... But it causes a big gap in terms of power level. Course immunity seems to be a big sacred cow about this in general, but I feel it will continue to cause problems (1in5 chance of defaulting a round to an honored fighter just doesn't sound fun), and I do hope I am not forced to fight strategy matches whenever I bother to fight a honored fighter because of that...

Also reducing to a minimum of one does pretty nothing unless the opponent happened to use Poison Blade, FoF (and also, need to update the clarification on that, for the second move, do immunities in general apply? from current wording I'd say no as it mentions 'automatically scores'), or actually pull their sig style or location (or force it with mastery).

As it is now, at every tier at except Teir 2 the honored fighter is more likly to pull a 2pt move than the Yakuza, the Yakuza is slightly more likly (7.5x as rare as the 'insigifinicant' modifiers that a green belt or brown belt had in YB1) to generate a 3 point move (without help from their other powers).

[ Add ]
Double locations (the chance of occuring in general being twice as rare as the insignificant modifiers in YB1) is something I would just like to be without as it causes a bit of trouble in itself and as ya know I do want to make the named locations used for something nowadays (the second potential location field).

Last edited:

Wicht

Hero
Why are sig styles greater than locations? The simple answer is because that was the way they were created. The honor have more immunities than anyone else granted, but every path at this point has access to one or more signature styles. I think what we have is a gap between those that like the idea of immunities (which may just be me) and those that feel they are unfair.

Personally Reiella, I wuld think the immunities are less of a big deal in a strategy match where you have the choice not to use them then in a random match were the only way to avoid them is to go fishing.

I do think the Yakuza might be slightly underpowered but I do not hink the honor are overpowered. Not when compared to the other paths sans yakuza. And the fact that you were still able to recently beat Gray, the top ranked fighter, does not really make the case for me that you are suffering. ;)

As for the double locations, I never had any part in designing the generator or how the moves came out...

Vanor

First Post
Myself I like immunities as well, even though they can bite me in the butt as much as they can anyone else. In my fight with Darkwolf, I in effect lost the match, due to the fact that he was immune to one of my sig styles.

I had a tiger move, (one of my sig styles) he also has tiger as a sig style, so I couldn't use it. If I had been able to use it in my fist of fury, I would of won the match.

But IMO this makes a great deal of sense from a RL standpoint. Someone who has mastered a style of fighting, is pretty much immune to that style. He/She knows all the moves and knows how to counter them.

In fact immunity effects honored fighters much more then it does any other path. When two honored fighters face off, you effectively double the number of styles that can't win a round.

But even though immunity effectively cost me a match, I would still hate to see it taken out of the game. Better to give the yak a small bost in power if needed then to "nerf" the honored path. So why not give the sig location a "hardened" ablity, so the use of that location against a yak fighter cuts the point won in the round by 1, with a min of 0.

That would balance things between the two paths much closer, and seems a fitting trade off given the differance between DT, ST, Chi strike and FoF. DT/ST is actualy a bit more useful then Chi Strike or FoF.

And I have to agree that Bribe shouldn't be useable in a round with Chi Strike, it really defeats the whole point of chi strike, and makes the sash path basicly immune to the effects of chi strike.

Last edited:

Wicht

Hero
Vanor said:
And I have to agree that Bribe shouldn't be useable in a round with Chi Strike, it really defeats the whole point of chi strike, and makes the sash path basicly immune to the effects of chi strike.

I liked the idea about 1 yen for each point won better personally. (i.e bribing away a 1 point round cost only 1 yen but bribing away a 3 point round costs 3 yen) I am not sure IC why bribe judges would not affect a move used with chi strike.

Vanor

First Post
I could live with that :) I guess that part of my problem is that Chi Strike was my idea, and I got burned pretty badly by bribe in the past.

The idea behind Chi Strike, was that nothing would effect the current round, DT, FoF, Posion Blade, nothing could change the points generated by that round. As it currently stands, the sash fighter is basicly immune to Chi strike, as there's nothing they can do (until they buy FoF or Posion blade) that Chi Strike effects.

But that was just what I had in mind, if most people feel that the cost of bribing is high enough to balance it, then I'm fine.

Remove ads