• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Something About Bullrush

Goolpsy

First Post
Hey... I experienced a severe problem during our last game session.. I scouted through my 21 d&d book.. but didn't find an answer... (i might have overlooket it.. but hey.. now i give you the chance)

If i bullrush er person.. into another persons space.. what happends?

A = bullrusher
D = Defender
x = unlucky guy being in the way

A
D
X

What happens to D ? where does he stand? and To x? I rules being pushed into a fiend with another guy would making him (D) fall prone.. But.. what happends if X is gonna fight in a space in which D lies Prone?? I did rules too that x had to roll reflex to move to a nearby space.. or fall prone too

I probably didn't rules it very well.. and really good for the Attacker.. but it was a minor battle so i thought.. "what that heck" lets just rules this way.. quick and easy... and ask Enworld

So Smurf, Thanee and all you other Gods in this forum, could you please make a quick interest in my little problem.
Thanks in Advance

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I would read that you can't Bull Rush someone past an obstacle... and another creature counts as an obstacle.

I'd look at the Awesome Blow feat, where if someone is flung into another creature, they still end up in the space adjacent, and the Bigby's Forceful Hand spell, where it notes that someone can Bull Rush the hand 'up against' you, for related examples.

-Hyp.

Goolpsy

First Post
never even seen any describtino mention anything near "cant bullrush someone past an obstacle.."

And really if a Huge thingii.. cant push a medium creature into some other medium creature... then the rules are :):):):)ed up.. Superior strenght is supost to be used:p

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Goolpsy said:
never even seen any describtino mention anything near "cant bullrush someone past an obstacle.."

It's not explicitly stated anywhere, so you can certainly allow it as a DM... but as you found, you're then left with the problem of 'What happens next?'

Similar situations, as noted above, however, seem to indicate that things stop when they hit another creature.

As a possible house rule, I'd consider allowing the ogre to shove the rogue into the wizard and then carry on driving both of them backward (still each in his own square), but at the point where the rogue crashes into the wizard, I'd allow a second Str check, using the sum of the two characters' Str scores to derive the modifier, with the +4 stability bonus for having four legs.

-Hyp.

kjenks

First Post
SRD:
Accidentally Ending Movement in an Illegal Space: Sometimes a character ends its movement while moving through a space where it’s not allowed to stop. When that happens, put your miniature in the last legal position you occupied, or the closest legal position, if there’s a legal position that’s closer.

That pretty much sums it up. In your diagram, Goolpsy, A can bull rush D into square X, so D would move to its last legal position -- but that position is occupied by A, so D moves to the closest legal position. If more than one position is available, roll randomly to determine which square D ends up in. (Remember: all surrounding squares are 5 ft. distant, including the diagonal squares.)

This can lead to some amusing situations. If this A-D-X attack happens in a dead-end 5-ft.-wide corridor, D can end up behind A. Other, more outrageous circumstances can arise. Don't worry; it's just a lot of fun.

Unless the attacker has the Shock Trooper feat (Complete Warrior) and uses the Domino Rush tactical ability, there's no way that D or X could become prone from a bull rush.

Dross

Explorer
I thought that the bullrushed person ended up prone in the square of the other person (D ends up in X's square prone). This may be the result of a bullrush using combat brute from CW though. AFMBATM so i can't quote the approprite rule.

Dross

Christian

Explorer
Dross said:
I thought that the bullrushed person ended up prone in the square of the other person (D ends up in X's square prone). This may be the result of a bullrush using combat brute from CW though. AFMBATM so i can't quote the approprite rule.

Dross
There's a rule about that for a failed bull-rush attempt; if the last space you were in before you entered the opponent's space to initiate the bull rush is occupied (by a friendly character, or an opponent you tumbled through, I suppose), and your bull rush attempt fails, you end up prone in that space. Symmetry would suggest that a charcter bull-rushed into an occupied space would end up prone there; but this isn't stated in the RAW, and the situation isn't really that symmetrical (the bull rushee wasn't trying to move through that space); I wouldn't bother with a house rule on this.

Pbartender

First Post
If this happened in my game, and I needed to make a ruling right NOW!... I'd probably rule that D is making an involuntary Overrun attempt on X. X can Avoid D (and possibly A also), moving to the side, and letting him (and perhaps his attacker) move through his square. Or X can try to Block D, in essense helping to prop him up from behind while A tries to knock D down (think about your typical Rubgy or Football defensive line).

I'd have to look closer at the rules to come up with anything better than that.

Silveras

First Post
Complete Warrior has the Shock Trooper feat.
This tactical feat has rules describing:
Directed Bull Rush, where you can steer the opponent 1 square left or right for each square back you push them and Domino Rush, where you rush one opponent into another.

Since the feat enables you to do this, the standard feat logic says "without the feat, you can't do it"; although there is no explicit "Normal: You cannot do this" line in the feat.

Goolpsy

First Post
The situation did have free squares around some of them...
F = free

_ X F
F D _
_ A _

And as A starts the whole attempt moving into D's space.. then D doesn't have a space to be in... (but i can do with the space close to argument)

I remember i've read somewhere that bullrushed into a wall.. would make D fall prone.. so i just asumes being bullrushed into X, could do some of the same.. while allowing X a reflex to avoid it.

But hey Thanks you guys cleared it out for me

Remove ads