• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Something I'd Love to See: d20 Modern/Past minis

GreyOne

Explorer
I'd love to see Wizards put out prepainted plastic Modern and Past figures.

They could do themed packs like the D+D Minis. Things like: Nazis and Adventurers, Soldiers, Victorian era heroes, Super Heroes, Zombies, Pulp Heroes, Tarzan, Cops and Crooks, Cthulhu stuff, Dark Matter stuff, etc. I'd buy into it, collectible or not.

Khorod

First Post
That's a good idea. I don't need or want randomized D&D stuff, but randomized all that other stuff is great. Because you never know.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
This indeed is a great idea. The minis would be suitable for any sort of modern or Victorian Era roleplaying. Future minis would be awesome as well.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Unfortunately you sort of need a game to go along with it, I think. Not that I've ever played the D&D minis game, but isn't that sort of the thrust of the line, the minis game? That they just 'happen' to be perfect for playing tabletop D&D is a secondary aspect that seems to be more situated in the secondary market.

I'd LOVE to get some modern and future minis, might even buy them randomized as long as all of the commons aren't totally useless things like Celestial Brown Bears, Abyssal Maws, and Crested Felldrakes. The major reason I never got into the randomized D&D stuff was all the people I knew who collected were drowning in the most useless, niche, unplayable minis. A thousand orcs and goblins and zombies in every box would be great, but ...

If they had commons like Thug and Police Officer ... great. But if they had commons like One Armed Cultist Of Gruumsh One-Eye, Cybernetic Dog Mouearu Assasin, and Little Jimmy The Machinegun Weilding English Schoolboy I, again, probably wouldn't buy 'em.

--fje

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I'm not big on minis myself. But this would be a great way to expand the D20 Modern line. It could be broken down into acceptable blisters, one for Urban Arcana, one for standard Modern roleplaying, one for Horror, another for Victorian roleplaying, and any others that might be acceptable.

kenobi65

First Post
I'd like to see 'em, too...but I'm really not holding my breath.

D20 Modern / Future / Past is a heckuva lot smaller than D&D (as far as sales) to start with. You start breaking it down into these subgenres (modern, Victorian, etc.), and the appeal gets even smaller.

HeapT's right; the reason that D&D Minis (and Star Wars Minis) have taken off is that they serve a dual audience; those who just play the skirmish games, as well as those who use them for RPG play.

Unfortunately, I just don't see there being strong enough appeal for the Modern genre for Wizards to get into it with minis.

Remove ads