• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Something that has to be modeled in this game and currently is not

cmbarona

First Post
I speak for the system as it is written and presented as well. Once again, 081312_How to Play.pdf, page 13, "Hit Points" paragraphs under the "Damage and Dying" header, especially the second paragraphs.

Derren

Hero
So, we want to model disabilities that we expect won't really be an issue, because the heroes overcome them anyway?

I twisted my ankle, so I have a limp - but, when it really counts, I push past that and can get the job done. If someone came up to me and tried to kill me, it'd be a bit easier than if I were whole, but otherwise it doesn't actually stop me when the chips are down...

There's a desire to put in modifiers, sure. But, if, when all is said and done, we expect (and thus design the system so that) the hero *will* overcome those modifiers, why are we putting them in at all?

Thats just another thing the game needs to be able to model. Non-heroes.

Magil

First Post
I speak for the system as it is written and presented as well. Once again, 081312_How to Play.pdf, page 13, "Hit Points" paragraphs under the "Damage and Dying" header, especially the second paragraphs.

Oh, I don't disagree that hit points are an abstraction. Which is why I definitely think that things like falling damage are just fine as taking off hit points. It's usually just as reasonable to assume you get better at landing from falls when you level up as you get better at fighting, right? I still hold that simply scaling damage up to be level-appropriate is probably the best solution to that kind of problem.

The problem is that in a settling with magical healing, it's going to be hard to sell to some people that something as simple as a broken leg or twisted ankle is going to trouble someone for longer than it takes to see the nearest cleric. What I like to do is use strong magical curses or potent diseases/unusual poisons for those kinds of situations.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads