Somewhere else...

Time for combat with the Fahvenaard Clan!

SG is the slave girl.

M are minions. They've got crude javelins and handaxes.

S are standards. They've also got crude javelins and handaxes.

V is the largest human you've ever seen. You would swear he has Verbeeg blood in him. Standing maybe 7.5 feet tall, with legs much bigger than your torso, he has a giant of a spear. And you're pretty sure he could grab a rock and chuck it at you, no questions asked.

BLOCKING TERRAIN

[sblock]The black areas of the map are impassable stone, floor to ceiling.[/sblock]

CHALLENGING TERRAIN

[sblock]The brown, diamond shapes are tables and chairs. Partial cover against Ranged attacks that have Line-of-Effect through it. They can be hopped up on with an Acrobatics check at the easy DC. Failure induces the prone condition at the originating square.

The 10 ft plateaus in the corners and elsewhere require an Athletics check at the medium DC to scale. Failure induces the prone condition at the originating square.[/sblock]

DIFFICULT TERRAIN

[sblock]The conical or mushroom-shaped things are rubble and shose squares are difficult terrain.

The pool of mineral water in the middle is thigh deep and difficult terrain.[/sblock]

HINDERING TERRAIN

[sblock]ORANGE SQUARES WITH YELLOW/RED STARS

Effect: A square of firepit casts bright light in a 4-square radius and dim in a 2-square radius outside of that. A creature that enters a firepit square or starts its turn there takes ongoing 7 fire damage (save ends).

RED OUTLINED SQUARES WITH UPWARD ARROWS

Effect: Jagged stalagmites are difficult terrain. A creature that enters, starts its turn adjacent to, or in, a jagged stalagmites square takes 10 damage.[/sblock]

LIMITED-USE-ATTACKS

[sblock]RED OUTLINED SQUARES WITH DOWNWARD ARROWS

Stalactite (Limited Use Attack)
Standard Action

Requirement: You must be within the range of your weapon.
Check: Dungeoneering check (moderate DC) to find the weak point in the stalactite
Success: The stalactite collapses in a burst 1.
Target: Creatures in a burst 1, centered on the stalactite square.
Attack: Weapon vs. AC 20
Hit: 1d10 + 7 damage.

BEIGE TRIANGLES ARE LEAN-TOS

Lean-To (Limited Use Attack)
Standard Action

Requirement: You must be adjacent to the lean-to.
Check: Athletics check (moderate DC) to collapse the lean-to.
Success: The lean-to collapses on an adjacent creature.
Target: One creature adjacent to the lean-to.
Attack: Level + 3 vs. Reflex
Hit: The target is blinded and slowed (save ends).[/sblock]

See Hindering Terrain (Fire) for light.

Your Skill Challenge is successful so you have infiltrated the Fahvenaard Clan's lair with stealth and without alerting attention from outsiders. You are in the opening at the South, 1 square below the 20 line. You have an opportunity to attempt to Stealth for a Surprise Round here. Anyone successful against a PP of 20 can take a Standard Action. The standard penalties apply for movement. After that, Initiative will be:

M
V
Terilion
Saerie
Bear
S (Bad Guys)

Go ahead and resolve your Stealth/Surprise and then I'll go.

EDIT - Fixed the map so each S has a number associated with it.

ROUND 1

Minion

[sblock]Move Action: 5 squares from T12 to O14.

Minor Action: Draw Javelin.

Standard Action: Skirmishing Strike + 14 vs AC on Bear. Rolled 13. 27 hits. 8 damage and moves its speed back to T14 behind blocking terrain. Stealth + 13 - 5. Rolled 7. 15 total.[/sblock]

Vendrik Fahvenaard

[sblock]Move Action: Leaps and Bounds (Encounter Power). Speed + 4 and ignores difficult terrain. Moves to F13 (bottom left of V).

Minor Action: Grabs Rock.

Standard Action: Hurl Boulder + 12 vs AC on Terilion. Rolled 16. 28 hits. Terilion takes 14 damage and each enemy adjacent to the primary target (Saerie and Bear) take 3 damage.[/sblock]

The Fahvenaard Clan reacts with the speed and ferocity of a pack of tigers. Battle cries resound. Spears, javelins and rocks are their weapons. Their leader does not waste the time to grieve for the dead. He throws himself into the fray and exhorts his men to violence!

You're up.

Quick question. Is the fire difficult terrain? If so, then they characters who can't shift out of the fire will have to move instead and will provoke an OA. If it is difficult terrain, then I want to keep S3 adjacent to me. If it isn't difficult terrain and he is in the fire in G10 after the first Power Strike, then I want to slide him another square away from me into F10 so he has to spend a move to get to me.

Alright, going to resolve your turn before I finish out the end of the 1st round and take my 2nd round turns.

1) Negative. The fire is not difficult terrain.

2) V passed his save on the first Power Strike Slide (9 + 2 = 11) so he is prone. That means Terilion's attack hits.

3) On the second Slide against him from PS, he fails his ST (3 + 2 = 5). He's prone and in the fire - 7 OG fire (save ends). However, that also means he is out of the Bear's grapple as he is now out of his reach.

4) S3 failed his first save so he is in the fire. Your second slide auto-moves him to F10 as I'm not going to eat prone for no reason.

5) 85 damage in on S (with vuln all 5 EotNT and 7 fire OGSE). He is Bloodied.

Ok, onto the battle!

S1

[sblock]Move Action: Move to E14.

Move as Standard Action: Clear the Ground: 10 vs Fort on Terilion and Bear. 1 and 10. Misses Terilion, but just hits Bear due to his disease. He's pushed 2 squares into the Hindering Terrain of the Jagged Stalagmite. You can make a save to fall prone where you are. Otherwise, you're in the Difficult Terrain of I14 and you take 10 damage at the start of your turn.[/sblock]

S2

[sblock]Standard Action: Hurling Charge: S3 uses Javelin + 12 vs AC on Terilion. If its attack hits, S3 charges as a free action and uses Handaxe + 12 vs AC. 15 and 10. Javelin hits for 13 damage and Handaxe misses. S3 in E12.[/sblock]

S3

[sblock]7 ongoing fire damage.

Move Action: Move to S8.

Standard Action: Hurling Charge: S3 uses Javelin + 12 vs AC on Saerie. If its attack hits, S3 charges as a free action and uses Handaxe + 12 vs AC. 15 and 2. Javelin hits for 15 damage and Handaxe misses. S3 in H10.

End of turn: Rolled a 5 vs OG 7 fire. Failed Saving Throw.[/sblock]

Round 2

Minion

[sblock]Move Action: Move to P15.

Standard Action: Skirmishing Strike + 14 vs AC on Saerie. Rolled 4. Miss but moves to J18.[/sblock]

Vendrik Fahvenaard

[sblock]7 + 5 = 12 ongoing fire damage.

Move Action: * Stands up from prone.

Standard Action: For the Clan! V uses Skewering Spear + 12 vs AC on Terilion. Rolled 18. 30 hits. Terilion takes 13 damage and S2 uses Handaxe + 12 vs AC on Terilion. Rolled 6. 18 misses.

Action Point: For the Clan! V uses Skewering Spear + 12 vs AC on Terilion. Rolled 9. 21 misses. S2 uses Handaxe + 12 vs AC on Terilion. Rolled 3. 15 misses.

Minor Action: Cunning Spear + 10 vs Will on Saerie. Rolled 17. Saerie slides 3 squares to J13 (adjacent to Jagged Stalagmites which means 10 damage at the start of your turn). If you pass your saving throw, you can be prone in J12.

End of turn: Saving Throw vs Fire is irrelevant as he is still in there![/sblock]

* EDIT - Forgot V was prone so had to retcon some of his turn. Actually turns out better for him to just stay in the fire anyway!

The fury of the leader of the Fahvenaard Clan is the stuff of legend. Bloodied, battered, high flames licking at his waist, he howls in the midst of a primal bloodlust. His clan follows him and their enemies do know pain on this day.

Saerie and her companion are reeling. Terilion, pressed from all sides, stands his ground and gives some of what he gets back to the enemy.

FYI - If V attacks Saerie, I'm using Fox's Cunning on him. Rolled 10. 24 should hit. 22 damage and shift to I10.

Gotcha. See below.

S1

[sblock]Move Action: Circle Terilion and move to G17 for Combat Advantage on charge attack of Hurling Charge.

Standard Action: Hurling Charge: S1 uses Javelin + 12 vs AC on Terilion. If its attack hits, S1 charges as a free action and uses Handaxe + 12 vs AC. Rolled 1. Miss.[/sblock]

S2

[sblock]Hurling Charge recharge check (4, 5, or 6). Rolled 1. No recharge.

Move Action: Circle Terilion and move to G15 for Combat Advantage against Terilion.

Standard Action: Handaxe + 12 (+2 CA) vs AC on Terilion. Rolled 13. 27 hits. 15 damage.[/sblock]

S3

[sblock]7 ongoing fire damage.

Hurling Charge recharge check (4, 5, or 6). Rolled 4. Recharges.

Move Action: Clear the Ground: 10 vs Fort on Saerie and Bear. 20 and 10. Hits Saerie and misses Bear. Saerie is either prone where she is or pushed 2 squares south and adjacent to Jagged Stalagmites (10 damage at the start of her turn). Let me know if you pass the saving throw or not.

Standard Action: Handaxe + 12 vs AC on Bear. Rolled 18. 30 hits. 19 damage.

End of turn: Rolled a 7 vs OG 7 fire. Failed Saving Throw again.[/sblock]

Round 3

Minion

[sblock]Standard Action: Skirmishing Strike + 14 vs AC on Terilion. Rolled 7. Miss but moves to C13.

Move Action: Moves to C13 (cover vs ranged attacks with LoE through table).[/sblock]

I need to know the results of Saeries saving throw (is she prone adjacent to him or pushed adjacent to the hindering terrain) before I take V's turn. Let me know.

EDIT - Saving throw passes. On your Fox's Cunning, I assume you mean I11. You can't get to I10 with Fox's Cunning - shift 1 from H12. If you mean I11, then S3 doesn't shift before he attacks you with Handaxe. Otherwise, he can shift 2 to get adjacent.

Vendrik Fahvenaard

[sblock]Cunning Spear (Recharge 5, 6). Rolled 4. No recharge.

7 ongoing fire damage.

Standard Action: For the Clan! V uses Skewering Spear + 12 vs AC on Saerie. Rolled 12. 24 hits. Saerie takes 12 damage.

* Immediate Reaction Fox's Cunning by Saerie hits for 22 damage. Vendrik Fahvenaard dies.

** No Action: Incite Savagery - Vendrik Fahvenaard's allies gain vulnerable 3 to all damage and a + 5 to damage rolls until the end of the encounter.

S2 shifts one or two squares adjacent to Saerie (or stays put) and uses Handaxe + 12 vs AC on Saerie. Rolled 13. 25 hits. 20 damage.[/sblock]

The mighty leader of the raiders that have been pillaging Terilion's community becomes more beast than mine. Burning flesh. Primal growls. Blood and sweat flying. A murderous gleam in his eye more animal than human.

Ultimateily it is his ferocity that is his undoing against the cunning bladework of the elven warrior he is locked in battle with. He brings his mighty spear down upon her, a thrust that should be a killing blow. The elf has fought a hunder giants in the feywild and their movements are well-known to her. She deflects the blow with the guard of her blade and as it rolls off of her, the opportunity presents itself and her blade naturally moves from its parry to a clean slash across the belly of the giant man. His guts are laid wide open. He should pass without a second thought. Her instincts get a scale armored vambrace up at the last second to absorb a killing blow from a handaxe but she barely registers the action. She is transfixed by the hulking man's ability to defy death.

Though He falls to a knee, he keeps his spear in his hand and holds his guts together in the other. As the flames lick across his knotted beard, he smiles a disturbing smile. Through gritted teeth he shouts "I go to the spirit realm to hunt next to The Lord of All Beasts. Send me their spirits so I might hunt them for all eternity. And...feast...feast on their flesh here..."

With that, he collapses into the consuming fire. A riot of cascading howls and menacing growls usher forth from the men he led and they clang their weapons on the stone or together. Surely those toiling in the main plaza can hear it.

S1

[sblock]Hurling Charge recharge check (4, 5, or 6). Rolled 3. No recharge.

Move Action: Moves to L14.

Standard Action: Javelin + 12 on Terilion. Rolled 5. 17 misses.[/sblock]

S2

[sblock]Hurling Charge recharge check (4, 5, or 6). Rolled 2. No recharge.

Standard Action: Charge and Handaxe + 12 (+1) vs AC on Saerie. Rolled 13. 26 hits. 17 damage.[/sblock]

S3

[sblock]7 + 3 ongoing fire damage.

Standard Action: Handaxe + 12 on Bear. Rolled 4. 16 misses.

Move Action: Escape Grab attempt + 8. Rolled 3. 11 fails.

End of turn: Rolled 11 vs OG 7 fire. Passed Saving Throw.[/sblock]

Round 4

Minion

[sblock]Move Action: Move to G12

Standard Action: Skirmishing Strike + 14 vs AC on Saerie. Rolled 3. Miss but moves back to C13 behind the cover of the table.[/sblock]

3s are wild :erm::erm::erm:

As the battle rages, three men appear at the entrance to the Fahvenaard's domain. Perhaps this is a normal occurence. Perhaps this clan has regular raucous celebrations or ceremonial battles. Regardless, these men are clearly artisans and general laborers, not warriors. All three show up in dirtied aprons, perhaps a tanner, a cook, and a metalworker. None show up with weapons, prepared for battle. They try to take in what they see before them and their faces (Passive Insight) show little more than gross consternation. Whatever words they exchange cannot be made out over the sounds of ringing steel and battlecries.

Exactly what they will do, you don't know. But their iniative is end of the round, after your guys, but before the 3 Ses.

Saving Throws for Hindering Terrain:

S2 is 7. Failed. He dies at the start of his turn due to 10 + 3 damage in.

S3 is 10. Passed. He is prone and grabbed by Bear in his origin square and very Bloodied. The first damage expression is correct so 21 damage in.

Clanless Minions 1, 2, 3.

[sblock]Each move into the room and Charge Bear. + 11 (+ 1) vs AC. The CM 2 has CA with S3 so another + 2. Rolled 16, 8, 4. First two hit for 7 * 2 = 14 damage.

They end in G12, H12, I12 respectively.[/sblock]

S1

[sblock]Hurling Charge recharge check (4, 5, or 6). Rolled 5. Recharges.

Standard Action: Hurling Charge: S1 uses Javelin + 12 vs AC on Bear. If its attack hits, S1 charges as a free action and uses Handaxe + 12 vs AC. Rolled 18. Javelin hits Bear for 21 damage. 8 temp and 13 real. Handaxe + 12 vs AC on Bear. Rolled 6. Misses. Ends in I 11.[/sblock]

S3

[sblock]Move Action: Stands up.

Standard Action: Handaxe + 12 (+ 2 CA) vs Bear. Rolled 12. 26 hits. 19 damage.[/sblock]

Bear is bloodied.

Round 5

Minion

[sblock]Minor Action: Draw Javelin.

Standard Action: Skirmishing Strike + 14 vs AC on Bear. Rolled 13. Hits for 9 damage.[/sblock]

Your words seem to reach the Clanless artisans for a moment. They don't appear inclined toward aggresion. But only a moment. Their eyes draw back and they speak in unison "THEY THREATEN US! DESTROY THEM!". With awkward strides they lope toward your bear companion, swinging fists, bellows, cooking implements. Whatever is at hand.

The Fahvenaard clan still aligned against you engage a desperate assault. A stray blow draws superficial blood and illicits a roar in defiance from the proud creature. He is surrounded, fending off blow after blow, clearly slowing from the effort. But he will not relent.

@Binks. You're up.

I've got you guys at:

Bear 16 HP (1 surge left).
Saerie 20 HP (1 surge left).
Terilion 9 HP.

That what you have?

Attachments

• FAHVENAARD COMBAT 1.pdf
    800.1 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

Binks

Explorer
My Bear won't be able to Stealth here with the move penalty and there wouldn't be any use for it anyway. Terilion and I will give it a go. Its key that I get an extra Standard here with surprise, so I'm going to spend my Guidance of the Past Encounter on the Stealth.

SURPRISE

[sblock]Saerie Stealth + 11 (Guidance of the Past - Encounter). Rolled 3 and 14. 25 succeeds.

Surprise: Twin Strike on Minions in R10 and E4. Rolled 15 twice. That will do it.

Terilion Stealth + 10. Rolled 17. 27 succeeds.

Surprise: Javelin on S in B11. Rolled 15 again!. 2d8 + 6 = 17 damage.[/sblock]

Saerie quietly signals Terilion and scratches the bear next to her on the back of his neck. She conveys to him to stay next to Terilion and charge the group on the left at the tables. Another odd memory overtakes her as she recalls commanding a hunting party against a Fomorian raiding force. But she can claim no such personal memory. Perhaps it was a story her grandmother told her as a child.

She nods to Terilion who is taking measure of the weight of his javelin. They loose at the same time. Two enemies fall and a third is wounded. As expected, all hell breaks loose.

FYI. You forgot to give each S a corresponding number.

Saerie will be in E20, Terilion in F20, and Bear in G20.

EDIT - Realized I have no line of effect to Minion in T12 so I'll take out the guy in E4.

ROUND 1

Since my group is bunched up on Initiative, I'm going to delay Terilion so that my initiative order is

Saerie
Bear
Terilion

Saerie

[sblock]Free Action: Quick Swap - Stow bow and draw greatsword.

Move Action: Might Sprint - + 4 speed (11), ignore DT and + 5 Athletics. Moving around the right side of the stalagmite challenging terrain to H11 (should be 10 squares and no OAs).

Minor Action: Battle Wrath Stance.

Standard Action: MBA + 14 vs AC on V. Rolled 17. 31 hits. Power Strike (free action). 24 damage on V and slide V 1 square north (F11 and G11) and S3 1 square west (G10) and into the fire unless they pass a Saving Throw.[/sblock]

Bear

[sblock]Move Action: A few squares forward and then...

Standard Action: Charge and Ursine Crush + 11 vs Fort on V. Rolled 13. 24 (or 26 if he is prone instead of in the fire). 10 damage and V is grabbed (DC 18).

Action Point: Defenseless Prey. V gains vulnerable 5 all UEoNT and Saerie makes an MBA + 14 vs AC against him. Rolled 2. Elven Accuracy reroll. Rolled 9. I assume 23 hits (25 if he is prone instead of in the fire)? If he is prone and not in the fire, I'm going to use Power Strike again to attempt to slide him in the fire (S3 would also have another shot of being in the fire if he passed his ST). 25 damage and 7 more from PS.[/sblock]

Terilion

[sblock]Move Action: A few squares forward and then...

Standard Action: Charge and Harrying Spear + 13 vs AC on V. Rolled 7. 20 (or 22 if he is prone). If it hits, its 19 damage and If V leaves a square adjacent to Terilion before the end of his next turn, Terilion can deal 7 damage to V as an opportunity action.[/sblock]

There is a lot of conditional stuff up there so I'll let you tell me what happens rather than attempt to narrate it myself.

Quick question. Is the fire difficult terrain? If so, then they characters who can't shift out of the fire will have to move instead and will provoke an OA. If it is difficult terrain, then I want to keep S3 adjacent to me. If it isn't difficult terrain and he is in the fire in G10 after the first Power Strike, then I want to slide him another square away from me into F10 so he has to spend a move to get to me.

ROUND 2

Saving Throws for forced movement into hindering terrain:

Saerie - 18. Prone in J12.
Bear - 1. 10 damage and in the difficult terrain of the Jagged Stalagmites in I14.

Saerie

[sblock]Minor Action: Acrobat Boots - Stand up from prone.

Standard Action: Charge MBA + 15 vs AC on V. Rolled 8. 23 hits. 28 damage on V. Saerie in H12.[/sblock]

FYI - If V attacks Saerie, I'm using Fox's Cunning on him. Rolled 10. 24 should hit. 22 damage and shift to I10.

Bear

[sblock]Move Action: Move to I12 and then diagnoally one to H11.

Standard Action: Frenzied Mauling + 12 vs AC on V. Rolled 3. 15 misses.[/sblock]

Terilion

[sblock]Move Action: Shift to G14.

Standard Action: Fight to the Last (Encounter) + 12 vs AC in CB2. Rolled 14 on S1, 10 on S2, 20 on V. I assume 22 hits S2. 11 damage on S1 and S2. 20 damage on V. Terilion heals 22 HP.[/sblock]

Saerie beholds Terilion's brave stand with pride and awe. Humans are such resilient creatures. They possess within them the capacity for the greatest heights and the greatest of falls. She has fought beside him several times now. At all times he is bold. At all times he is bent on his own sacrifice in the stead of another. His example of courage and mental fortitude, despite such odds pressing in, emboldens her. She leaps back into the fray with vicious bladework that keeps the great beast of a man on the defensive. As her blade finds its way past his guard, Terilion's spinning routine with his greatspear finds a home in the flesh of all enemies before him.

Still this giant-blooded man stands before them, fire burning his breeches to nothing and searing his flesh without the slightest hint of a flinch, smelling of death and promising it with his eyes. The noise of the battle is thunder in her ears. It can only be a matter of time before those milling about in the cavern's main plaza hear their shouts and the ringing steel of their crossing of blades.

Originally posted by Manbearcat
I need to know the results of Saeries saving throw (is she prone adjacent to him or pushed adjacent to the hindering terrain) before I take V's turn. Let me know.

Saving throw is 13 so she is prone there. That makes her attack roll for Fox's Cunning a 22 instead of 24, but that should hit so I'll still use it if he attacks me.

ROUND 3

Terilion

[sblock]Standard Action: Improvised Action. Athletics + 11. Rolled 8. 19 beats the medium DC. + 10 vs Fort. Rolled 12. 22 should beat his Fort. 19 damage on S2 and he's pushed one square to G16.

Move Action: Move to K12 and leap 2 squares into the water (I'll auto make that check). Ends in M10, difficult terrain with partial cover.[/sblock]

Saerie

[sblock]Quick Swap - sheathe sword and draw bow.

Minor Action: Acrobat Boots - Stand up from prone.

Standard Action: Jagged Stalactites! Dungeoneering + 8. Rolled 9. 17 passes the medium DC. + 11 vs AC. Rolled 16 and 10. Both hit. 17 damage on S1 and 16 on S2.

Minor Action (Bear is bloodied): Iron Resurgence (Encounter power). Bear spends one surge in order to spend two more to heal surge * 2 = 34 HP gained. Bear also gains 8 temporary HP.[/sblock]

Bear

[sblock]Minor Action: Loyal Companion's Presence (Encounter power). Saerie spends a surge and gains 7 extra HP = 23 total.

Standard Action: Ursine Crush + 10 vs Fort on S3. Rolled 11. Hits. 19 damage and S3 is grabbed (DC 18).[/sblock]

The heroes feel the urgency of the situation as more enemies make their way into the cavern. With the feral warriors' leader down, their fervor seems too have heighened even more, if possible. Terilion shouts to Saerie and gives her a knowing look at the ceiling above him. She nods and seemlessly changes weapons and sets an arrow to fly. When Terilion shoulders the man in front of him, she lets fly. As he sprints for the water and takes a dive, he can hear the ceilling collapse behind him. Saerie and her bear fought as they have hundreds of battles before, each others presence steeling the courage and will of the other.

There may be hope yet.

ROUND 4

Alright, Diplomacy will have to wait until next turn. I have to get at least one of these guys dead. We shall see what they do. However, at their entrance and in the midst of the battle, through labored breathing I'll shout over my shoulder:

"ONLY THE FAHVENAARDS AND THEIR ALLIES ARE OUR ENEMY."

Saerie

[sblock]Minor Action: Mobile Blade Stance.

Standard Action: Improvised Weapon Action. I want to use fancy footwork and feinting to make S2 have to move to avoid my attacks. I want to slide him 1 square into H14. So Acrobatics + 11. Rolled 5. 16 passes the medium DC. + 14 vs AC. Rolled a 20! He's either prone there or adjacent to the Jagged Stalagmites and takes 13 damage at the beginning of his turn. Not sure what damage you willl want, but its maxed and I'll have a + 3 due to feat and magic weapon. My 2d6 from magic weapon is 7. So 13 + max from damage expression + prone or 13 damage at start of turn.

Free Action: Mobile Blade. Move 2 and jump into the water next to Terilion (I can make that jump with minimum roll).

Quick Swap - sheathe sword and draw bow.[/sblock]

Should have partial cover/concealment in water. If S2 willl be dead due to hindering terrain, then Terilion will attack Bear's grabbed S1

Terilion

Standard Action: Javelin. + 12 (possibly + 2 for CA) vs AC. Rolled 4. Blarg. 18 hits nothing.

Move Action: Submerse in water. Endurance + 11. Rolled 17. 28 exceeds the high DC.[/sblock]

Total concealment/superior cover for Terilion so - 5 to hit him.

Bear

[sblock]Standard Action: Improvised Attack. Same thing as Saerie except I want to use Bear's brute force and I want S3 in the fire. Athletics + 12. Rolled 8. 20 passes the medium DC. + 12 (+2 CA) vs AC. Rolled 12. Hits. Not sure what damage expression you want. 2d8 + 4 and 2d6 + 6 is between low and medium (13 vs 15). I'll roll both and include the damage from vuln. 21 and 18. Need Saving Throw for this guy or he's in the fire.[/sblock]

No clue what happens there as there is there may be one or more dead bad guys, so I'll wait for you.

ROUND 5

Ok. 1 bad guy down. Another almost. Yes, those are the HPs and surges for my guys. Going to stick with the plan right now and ignore these guys for the moment. Diplomacy can wait another round.

Bear

[sblock]Move Action: Shift to I10.

Minor Action: Challenging Roar (Encounter Power) + 10 vs Will against S3. Rolled a 9. I suspect 19 is good enough but let me know. If so, its into the fire for 7 + 3 damage, and hopefully dead, on a failed save. Or prone.

Standard Action: Second Wind (Encounter Power). Last surge spent for 17 HP and + 2 defenses UEoNT.[/sblock]

Saerie

[sblock]Minor Action: Duelist's Assault Stance.

Free Action: Quick swap - Stow bow and draw sword (changed my mind here - might be able to finish him with DA MBA).

Standard Action: Charge and MBA + 14 (+1) on S1. Rolled 7. 22 should hit. 28 damage. End in L13.[/sblock]

Terilion

I'm targeting S3 if Saerie hasn't killed him or the Minion in C13 if she has.

Move Action: Move to K10.

Standard Action: Javelin. + 12 vs AC (- 2 for his cover if against Minion). Rolled 14. .That would definitelly hit S3. Not sure if 24 hits the Minionas he has cover and he is clearly a higher level minion due to his attack and damage. Level 9 looks like. Probably just hits or hits by 1.

If its on S3, then the damage is 13.[/sblock]

Partial concealment/cover for Terilion so - 2 to hit him.

Saerie winces when she sees her proud friend, cornered by enemies and without her by his side. She must trust in his strength and will. When she sees him growl a knowing feral warning at the newcomers, she shouts to him. "No! Do not hurt them. They are stricken by fell sorcery!" He acknowledges her with an insight far beyond that of a normal animal's. He huffs, turns and roars at the burly human raider he has been latched onto. Seeing the fire consume him (hopefully!) relieves his desperate, ferocious posture.

Saerie swiftly stows her bow and methodically draws her sword as she narrows her eyes at her foe. She has dueled a hundred and more opponents in tournaments and a hundred or more to their death. She still stands. This will be no different.

As she explodes out of the water and engages her enemy, over her splashing she hears Terilion's grunt as he heaves a javelin.

Last edited:

Binks

Explorer
I wanted to make a new post for my round 3 actions as the situation is pretty dire and I've got some questions.

- That water in the center is thigh deep, yes? I should be able to immerse myself in it so that I've got full concealment? If I stand in there would I get partial cover?

- I want to stunt with Terilion here. I just want to push S2 to G16 for the AoE of the hanging stalactite. I figure Athletics vs medium DC and + 10 vs Fort and you'll tell me the damage? I actually want to slide him to H16 for the hindering terrain but everything goes caput if he passes his saving throw.

- Same thing as before with the stalactites? Dungeoneering vs medium DC and + 12 vs AC?

- What does my group's passive perception pick up on any activity outside of this place. You said that more bad guys would definitely be coming after 3 rounds. Can I get an idea of how many through my PP?

EDIT - Round 4 questions @Manbearcat

- Before I take my round 4 turns, I need to know about the action economy of engaging with The Clanless who are coming into the Fahvenaard lair. Diplomacy can be anything from a Standard to a Free. My Passive Insight revealed that these guys look pretty hesitant. I'd like to compel them to stand down (or perhaps even join in against a common enemy :p ). If I wanted to try Diplomacy, what kind of action would it be.

- If I wanted to buff my Diplomacy with my Bear's Intimidate - like a Secondary Skill - could I do that? If so, what kind of action?

Oh and I'll have succeeded at the Minor Quest of securing a home for the children when I'm done here. So add a Minor Quest:

Destroy The Rotting Man, create a safe redoubt in these mountains for the benign clans, and broker a peace and trade agreement between Terilion's people and them.

Last edited:

I wanted to make a new post for my round 3 actions as the situation is pretty dire and I've got some questions.

- That water in the center is thigh deep, yes? I should be able to immerse myself in it so that I've got full concealment? If I stand in there would I get partial cover?

- I want to stunt with Terilion here. I just want to push S2 to G16 for the AoE of the hanging stalactite. I figure Athletics vs medium DC and + 10 vs Fort and you'll tell me the damage? I actually want to slide him to H16 for the hindering terrain but everything goes caput if he passes his saving throw.

- Same thing as before with the stalactites? Dungeoneering vs medium DC and + 12 vs AC?

- What does my group's passive perception pick up on any activity outside of this place. You said that more bad guys would definitely be coming after 3 rounds. Can I get an idea of how many through my PP?

1) Yes, if you stand in the water, you'll have partial cover (or concealment...kind of an either/or tweener). If you want to immerse yourself in the thigh-deep water, we'll call it a move action, Endurance hard DC. Success is total (- 5 to hit you with ranged or AoE) with failure meaning you lose your default partial (- 2). Yes, you can use it for Stealth.

2) Yeah.

Athletics vs medium DC
Level + 3 (10) vs Fort.
Effect: 2d8 + 4 damage and target is pushed 1 square.

3) Stalactite:

Limited-use attack
Dungeoneering (medium DC)
Weapon vs AC against all in creatures in CB1, centered on stalactite square.
Effect: 1d10 + 7 damage.

4) Passive Perception exceeds the high DC. You can discern that there are less than a handfull of footfalls just outside the cavern and the arrival is imminent (will roll initiative for them at beginning of round 3). Whomever is coming won't be coming in a giant group encompassing the entirety of The Clanleess.

5) This is, effectivley (!), tantamount to a particularly powerful control effect in the midst of combat. Your convincing guys to basically be perma-stunned. It makes sense within the fiction here so its good to go, but its going to have to be a Standard Action at the medium DC. It will be the first check in the greater Skill Challenge conflict to parlay and broker agreement with the Yamels, the Clanless, and Terilions people. We'll make that a complexity 2.

6) You can menace with your bear as a Secondary Skill as a Minor Action. That auto-passes the low DC.

On your quest: Ok, sounds good.

Last edited:

You eviscerate S1 with your charge.

S3 fails his Saving Throw (8) and...errrhmmmm...dies in the fire...pit.

Terilion's aim is true and his javelin skewers the Minion.

The Fahvenaard Clan is no more.

For the final actions of the round...

The three Clanless turn to Saerie and, with a deranged head-tilt and rolled back eyes, say in unison "Herrrrrr...." The clamber over each other to reach you and tear you to pieces. You work feverishly to fend off their attacks with your weapon without mortally wounding them.

Two out of three of them hit the target number for a total of 14 damage (putting you at 6 it looks like...with 1 surge left!).

I figure you want to move out of the combat mechanics now. If you want to stay in the combat mechanics, that is fine. It would then be your turn. Otherwise, this is a new encounter/scene, and your Skill Challenge starts now with the complication I outlined above in the quoted text. Beyond that, you cannot hear the sounds of any others coming from the main plaza. Just those 3.

Let me know how you wish to proceed.

Binks

Explorer
You eviscerate S1 with your charge.

S3 fails his Saving Throw (8) and...errrhmmmm...dies in the fire...pit.

Terilion's aim is true and his javelin skewers the Minion.

The Fahvenaard Clan is no more.

For the final actions of the round...

Two out of three of them hit the target number for a total of 14 damage (putting you at 6 it looks like...with 1 surge left!).

I figure you want to move out of the combat mechanics now. If you want to stay in the combat mechanics, that is fine. It would then be your turn. Otherwise, this is a new encounter/scene, and your Skill Challenge starts now with the complication I outlined above in the quoted text. Beyond that, you cannot hear the sounds of any others coming from the main plaza. Just those 3.

Let me know how you wish to proceed.

Well, basically what I was going to do was Second Wind my last surge with Saerie and Charge with Frenzied Mauling with Bear and do Terilion's melee attack on a charge. Obviously, I just want the HP damage to disable them. I don't want to kill them. So, I'll just go with the below:

[sblock]Primary Skill Endurance + 9. Rolled 13. 22 exceeds the medium DC.

Group Primary Check Athletics + 9, + 12, + 11. Rolled 16, 5, 2. 2 of those exceed the medium DC.

Primary Skill Heal + 11. Rolled 18. 29 exceeds the high DC.[/sblock]

As the group of Clanless, their wills subverted by the Rotting Man, tear at her, Saerie stands strong, receiving each blow strategically on her scale armor or just disregarding it with sheer physical fortitude. She will not respond in kind. She needs these men unhurt as they may be witnesses to their hopeless situation and advocates for action in the conflict to come.

Terilion and her bear rush in and the three of them are able to physically apprehend the three men. Ropes binding their limbs, she searches her pack. Finally, from it she pulls a plant wrapped in wetted linens. "Bring them to the fire" she says as she tenderly holds the plant in her hands and carefully walks toward the large fire that consumed two of their enemies. She ignores the corpses, grabs a crucible and hangs it on the firepit. As she expertly places the weed in the crucible, she says "sit them near the fire, but not too near. And stand far back. Brokenstone Fireweed. When I introduce it to the flames, it will produce a caustic vapor that will burn the eyes and ache the skin but will cause no lasting injury. I'm hopeful that this will rouse their spirits and break them from the trance the Rotting Man has them under."

Let me know what happens.

Oh, and I spend my last surge with Bear's Loyal Companion Presence. 16 + 5 = 21 HP. 27 total HP. 0 surges. Bear is at 16 HP. 0 surges. Terilion is at 9 HP. 0 surges.

After Terilion moves each of the three bound men over near the fire where you are preparing the crucible for the plant, he picks up the greatspear wielded by the leader of the Fahvenaards. Looking down at the burning corpse of the huge man, he says "I knew this man. Vendrik. He used to be one of us. Five years ago he was exiled. He stole livestock from one of the settlers around our bay and then murdered him in cold blood after the accuser dared to name him publicly. He was a barbaric man and I was glad for his exile. It was a long time coming."

Looking at the spear he smiles. "This is a relic of our people which he stole from our temple to The World Serpent the evening of his exile. There is no magic, but it is important enough that we ventured out of our domain for a manhunt for 3 days. Only 2 men returned. I wonder if its edge is forever stained in the blood of our brothers..."

He sighs and looks back at you. "No matter. Esmer, or rather "He Who Sees Without Sight", will be glad to have it rightfully returned to our sanctum. He may be more glad to know this vile bastard has drawn his last breath. It will be no surprise that he was leading the maurading band against us."

He stands back as you commit to your work. After the job is done, within a short period the mine awake from their unconsciousness and their possession by the Rotting Man. With their faculties restored, they groan and writhe in their bindings due to the acute stinging and intense irritation of the plant's vapors. Their eyes swell and begin to water. Their skin clearly itches terribly from the intense irritation. Through their limited perception, they recoil from you and your companions.

What are you doing? FYI, any social checks for the duration of this conflict will be the Hard DCs for this Skill Challenge.
3/8 successses
0/3 failures
0/2 hard DCs
0/2 advantages spent

Binks

Explorer
What are you doing? FYI, any social checks for the duration of this conflict will be the Hard DCs for this Skill Challenge.
3/8 successses
0/3 failures
0/2 hard DCs
0/2 advantages spent
Going to use one of my 3 Secondary Skills to augment my Primary Skill and an Advantage to knock the DC down to medium. They will understand that we are liberators, not enemies, and that they would already be dead if we wished it so.

As the men regain their faculties, Saerie pulls out a blanket and wraps it around her exposed flesh, including her face. She nods to Terilion to do the same and says "keep your eyes firmly shut." As she moves in, she blindly grasps for the first man's legs, grabs them and slides him away from the fire and the caustic vapors.

Once she and Terilion are finished, she retrieves some milkweed and aloe from her collection of herbs and plants. She extracts some of the liquid from both plants, rubs it in her hands and moves in to apply it to the men. When they recoil and protest, she soothingly looks into their eyes and speaks in hushed tones. "I am not a witch. I am a healer. As you can see behind you, this clan of hardened warriors are all slain. They crossed blades with us and we yet stand. I hope you understand that this means that if we wanted you to join them, it would be so. But it is not so. We have come here expressly to slay them, to slay your master, and to liberate you from his cruel thumb.

This job is not yet finished and he can see us through your eyes. I suspect you remember little from the moment you came upon the pitched battle until now when you have awoken to the sting of the Fireweed and your bindings. Both of these are for your own protection as your master had taken control of your senses and your bodies and forced you to attack us."

She rubs the plant materials in her hands together again and begins to reach for the first man. "Please, this will reduce the sting until your body recovers. And we no longer need these bindings. Terilion, after I'm finished, please unbind them. I believe the threat to be passed."

[sblock]Secondary Skill Heal + 11 automtically passes the low DC. + 2 to Diplomacy check.

Advantage to knock DC down to medium

Diplomacy + 5 (+ 2). Rolled 4... 11 fails.[/sblock]

Wow. Wasted a SS and an advantage. Not really what I was looking for there. Let me know what happens.

3/8 successes
1/3 failures
0/2 high DCs
1/2 advantages
A sudden, subtle thrumming sound explodes in your ears as if an orchestra were playing right next to you. You know that sound well. It is the sound of an arrow cutting through the air. You snap your head back reflexively and the wooden shaft explodes on the stone not far from you. Everyone compulsively looks toward the northeastern portion of the cave from whence the arrow came. Across the way are a handful of huntsman, garbed in the autumnal hues of an alpine vale deep in the throes of fall. They all wield bows and they are trained on your position.

"I didn't have to miss." The tallest one is a bearded and wiry man. "I see a cave full of the dead men that once occupied it. That suits me fine. But I also see three innocent men, bound like cattle and all too close to a raging fire by folks I don't know. That does not suit me. Why don't you step back a bit." He motions with his bow as the other men with him pull their own to the limits.

Your bear growls. Two men move to train their bows on him and he growls deeper, his posture a telltale sign that he is about to rear and challenge them.

Your move Face.

Last edited:

Binks

Explorer
Your move Face.

Cute.

Well, I'm pretty sure this is your friendly neighborhood Ranger Yamel that I've heard so much about. I'm using my 2nd Secondary Skill and Guidance of the Past Encounter Power here.

[sblock]Secondary Skill Bear's Intimidate + 12. Automatically passes the low DC. + 2 to next check.

Guidance of the Past Encounter Power for 2 rolls for History (free) and for Insight.

Primary Skill History + 10. 19, 10. Passes.

Primary Skill Insight + 8 (+ 2). Rolled 14, 18. Both succeed at the high DC.[/sblock]

My mind drifts to the many encounters I've had with squad leaders in my reconnaissance unit back home in Brokenstone Vale. Then something else takes me. I'm not me again. I'm the woman with the silver hair. The Eladrin. I let myself be capture so I could talk to a leader? Five men walked into the room I'm being held in. They bear no signifying rank and show no deference to one another, but I can immediately spot the leader.

My mind drifts back and I'm inhabiting my own body. I slowly stand up and step back and give Terilion a sign with my hand telling him to "go easy". He steps back as well. I ease next to my bear and thump his side affectionately with my hand, "...easy...we're ok." His willingness to stand and fight always strengthens my resolve.

Looking squarely at the man who spoke to me, I say; "You must be Yamel, no? Long ago in my homeland we had a long war against a legion of Lycanthropes, a veritable empire. Much like you have had here. In the course of it, before we lost that is, we had to suffer the company and allegiance of many of our sworn enemies. From the ruthless fomorians to the wretched goblins of Nachtur to the malevolent Unseelie we suffered them." Driving the point home, I stare at him hard. "Sometimes the enemy of your enemy is the only ally to be found. Some squabbles seem petty in the face of ultimate destruction."

I look back at the bound men on the ground and then back to Yamel. "You should know that your three innocent men here had their innocence stolen by the dark presence that infects this cavern and feasts on your life force. After we killed your enemies, they, or rather He through them, tried to tear my throat out...so...here we are." I look down and back at the man that I cured. "Feel better now, yes?" Assuming he shakes his head or gives some kind of signal, I look back at Yamel and his squad of Rangers. "Why don't you let me relieve the pain from the other two and then we can all leave this cave, away from prying eyes, and talk."

Boomshkees. What were you saying about Face?

Last edited:

Remove ads