Somewhere else...

5/8 successes
1/3 failures
1/2 hard DCs
1/2 advantages used
"You have me at a disadvantage. You somehow know me but I have neither seen nor heard of your kind, nor your own personal like, in..."

Before he can finish, a tremble, onlighly slight, permeates the cavern floor, walls, and ceiling. Being only a slight tremor, he attempts to continue "...in these moun..." The tremor becomes extreme and continues to grow. Yamel and his group are standing directly under one of the many stalactite formations in the northeastern end of the Fahvenaard cave!

<Witty retort!> @Binks

Binks

Explorer
[sblock]Primary Skill Dungeoneering + 8. Rolled 10. That passes the medium DC.

Quick Swap - Free Action switch weapons as a free action 1/turn.

Master at Arms - Minor Action to stow and draw.[/sblock]

Realizing they haven't noticed the imminent, deadly collapse of the stalactite formation above them, Saerie reacts by pointing above them and shouting; "Get out of there!" Simultaneously, she drops the soothing salve she was concocting and tears her bow from her back like lightning. As Yamel and his men dive out of the hazard zone and take cover, she fires one, two, three arrows at the shards falling on them, breaking them into irrelevant pieces.

Instantly, she shoulders her bow and turns to Terilion. "Grab one!" There is no time to undo their bindings or hack through them. She takes one of the men and places them on Bear's back. She looks her friend in the eye "...keep him safe my friend." Turning to the man, "...and you...hold on..." Finally, she grabs the third man and throws him over her shoulder and begins to run after the Yamels, wherever it is they might be going. She hopes that the answer is "outside"...

6/8 successes1/3 failures1/2 hard DCs1/2 advantages used
Yamel and his huntsman lead you through a short wind which empties out onto the main thoroughfare that spans from the plaza to the upper levels of the cavern redoubt and to the outside. The weight on your shoulders from the man you carry seems immense. Your legs grow weary from the day's long work. Its a mad dash and the waning daylight is a soft circle in the distance. The cavern ceiling crumbles. The floor yaws wildly and threatens to take you from your feet. Everyone works desperately not to stumble as a single misstep would mean a life.

An unknown voice at the entrance to the cavern urgently calls out to you all. "HURRY!"

Make no mistake about it, this is a mortal affair here. Rocks fall. People die. A healing surge worth of damage will kill Terilion and put you and Bear in mortal peril. This will be your last hard DC (and possibly your last DC period!) Group Acrobatics Check (or something else if you've got something up your sleeve). Bear and Terilion's checks are both + 5. Failure would mean a healing surge worth of damage (as none of you have any surges left) and you'd need to roll it again.

Good luck. May the Schwartz be with you...

Binks

Explorer
Make no mistake about it, this is a mortal affair here. Rocks fall. People die. A healing surge worth of damage will kill Terilion and put you and Bear in mortal peril. This will be your last hard DC (and possibly your last DC period!) Group Acrobatics Check (or something else if you've got something up your sleeve). Bear and Terilion's checks are both + 5. Failure would mean a healing surge worth of damage (as none of you have any surges left) and you'd need to roll it again.

Oh what I wouldn't give for Yshelne's Root Gate or Zalil's Arcane Gate right about now. Given the level of peril here, heroic fortune is going to kick-in. This is not there time to die. I'm going to use my last Secondary Skill and Advantage to drop the DC down to medium. Here goes nothing:

[sblock]Secondary Skill Group Athletics check to handle the burden each of the hero's carry. + 12, + 11, + 9. Two of those auto-pass the easy DC so + 2 to Group Acro.

Primary Skill Group Acrobatics Check + 5 (7), + 5 (7), + 10 (12). 1, 11, 13. Two of those pass the medium DC.[/sblock]

Whew. Way too close. Obviously would have failed without the Advantage.

The heroes forget their burdens and sprint toward the light, carried forth by destiny's zephyr. The rock above them plummets to the earth, crushing the space that they just left, but they do not look back. The ground beneath their feet ebbs and flows but they do not falter. The final stretch is in sight. The call from the unknown man seems drawn out, a thing slowed by the peculiarities of time when every moment matters.

As they near their sanctuary, Saerie falls to a knee and Terilion's strong hand is on her cloak in an instant, pulling her to her feet. Their symphony ends with a cry as they dive headlong into the light, angry stone their background vocals.

Then quiet save for the soft wheeze of heaving chests. Eyes ache as they try to adjust from the darkness of the cave to the waxing dusk.

So. What next? This is where Esmer and his men should be.

7/8 successes
1/3 failures
2/2 hard DCs
2/2 advantages used
So. What next? This is where Esmer and his men should be.

Speaking of the devil...

As everyone catches their breath, the twilight sounds of an alpine forest gather around you. The cool, crisp mountain air is a welcome reprieve from the suffocating caverns. A voice and movement from the tree-line breaks the silence.

"Help them." Esmer calls out. Several warriors from the tree line swiftly approach, long spears at the ready. "Who are these men?" His voice is stern, his message terse.

Terlion, hands on his knees, responds through labored breaths, "friends...or at least they aren't enemies." A few more labored breaths. "Our enemies are vanquished. There are many clans who occupy this mountain. The clan of marauders are no more." He stands up straight. "I'm afraid things are more complicated than anticipated."

Yamel eyes all of this very suspiciously and his men have closed in around him. You can see their brows are furrowed, their hands clenched anxiously on their bows, ready to retrieve arrow if need be. Esmer's warriors are no less convinced that the situation isn't a threatening one. The standoff of piercing stares and readied weapons does not relent. The situation is a powderkeg. One spark and it will explode.

What are you doing?

Binks

Explorer
Yamel eyes all of this very suspiciously and his men have closed in around him. You can see their brows are furrowed, their hands clenched anxiously on their bows, ready to retrieve arrow if need be. Esmer's warriors are no less convinced that the situation isn't a threatening one. The standoff of piercing stares and readied weapons does not relent. The situation is a powderkeg. One spark and it will explode.

I think a slight exaggeration might help grease the wheels here.

[sblock]Primary Check Bluff + 5. Rolled 11. 16 passes the medium DC.[/sblock]

Saerie quickly puts herself between Esmer's warriors and Yamel's huntsman.

"HOLD." She looks back and forth between each of them to make sure no one gets trigger-happy. Then she stares at Esmer. "These men helped us slay your marauders, the Fahvenaard clan. Yes. Vendrick Fahvenaard was leading them against you."

She turns to Terilon. "...show him the spear." As Terilion brings the relic of their people to Esmer, Saerie continues. "You see. These men are your allies against a common foe. And they helped us get to the surface when the cave's master would have brought it down upon us."

I'm going to go ahead and presume that you're going about untying the clanless men and alleviating their pain from the irritating fireweed (or whatever you called it). Whether you're untying them or not, Terilion will set about it.

Esmer relieves Terilion of the recovered relic of his people and inspects it quickly. He then evenly commands his men. "Stand down." He looks to Yamel. The tall ranger turns to his men and silently conveys for them to lower their bows. Esmer takes in the gathering twilight. "It appears there is no need for a frontal assault, but the hour is quite late. These are your lands so I ask you for your permision to camp here under the protective boughs of your trees. If you grant our stay then I would take food with you so that we can understand each other better. I have some prisoners. I am sure they are not of your clan, but perhaps you may shed some light on their nature."

Yamel gives permission for you guys to stay in their territory for the evening and agrees to the meal and parlay. He and his rangers go about assisting in sorting out a suitable campsite and provisions for the large group.

Alright, that clinches it. We will have a transition scene with a parlay between Esmer and Yamel and you will be involved. You're successful in your goal in establishing that the two groups have mutual sought ends and amenable relations are sensible. During this downtime, you can (a) take an Extended Rest, (b) level your character up to 8 (I'll update your Bear), and (c) we need to sort out a level 4/5 alternate advancement that would have come about in the fiction.

I know you wanted a formal recognition of ceased hostilities now that the Fahvenaards are gone. That is already accomplished. Let us see how the trade and request for potential aid for the Yamels and the Clanless (in the face of possible displacement due to the Rotting Man) works out. You'll be involved in the parlay and we'll run through it.

Let me know if you have any other intentions for the current transition scene beyond rest and involvement in the parlay.

Binks

Explorer
Well, it doesn't appear that I'm going to get some immediate, extended downtime to myself. However, what little I have as camp is made I will use in finding some cold mountain water to refresh myself. After that, I will find a place to camp for the night and join Esmer and Yamel for the meal and parlay. I will humbly request that Terilion join us as his insight will be of the match of my own.
Once the parlay or debriefing is done, I'm going to spend the evening in solitude. I'm sure my bear wants to hunt on his own as well. I will:

* Learn the Tree Stride ritual and put it in my ritual book.

* I'm going to make an elven charm for Terilion and his daughter. In Brokenstone Vale we make a lot of mundane charms out of natural materials. One design is specifically for protection against lycanthropes and dark fey that hunt under the light of the moon. While they are mundane, during the making we appeal to the Maiden of the Moon to imbue them with a blessing to ward the wearer from those perils. I'll give them to him before we part ways and I'll let him know that the love, sacrifice and commitment that he and his daughter revealed to me on the bay will be ever present in my heart.

"Thank you for seeing me through these dangers. I would not have survived without you. May the primal spirits always be with you."

* Rest and recover. I will make sure my bear is back so I can care for him. The disease wer gained from the Bats should be gone after the evening is done. My Endurance modifier is 11 and my Heal modifier to care for my bear is 12. I rolled a 7 and 9 for the checks. Both of those checks pass the medium DC.

* If we siege the Rotting Man's domain come morning, I'm going to use Traveller's Camouflage on the group. My Nature check is between 20 - 29 so that is a + 5 to group Stealth Checks. The duration is 10 hours and the cast time is 10 minutes. I'm hoping we're undetected so we can avoid any hazards or minions he may enact against us on the way to his lair.

* Here is what I'm thinking for an Alternate Advancement. I just retrieved a sacred relic of the World Serpent and have now fought multiple times for the people who venerate him. A primal boon from him would be fitting. I've renamed a level 4 boon of Torog who, legend has it, is detained in the underworld by the World Serpent. I think this is fitting:

The World Serpent's Grasp Level 4 Primal Boon

Property
While you are bloodied, you gain a +1 item bonus to attack rolls.

Utility Power Daily (Free Action)
Trigger: You hit an enemy with a melee attack.
Effect: Each creature adjacent to you is immobilized and takes ongoing 5 poison damage (save ends both).

You can figure out how that comes up in play.

* Forgot to include level 8 character. I took Skill Power and moved Iron Resurgence to that Feat and took Who's Next (?) as my level 2 Utility Power instead.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======

Saeri Woodwalker, level 8
Wood Elf, Fighter (Slayer)
Slayer Weapon Specialization Option: Sweeping Sword
Moonstruck Hunter (+2 to Perception)
Theme: Ghost of the Past

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 14, DEX 19, INT 14, WIS 16, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 13, DEX 15, INT 14, WIS 13, CHA 10

AC: 24 Fort: 19 Ref: 19 Will: 18
HP: 71 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 17

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +10, Endurance +11, Heal +12, History +11, Nature +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +11, Arcana +8, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +9, Insight +9, Intimidate +6, Perception +15, Religion +8, Stealth +12, Streetwise +6, Thievery +10

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Ghost of the Past Utility: Guidance of the Past
Elf Racial Power: Elven Accuracy
Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike
Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade
Fighter Utility: Battle Wrath
Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault
Fighter Utility 2: Who's Next?
Heal Utility 2: Iron Resurgence
Athletics Utility 6: Mighty Sprint

FEATS
Level 1: Melee Training (Dexterity)
Level 2: Learned Spellcaster
Level 2: Ritual Caster
Level 4: Master at Arms
Level 6: Jack of All Trades
Level 8: Skill Power

ITEMS
Magic Greatsword +2 x1
Drakescale Armor of Eyes +2 x1
Essence of the Scout +1 x1
Bracers of Mighty Striking (heroic tier) x1
Acrobat Boots x1
Boon of the Hunter Twins (heroic tier)
The World Serpent's Grasp (heroic tier)
Longbow
Thieves' Tools
Adventurer's Kit
Healer's Kit

RITUALS
Bloom
Traveler's Camouflage
Pass Without Trace
Tree Stride
Earthen Ramparts

====== End ======

Last edited:

That all looks good. The World Serpent's Grasp makes sense. I'll address that in a little bit. Here is your level 8 Bear:

Bear Companion

[sblock]Bear Companion
Medium natural beast
Level 8 Companion (Soldier, Leader)
HP 74; Bloodied 34 12 HS @ 18 Initiative +7
AC 23, Fortitude 22, Reflex 20, Will 20
Speed 6 Low-light vision

Standard Actions

Frenzied Mauling * At-Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +13 vs. AC
Hit: 1d12 + 9 damage and one creature adjacent to you other than the primary target takes 4 damage.

Ursine Crush * At-Will
Requirement: The bear companion cannot be grabbing a creature.
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +11 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d12 + 8 damage, and the bear companion grabs the target (escape DC 19).

Defenseless Prey * At-WIll
Target: One creature grabbed by the bear companion.
Effect: The target gains vulnerable 5 to all damage until the end of your next turn and one ally adjacent to the target can make a melee basic attack against it.

Minor Actions

Loyal Companion's Presence (healing) * Encounter
Effect: Close burst 5 (one creature in the burst). The target can spend a healing surge and gains 2d6 additional HP.

Challenging Roar * Encounter
Attack: Close blast 3 (enemies in the blast); +11 vs. Will
Hit: The bear companion pushes the target up to 3 squares, and the target is marked until the end of the bear companion's next turn.
Miss: The bear companion can push the target 1 square.

Skills: Athletics +13, Endurance +9, Intimidate +13, Perception + 12, Stealth + 6[/sblock]

I'll update this post tomorrow with the beginnings of the meal/parlay with Esmer, Yamel, and Terilion.

EDIT

Terilion finds you after you have refreshed yourself. He lets you know they are ready and the two of you walk to the small campsite. Esmer and Yamel are sitting across from each other on stumps with a small spit between the two of them. They are partaking of a simple meal of tea and stew. When you approach, neither of the stand as courtesy but they both acknowledge your entrance. There is little room for pleasantries in this world. There is deadfall nearby and Terilion pulls a large log over for the two of you to sit on.

"I spoke to the prisoner you secured from the lower reaches of the mountain. Yamel has informed that while his clan hunts for wild game and forage these woods, the Fahvenaards had long pillaged and harvested the conquered, live or dead. The prisoner you claimed took some convincing, but he finally broke and revealed the same story. He said this 'Rotting Man' forced them to do the raiding...to take those people and bring them back to him...that they wouldn't have raided our home without their overlord's demands. I find that very hard to believe."

Yamel interjects; "It really doesn't matter what dead men thought or didn't think. What matters is that the creature that inhabits the mountain is our common enemy and needs to die. While your people suffered raids from the Fahvenaards, how long has it been since you've faced a a bout of the Moon Madness or even a single confrontation with the Beastlord's wolfmen? 10 years? Your reprieve was earned by the blood of my father and our people. If the Rotting Man is not slain, we will be forced to leave this mountain. You should expect renewed attacks if that comes to pass."

Esmer very subtly winces at the stern tone. Clearly he isn't used to being talked to this way. They both sit quietly for a moment and sip from their bowls as you and Terilion settle in. Esmer looks to Saerie and says "...you will be bitten by a snake this evening while you sleep. You will grow violently ill as the poison takes you. Embrace it. If you live, you will bear the World Serpent's blessing forevermore. There is no higher honor."

Don't worry about resolution at this point. Let this play out and at some point we'll find out where everyone stands on things and we'll roll a group check, inclusive of your allies, versus whomever is opposed to your position.

Last edited:

Binks

Explorer
Don't worry about resolution at this point. Let this play out and at some point we'll find out where everyone stands on things and we'll roll a group check, inclusive of your allies, versus whomever is opposed to your position.

Ok.

Terilion finds you after you have refreshed yourself. He lets you know they are ready and the two of you walk to the small campsite. Esmer and Yamel are sitting across from each other on stumps with a small spit between the two of them. They are partaking of a simple meal of tea and stew. When you approach, neither of the stand as courtesy but they both acknowledge your entrance. There is little room for pleasantries in this world. There is deadfall nearby and Terilion pulls a large log over for the two of you to sit on.

"I spoke to the prisoner you secured from the lower reaches of the mountain. Yamel has informed that while his clan hunts for wild game and forage these woods, the Fahvenaards had long pillaged and harvested the conquered, live or dead. The prisoner you claimed took some convincing, but he finally broke and revealed the same story. He said this 'Rotting Man' forced them to do the raiding...to take those people and bring them back to him...that they wouldn't have raided our home without their overlord's demands. I find that very hard to believe."

Yamel interjects; "It really doesn't matter what dead men thought or didn't think. What matters is that the creature that inhabits the mountain is our common enemy and needs to die. While your people suffered raids from the Fahvenaards, how long has it been since you've faced a a bout of the Moon Madness or even a single confrontation with the Beastlord's wolfmen? 10 years? Your reprieve was earned by the blood of my father and our people. If the Rotting Man is not slain, we will be forced to leave this mountain. You should expect renewed attacks if that comes to pass."

Esmer very subtly winces at the stern tone. Clearly he isn't used to being talked to this way. They both sit quietly for a moment and sip from their bowls as you and Terilion settle in. Esmer looks to Saerie and says "...you will be bitten by a snake this evening while you sleep. You will grow violently ill as the poison takes you. Embrace it. If you live, you will bear the World Serpent's blessing forevermore. There is no higher honor."

In order:

* I'll politely acknowledge Terilion with a nod of thanks for securing us a seat.

* I'll listen to the men flatly, and too brusquely, state their positions. Hopefully it was a bit more congenial before I arrived.

* When Esmer brings up the World Serpent's "blessing", I'll say nothing but I'll watch him closely (Insight + 9. Rolled 8. 17 exceeds medium DC) for any sign that betrays if he means literally in this world or in the spirit world. After a moment to chew on it, I'll simply say "very well".

* I'll address the men. "The natural order bids all things to leverage their strength and their wiles to claim territorial rights. Yamel is right. Neither the lycanthropes nor the Rotting Man cares for your settlement's sovereignty. They care even less to your right of rulership Esmer. You must always fight to keep what is yours. It is the just the way of things."

I'll wait a moment and let them digest that. I'll look to Terilion in hopes that he supports what I have said. Then I will continue. "However...I have a stake in this. I need those children safe, and safe is not on this perilous mountain, fraught with enemies on all sides. As before, I will be your champion. I will fight with Yamel and his huntsman to maintain your sovereignty. All I ask in return is a blessing for all of us who will do battle from 'He Who Sees Without Sight'. And I ask that you fairly consider a lasting alliance with these men. You are a man of reason. Surely you can see that abandoning these men to their fate will only earn you more enemies. Surely you can see that being allied with able huntsman who know these mountains can be nothing but a boon for your people. And most importantly to me, to the children you have taken in and to Terilion and his daughter."

* Just an fyi - when we're finished, I would like to say a final goodbye to the children. And when I give Terilion the charms, I would ask the he personally look after them.

Remove ads