• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sony Vaio notebook help... runs slow

Blue Sky

Explorer
I have a Sony Vaio notebook that's having some problems. When it starts, it runs slow (taking 30+ minutes to get to the login screen).

The first time I started it (working on it for a friend), it gave me a cmos checksum error, but that hasn't reappeared.

I'm not that proficient with laptops, having never had one, and was wondering what could be the issue.

I appreciate any help, techies.

* Have you tried booting in safe mode to the command prompt? If so, how long does that take?
* Have you been running up-to-date AV and anti-spyware stuff?
* If you rest your hand near where the hard drive is, does it seem to be spinning smoothly, or is it in fits and starts? Any clicking noises?
* How does it perform after it boots?

ssampier

First Post
How much stuff do you have running in the background?

A quick way to show is to hit CTRL + ALT + DELTE. Then hit task manager. How many processes are currently running?

Another thing you can do is remove unnecessary programs from starting. You can do this by using MSCONFIG. To do this click on Start, run, type MSCONFIG. Click OK. Click on Startup, uncheck anything you don't recognize. Click apply and close. Restart the computer.

If anything doesn't start that you need (antivirus), you can go back to msconfig and recheck the item.

Last edited:

Blue Sky

Explorer
Haven't tried the command prompt yet, I'll give that a shot.

I don't know where the hard drive is, but when I move my hand around, I don't feel any spinning or clicking.

It's still really slow after it boots.

I'm downloading avg now, to see if that'll help.

I've tried stopping programs in the background, but that doesn't seem to do anything. It took me half an hour just to get the program manager to pop up.

XCorvis

First Post
Blue Sky said:
I've tried stopping programs in the background, but that doesn't seem to do anything. It took me half an hour just to get the program manager to pop up.
Yeah... You've probably got record numbers of viruses and spyware. Do you have anything on the computer you just can't afford to loose? Back it up, and reinstall Windows. Otherwise, you'll spend DAYS trying to get the thing working if it's really that slow. Just use your Sony restore CD and it'll be fresh and clean again in about 45 minutes.

ssampier

First Post
Sounds like that would be the easiest fix, honestly.

After formatting and installing Windows, make sure to install an antivirus before using the Internet.

borc killer

First Post
ssampier said:
Sounds like that would be the easiest fix, honestly.

After formatting and installing Windows, make sure to install an antivirus before using the Internet.

And try very very hard to use generic drivers... any of the Sony packages add all kinds of spyware to your system.

XCorvis

First Post
borc killer said:
And try very very hard to use generic drivers... any of the Sony packages add all kinds of spyware to your system.
I hadn't heard that, but you might want to check out PC Decrapifier. http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/home
It removes all the nasty trial software and junk that the vendor crams in there. Run that after you install a fresh system.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads