D&D (2024) Sorcerers getting Chaos Bolt automatically

Just as the Warlock innately gets Eldritch Blast as part of the class automatically, Sorcerer is getting Chaos Bolt. I leaves me wonder if Wild Surges will be something all Sorcerers have to deal with.

They said its to give Sorcerers more of identity, the Chaos bolt emphasising innate magic (how I'm not sure) with subclasses altering the Chaos bolt some how.

It feels almost like they are trying to bring the Sorceror in line the movie Sorcerer with Simon the Sorcerer, whose obviously a Wild Magic sorcerer, but also apprenticed to a Cleric which could hint at Divine Soul as well (both for his hertiage).

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
I've never played a 5e Sorcerer, and therefore, never used Chaos Bolt. So, I'm wondering about the connection between "all Sorcerers get Chaos Bolt" and "all Sorcerers get Wild Surges (from the Wild Magic subclass)." To me, the second statement doesn't seem to follow from the first. Am I missing a key mechanical component here?

sorcerer is the least seen caster in my games (although we do have 1 right now and I multied into one back a few campaigns ago) does giving them a pre selected 1st level spell make sense?

I've never played a 5e Sorcerer, and therefore, never used Chaos Bolt. So, I'm wondering about the connection between "all Sorcerers get Chaos Bolt" and "all Sorcerers get Wild Surges (from the Wild Magic subclass)." To me, the second statement doesn't seem to follow from the first. Am I missing a key mechanical component here?

Chaos bolt works on RNG similarly to Wild Magic. The expectation is that they're leaning into more randumb mechanics.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Chaosbolt at least currently deals 2d8+1d6 of a random damage type. That puts it an an area close to things like 2d6+strength+Mastery. If they don't get free cantrips like a wizard it could even be a distinctive at will ability

Remove ads