• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Sorcerers getting Chaos Bolt automatically

Weiley31

Legend
So, the 2024 Sorcerer is going to be less about "it was the booty that did this to you" and now more "It was the Numbers that did it to you."

Which means if you were a Warforged sorcerer...

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
"I am the great great great grandchild of Smoothie the Red Wyrm. Using the fire that is in my bloodline, I conjure forth my ancestral magic and deal rolls ice damage."
That's assuming the wild magic table isn't changing as well.

Put this in the feedback when the time comes -- wild magic should probably affect intensity, target and other variables, not damage type for this very reason.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
That's assuming the wild magic table isn't changing as well.

Put this in the feedback when the time comes -- wild magic should probably affect intensity, target and other variables, not damage type for this very reason.
This. I'd have chaos bolt do "chaos damage" which isn't a thing....so maybe it does a damage type related to your bloodline (or whatever it is called), and then some oddball effect sometimes.

Seems like it's going to be harder to flavor a sorcerer as having a specific magical ancestry this way.

Wild Magic unlike Dragonblooded, Divine Soul, Shadow Magic, Storm Magic, Psionic Soul, and Clockwork Soul felt less connected to ancestory type thing, and more a type of magic with a long history in D&D. So I think they are trying to play it up as Sorcerer magic is innately, but some how connected to that, unstable inheriantly, but its origin is still ancestory based, its just now the nature of sorcerers that they are unstable no matter what their ancestory.

Remove ads