• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Sorcerers getting Chaos Bolt automatically

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The tag, I think. Essentially there will be the three big spell lists - Arcane, Divine, Primal - that multiple classes can draw from, but there will also be certain spells that are restricted to a single class list - Find Steed for Paladins, Chaos Bolt for Sorcerers, Eldritch Blast for Warlocks, etc.
the part about class exclusive spells eased 99% of my dislike of the new paradigm.

Of course in my offshoot game you have a small class list, each category of magic has 1-2 spells per spell level, and the rest of casting is ritual magic or skill based improvised magic and custom spells the PC develops and learns in play.

But it’s still more complex than I expect from mainstream official D&D .

Incenjucar

Legend
God I hope not. Wild Magic is just about my least favorite thing in 5e.

Okay, how does that make anything harder, though. It just means that sorcerous magic manifest as magic first, and your ancestry starts changing you as you develop your magic.
It implies lore about the nature of magic being more unified than many would prefer. "My power is fire" is very different than "My power is magic, but I prefer fire".

Weiley31

Legend
If the Wild Sorcerer does indeed become the new chassis for the 2024 Sorcerer, I'm hoping that WoTC fine tunes the Wild Surges to make them less annoying to trigger. Never played one but that seems to be one of their major complaints with Tides of Chaos and all that.

And here's hoping the other subclasses start getting bonus spells.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
When i'm making a sorcerer who gained their ice themed powers from an ancient silver dragon, the last thing I have in mind is rolling fire damage and turning into potted plants.
Yeah, this should definitely work the way DCC spell tables work. When Elsa your ice sorcerer rolls a wild surge, the possible effects should be things like making a light snowfall or freezing everyone in the vicinity solid, not fireballing them.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Oh, Chromatic Orb would've been another good choice for their main class spell.

jots down House Rule.
I would tie a sorcerers base known spell to a subclass.

My personal list of Sorcerer PHB subclasses are

1. Arcane Ancestry (Charm Person)
  2. Cosmic Sign (Blazing Starfall)
  3. Divine Soul (Bless)
  4. Draconic Bloodline (Chromatic Orb)
  5. Wild Magic (Chaos Bolt)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads