Sorceror PrC's

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
gariig said:
Where is blessed of mesos from? I'm too lazy to rummage through my Scarred Lands books.

Gariig

Go google, found it. That's one book I don't have.
Glad I didn't have to smack you. ;) Kidding. Yes Gariig it's in PG: Wizards, Bards, and Sorcerers.

sithramir

First Post
Been reading through my new underdark and book of exalted deeds books and was thinking about the exalted arcanist.

Unfortunately, i'd need to take 2 feats to gain it and don't really want to do that as i'm already losing 2 levels to my eladree template.

Maybe i'll just stick with straight sorcerer until I can afford to do more.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
There are a number of good items and prestige classes in Mongoose's Quintessential Sorcerer (one of the less common Mongoose books that was well done), and White Wolf's Player's Guide to Wizards, Bards, and Sorcerers.

Most publishers though -including WotC and probably inspired by them- ignore the Sorcerer. Most of them just make stuff for Wizards and let people interested in Sorcerers 'pick up the leftovers'.

The two above books are must buys for anyone seriously interested in the Sorcerer class.

Nightfall

arcady said:
There are a number of good items and prestige classes in Mongoose's Quintessential Sorcerer (one of the less common Mongoose books that was well done), and White Wolf's Player's Guide to Wizards, Bards, and Sorcerers.

The two above books are must buys for anyone seriously interested in the Sorcerer class.
Well glad arc like a little of the book. ;)

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
Nightfall said:
Well glad arc like a little of the book. ;)
Other than one foolishly included familiar, I've never said anything bad about the White Wolf book. But you do seem to read too much into what I post.

Nightfall

arcady said:
Other than one foolishly included familiar, I've never said anything bad about the White Wolf book. But you do seem to read too much into what I post.
Arc,

I was actually NOT being sarcastic in that instance. Nor was I reading too much into that post.

Deadguy

First Post
arcady said:
Most publishers though -including WotC and probably inspired by them- ignore the Sorcerer. Most of them just make stuff for Wizards and let people interested in Sorcerers 'pick up the leftovers'
I think that that reflects that it's extremely hard to design a Prestige Class for a Class that:
  1. can't afford to lose any levels of spellcasting, since they're already a level behind from level 3 forwards; and
  2. doesn't have anything else to give up other than spellcasting levels, being as they gain no other ability other than a familiar!
The upshot is that, almost by definition, Sorcerer PrCs are going to be more powerful than the original class. About the only balancing factor you've got left is to force him to take a couple of 'poor' Feats, or restrict his choice of spells. Either way, you end up with a pretty undesirable character.

Apologies to gfunk for interrupting his thread. By the way, have you considered simply being a Bard rather than a Sorcerer? They have a wider rnage of abilities and might show off the character's big Charisma boost more than a Sorcerer ever could.

Jack Haggerty

First Post
gfunk said:
One of the pre-reqs is the ability to prepare spells ahead of time.

Yeah, so I double checked it, and you're right... Mage of the ARcane Order does require the ability to prepare and cast 2nd level arcane spells.

However, the Guild Wizard of Waterdeep (from Magic of Fearun) also provides a Spell Pool, and has different prerequisites...

Alignment: Any nonevil.
Skills: Alchemy 4 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks, Scry 4 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks.
Feats: Scribe Scroll, any one metamagic feat, and either Spell Penetraion or Spell Focus (choice of school).
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 3rd-level arcane spells.
Special: Prospective members must pay an initiation fee of 1000 gp.

Of course for a sorcerer to qualify, he'd either need a lenient DM, or would have to plan well ahead of time. The abilities you'd gain would be well worth it, though.

Remove ads