Sorceror PrC's

sithramir said:
Any good PrC's for for sorceror's?

I'm making an 11th level eladree sorceror. Was hoping to get into something aside from just sorceror. Please throw ideas my way.

Maybe consider not taking a PrC?

The sorcerer's flavor is what you make it. Besides, there are tons of cool feats you can find (pass them by your DM first), including those bloodline feats from Dragon Magazine.

Someone want to fill us in on the issue number?

The other one is to ask your DM to be more lenient with skill pre-requisites - this shouldn't be a huge problem if the spellcaster PrC gives up caster levels. (And yes, I noted you already suffer from LA.)

deadguy said:
The upshot is that, almost by definition, Sorcerer PrCs are going to be more powerful than the original class. About the only balancing factor you've got left is to force him to take a couple of 'poor' Feats, or restrict his choice of spells. Either way, you end up with a pretty undesirable character.

You should write PrCs for WotC. It's amazing how much they beefed up some wizard PrCs.

Deadguy

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
Maybe consider not taking a PrC?

The sorcerer's flavor is what you make it. Besides, there are tons of cool feats you can find (pass them by your DM first), including those bloodline feats from Dragon Magazine.

Someone want to fill us in on the issue number?.
They appeared in issue #311, and present some nice ideas (though whether some of the fringe benefit feats are worth it is open to debate).

But yes, I think you are right here. Is there any particular reason sithramir, that you are going into this campaign saying 'I want to play an eladree and I want to be a Sorcerer, and I want Sorcerer PrCs'? Perhaps stepping back and thinking about the character first, and then discussing it with the DM, are in order?

You should write PrCs for WotC. It's amazing how much they beefed up some wizard PrCs.
Heehee! I always find it takes me at least two goes to write a prestige class, often more. I always end up making it too powerful the first time round. The second I sometimes go too far the other way, and make it too weak, oso that's where the third iteration comes in.

I can really see the problems writing PrCs for the arcane spellcasters, notably the Wizard and Sorcerer. The nature of the spell system and the PrC mechanic don't leave much room for adapting the class to a different mold. If they could work out some way to break a single caster level advancement into separate components easily, it would be easier, since you could create effectively a fractional caster advancement to offset PrC powers.

Another problem I see fairly often is that the PrCs are stretched out over too many levels. There seems to be a feeling amongst designers that if they can't make it a 10-level PrC then it isn't a real class. The upshot is that the defining powers of the class get placed at low levels, in order the give the prestige class focus, and they have to come up with even greater powers to fill out the top levels. I think we should get into the mindset that a PrC should be as many levels as it needs to be to get across its purpose. If that turns out to take 3 levels, or 6, or 12 then so be it. There's nothing sacred about 5 or 10 levels! I've sketched out ideas for 3, 4 and 6 level PrCs in my campaign, and had to worry rather less about the interation between them and base classes, since they don't become as dominant in a character's advancement path as the classic 10 level PrC.

Remove ads