• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sorcerous Origin - Lichtouched

Jimbro

Explorer
A very nice job and something that really builds on the thematic concepts in DnD. If I had one nitpick it would be the lack of feature at the 3rd / 4th levels. Do they get attribute bonuses or the ability to choose a feat? Are their archetypes they can play that provide some bonus at the 3rd level?

However, even without those - a very nice job.

Sent from my iPad using EN World

So sorcerous origins don't get a feature at 3rd level like other subclasses (or archetypes), because they get them at 1st instead (like clerics). If I threw in an extra feature at 3rd and/or 4th that would make this pretty unbalanced. Keep in mind this will be applied to the sorcerer class, which gets metamagic at 3rd level and an ability score improvement at 4th (in addition to spell progression and more sorcery points).

Satyrn

First Post
Indeed, this hits the nail on the head. It's interesting, looks useful and the features match the theme.

Very nicely done.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Indeed, this hits the nail on the head. It's interesting, looks useful and the features match the theme.

Very nicely done.

I think the features match a general "Undead" theme, but none of the abilities match up with actual lich abilities (paralyzing touch, frightening gaze, disrupt life, etc) other than the necrotic resistance and poison immunity.

The bloodline itself seems fine, balance-wise, it just doesn't seem like a "lich" based origin. I just think something that references undead in general rather than Liches in particular would fit better.

You know: Death Touched, Undead Adjacent, Necrogenic, Living Dead Girl, etc. :)

Satyrn

First Post
I think the features match a general "Undead" theme, but none of the abilities match up with actual lich abilities (paralyzing touch, frightening gaze, disrupt life, etc) other than the necrotic resistance and poison immunity.

The bloodline itself seems fine, balance-wise, it just doesn't seem like a "lich" based origin. I just think something that references undead in general rather than Liches in particular would fit better.

You know: Death Touched, Undead Adjacent, Necrogenic, Living Dead Girl, etc. :)

Yeah, that was the one thing I might quibble with, but I didn't want to smear my praise with even a bit of negative energy. awesome.png

Satyrn

First Post
Just then a policeman stepped up to me and asked us said
Please, hey, would we care to all get in line
He asked us to stay for tea and have some fun
He said that his friends would all drop by.

pdegan2814

First Post
I really like this, though I will agree that it could probably use a more generically undead/necrotic name(maybe "Tainted Soul" as a contrast to "Favored Soul"?). But that's a very minor quibble. The mechanics of it are nicely done.

Horrifying Touch: Chill Touch is a very appropriate choice, the ChaMod damage boost is a good fit
Flesh Of The Dead: Some nice flavor and two abilities that fit the origin nicely. Maybe have the MaxHP reduction lessened at higher levels(14 or 18) on a failed save, to show increased resilience against such effects?
Consume Soul: I love the idea behind this, but I think I'd like to see it scaled somehow so that the number of SP regained is dependent on the CR/level of the creature. The idea that a Goblin and a Stone Giant both restore the same number of SP seems off to me. Maybe require some sort of ability check with the DC & number of SP based on the strength of the creature, and then have a total number of SP that can be regained per Long Rest? Maybe I'm overthinking it, I dunno. Like I said I do love the basic concept for this ability. But if the implication of destroying the soul is that the creature can't be resurrected by normal means(i.e. something other than a Wish spell) then I think it probably shouldn't be automatic, especially since you don't have to actually be the one to kill the target(and considering you're getting this at Level 6, not later on).
Blood Of The Dead: I almost think this should be the Level 6 ability and Consume Soul should be Level 14(possibly scaled up from the way you have it to be more suited to a higher-level ability). Also, it's possible that the wording of this is vague concerning targets immune to necrotic damage(you "deal" the damage, but they don't actually suffer, does the no-heal effect still happen?).
Undead Being: VERY fun :) I might want to change the types of energy damage you get resistance to, I'd have to think about it. But I love the idea of becoming ghostly, and that it's an ability which costs SP rather than "X number of times per Long/Short Rest"

Very cool concept, good choices for the various abilities. I have no idea if my suggestions for possible tweaks would make it more or less balanced, those were just what popped in my head as I was reading them. I'd love to see what other sort of stuff you come up with :)

Remove ads