• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sort of legal question

Aesmael

Explorer
So my sister says she wants be a pirate, see? She says there's nothing stopping her because there are no laws in the open ocean. I pointed out that I suspect the laws of wherever a ship is registered out of apply when you are aboard (and taking their stuff, perhaps). Anyone care to comment?

Doctor Bomb

First Post
Sort of.

At sea, in the open ocean, Admiralty Law applies. Basically, the ship's captain is the law of the land, and anything he/she approves of is sort of legal. Of course, once the ship returns to port, it falls under the local jurisdiction, and complaints may be taken to the constable/port authority/high priest/city watch, and they may or may not take action. While many countries outlaw piracy, it continues to this day in the waters around the Phillipines, Malaysia, and Indonesia. And of course, there is always the "legal piracy" known as privateering, where pirates fly the flag of a patron nation to sack/steal/sink the vessels of rival nations.

Turanil

First Post
There is indeed no law against wearing golden earings, a red scarf on the head, and a nice eye patch. Maybe she would look cute like this. Anyway, she can also buy a scimitar, preferably made of plastic to not risk wounding herself accidentally.

Last edited:

The_Universe

First Post
...Yes, I may have written an honors thesis on this topic....

Doctor Bomb said:
Sort of.

At sea, in the open ocean, Admiralty Law applies. Basically, the ship's captain is the law of the land, and anything he/she approves of is sort of legal. Of course, once the ship returns to port, it falls under the local jurisdiction, and complaints may be taken to the constable/port authority/high priest/city watch, and they may or may not take action. While many countries outlaw piracy, it continues to this day in the waters around the Phillipines, Malaysia, and Indonesia. And of course, there is always the "legal piracy" known as privateering, where pirates fly the flag of a patron nation to sack/steal/sink the vessels of rival nations.
Privateering is no longer legal, and is one of the few international crimes which allow international jurisdiction in bringing the perpetrators to justice. In essence, pirates and privateers are safe nowhwere. Anywhere they're caught, they either 1) must be tried in a public court, or 2) extradited to a country that will try them.

Even on open waters (or the "high seas," in nautical parlance) piracy is illegal because it is governed by international law and treaty. Thus, the laws of a particular nation don't matter - since there is a structure of law that supercedes them, in this case at least.

Obviously, there isn't a world government (no, the UN doesn't count) that can enforce these laws. Essentially, it's only the force of international pressure that ensure these laws are followed, and enforced. In places where the rule of law is perhaps a little weaker than others, however, this kind of international crime (now largely being considered Terrorism, as opposed to organized crime) can continue. The western mediterranean, the persian gulf, and parts of the pacific ocean are generally where such activities take place.

In short, tell your sister that she may need to reconsider her career options. If, for example, she were to prey upon a cargo ship in international waters, and be happened upon by part of - say - the British navy, they would probably board her vessel or fire upon it. If she survived, she would have no legal recourse, and would probably be imprisoned for the remainder of her natural life. Even in these modern days, people haven't forgotten the kinds of trouble Piracy (and the break down of international law it represents) can cause.

Last edited:

Angcuru

First Post
Michael Morris said:
Does the UN ever count?? :rimshot:

(That's a joke, not an invitation to a political debate).
Nope. They can't stop bickering long enough to decide when to order lunch, let alone do something important. ;)

Anyway, the one big huge thingy stopping your sister is international law. I think the standard practice hasn't changed in three hundred years. If you catch 'em, you kill 'em. :]

Turanil

First Post
The_Universe said:
In short, tell your sister that she may need to reconsider her career options.

Especially when you consider about the little inconveniences of the pirate life. Ie.: this is most probable that the other pirates (that is: the male ones), won't bother about personnal hygiene when they rape her*. Mmmmh... did I sound harsh? :eek: Oh well, it's the pirate life dude!

(*: I remember that part from a reporting about female victims of Indonesian pirates.)

Well d***. I was going to make some pirate jokes, but that last post just . . . this thread isn't funny anymore. And with pirates, that's hard.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Apparently it's popular in some circles to take boats out way into the ocean and smoke pot since it's legal once you get a certain number of miles outside the shore.

ArcOfCorinth

First Post
die_kluge said:
Apparently it's popular in some circles to take boats out way into the ocean and smoke pot since it's legal once you get a certain number of miles outside the shore.

Aye, but you must be careful or risk facing charges of smuggling drugs across the border. ;)

Remove ads