• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Soulknife's Useless Power Point Reserve ?!?

wildstarsreach

First Post
Infinite_Kydeem said:
A single class Xeph Soulknife gets 1 powerpoint from being a Xeph and 2 powerpoints from gaining the Wild Talent feat as a class ability for a total of 3.

However, if I'm reading the rules correctly, he has no way to make use this reserve. He doesn't manifest powers so he has no manifester level and can't take the expanded knowledge feat. He can take psionic feats but I dno't think any of those use power points just psionic focus. I don't even remember any psionic items he can use that require the user to supply powerpoints to use. Have I got all this right? :confused:

It's not a huge deal, just curious. If the above is all true, I would almost certainly take at least one level of a manifesting class or prestige class.

Not directly, but this is necessary if he his going to use psionic feats. Just having the reserve means that this character always has access to use the feats that he takes. Taking psionic weapon and greater psionic weapon require having a psionic focus and to have a focus means that you have to have a reserve to become focused.

Last edited:

irdeggman

First Post
Dracomeander said:
While the class abilities of the Soulknife do not require the expenditure of power points, the ability to gain and hold a psionic focus to use various psionic feats requires a current power point reserve greater than zero.

Like the Speed of Thought class ability for instance.

irdeggman

First Post
Dracomeander said:
No, the mindblade is a specific feature of the Soulknife class that merely requires the wielder to have the psionic subtype. The mindblade does not require any power points in reserve to create.

This is one that has caused a bit of discussion in the past because is not "specific" on it.

The text does state:

Wild Talent: A soulknife gains Wild Talent as a bonus feat. (This class feature provides the character with the psionic power he needs to materialize his mind blade, if he has no power points otherwise.)

Which to me indicates that it is the pp that is what relates to the "pwer" necessary to manifest a mindblade. So if the character has used (or lost) his pp pool then he no longer has this "power".

But, like I said, it is not "specific" on this issue. As far as I can tell WotC has not adressed this issue so far (I know I haven't gotten a reply on it yet and I haven't seen it in the FAQ (Sage Advice).

Enforcer

Explorer
Speaking of Races of Eberron, the Kalashtar Soulknife substitution levels to provide a direct way to actually spend power points, which I thought was a very good design decision given the Kalashtar racial power point bonus. If I recall correctly, you can align your mind blade as good and break mind-affecting effects by spending power points.

irdeggman

First Post
Enforcer said:
Speaking of Races of Eberron, the Kalashtar Soulknife substitution levels to provide a direct way to actually spend power points, which I thought was a very good design decision given the Kalashtar racial power point bonus. If I recall correctly, you can align your mind blade as good and break mind-affecting effects by spending power points.

That is one of my favorite racial substitution structures.

Also there is a tactical feat in the same book that uses pp to grant different maneuver benefits.

The feat is Kalashtar Thoughtshifter.

wildstarsreach

First Post
Drowbane said:
Huh, wha... when did Oroville get gamers?!

I moved to this area in 1998 from San Diego. Believe me when I say that it is a desert for gamers when compared to San Diego. I'm a transplant who has been gaming for almost 30 years. Unfortunately Wargaming is even more sparse than RPG's.

Haru Kami

First Post
A single class Xeph Soulknife gets 1 powerpoint from being a Xeph and 2 powerpoints from gaining the Wild Talent feat as a class ability for a total of 3.

However, if I'm reading the rules correctly, he has no way to make use this reserve. He doesn't manifest powers so he has no manifester level and can't take the expanded knowledge feat. He can take psionic feats but I dno't think any of those use power points just psionic focus. I don't even remember any psionic items he can use that require the user to supply powerpoints to use. Have I got all this right? :confused:

It's not a huge deal, just curious. If the above is all true, I would almost certainly take at least one level of a manifesting class or prestige class.

Some psi-like abilities can be augmented, though I would keep at least 1 power point so you can use your other psionic abilities that require you to have that minimum.

Remove ads