• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sounds of Pulp

Qualidar

First Post
Soon I will be taking a break from my ongoing campaign to run my players through some MnM Pulp Action. Does anyone have a good ideas for the soundtrack?

Already on the list:
The Shadow
The Phantom
The Rocketeer
Indiana Jones

Thanks, all!

~Qualidar~

GMSkarka

Explorer
I go with a mix of soundtrack music (from those that you mentioned, plus Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow) and period music.

There's a bunch of great music in RealAudio format here: http://www.dismuke.org/

(Luckily, I'm on a Mac, and the program Wiretap allows me to convert RA files to AIFF, ready to burn on CDs)

Depends on what MnM Pulp Action means. Superheroes? Or a more Raiders type of game? I dunno. I use a lot of pulp movie soundtracks in my games, but I certainly wouldn't use all of them in all of my games because they wouldn't sound right. Let's hear a bit more detail about this game you're gonna be running.

JPL

Adventurer
There's a fine CD called "Cliffhangers" that features new recordings of classic Republic serial scores. Went over great as a pulp game soundtrack a couple of years back.

"Sky Captain" is darn good.

If you ever need something a bit more gangster/noir, try the Royal Crown Revue [although you might prefer something without vocals].

Retro-Rocket

First Post
Qualidar said:
Soon I will be taking a break from my ongoing campaign to run my players through some MnM Pulp Action. Does anyone have a good ideas for the soundtrack?

~Qualidar~

Very Interesting! I am starting a PBP Pulp M&M game so I would like to know how you are setting up your game. What PL are you starting at? etc... I am trying for a Doc Savage/The Shadow type game

Captain Howdy

Explorer
I'm not sure of the exact type of game you are planning, but try the soundtrack to The Incredibles.
It has already been said, but Sky Captain has a great soundtrack for that style.

Qualidar

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
Depends on what MnM Pulp Action means. Superheroes? Or a more Raiders type of game? I dunno. I use a lot of pulp movie soundtracks in my games, but I certainly wouldn't use all of them in all of my games because they wouldn't sound right. Let's hear a bit more detail about this game you're gonna be running.

I'm looking for a low level supers game a la The Shadow/Sky Captain. Amazing inventions, light sorcery/mysticism, larger than life heros.

Retro-Rocket said:
Very Interesting! I am starting a PBP Pulp M&M game so I would like to know how you are setting up your game. What PL are you starting at? etc... I am trying for a Doc Savage/The Shadow type game.

Originally I was going to go with PL8, but after reading Nocturnals I'm leaning toward PL5. I've got plot sketches for 21 adventures, so what I'd like to happen eventually is for the characters to grow into higher level heros in time for a Golden Age WWII campaign, but that's for much later.

Thanks everyone for some fine suggestions so far.

~Qualidar~

JPL

Adventurer
Captain Howdy said:
I'm not sure of the exact type of game you are planning, but try the soundtrack to The Incredibles.

Great music, but it's really more of a sixties "spy jazz" thing.

Don't neglect the regional music, if you're headed for Nepal or the Congo or wherever. The Rough Guide CDs are good.

Some old Count Basie goes down pretty smooth, I've found.

[I love the idea of starting pulp and working your way up to Golden Age. Check out JSA: The Unholy Three sometime, if you haven't already, for some pulped-up versions of classic DC heroes.]

Last edited:

ledded

Herder of monkies
Qualidar said:
...so what I'd like to happen eventually is for the characters to grow into higher level heros in time for a Golden Age WWII campaign, but that's for much later.
I made a CD of a lot of period music for our Supers-WWII game that adds quite a bit to the general ambiance for the game. Glenn Miller band, Andrews sisters, etc. Even have a few German favorites of the time, the group has tended to cringe when they hear the Panzergrendadier version of Lili Marlene (whether it's because they know that a big column of Nazi armor/infantry is nearby, or they just don't like it, I'm not sure).

Also, I have several really good sound bites that I loop through during combat. The background battle sound effects from the Omaha beach invasion from Saving Private Ryan is really good, lots of big booms and a veritable cacophony of small arms/MG fire from period weapons.

Remove ads