soundtracks

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
ivocaliban said:
Perhaps you're already aware of it, but there was a pretty decent article in Dragon #355 that featured four themed mixes using selections from various soundtracks. There was a mix for "Heroes", "The Dungeon", "Villains", and one designed to take you through the entire Savage Tide adventure path. There are dozens of song suggestions included and ideas on how to make your own mixes. It's worth checking out.

[/I].

Yes, I am. And I love all the ideas that have been presented there, and on the answers to this post.

I am really looking for unusual musics now. I will post some more suggestions tomorrow. bit tired now.

If anyone wants medieval -like music, "QNTAL", especially the more recent albums are a very good choice.

If you want actual medieval music, "Estampie" is a very good group too.

Arrgh! Mark!

First Post
Currently playing a game with a lot of interaction with the fey set 1220.

1. Kingdom of Heaven soundtrack.
2. Pan's Labyrinth Soundtrack
3. (Occasionally) Master and Commander soundtrack
4. Some Godspeed you Black Emperor

John Morrow

First Post
Stereofm said:
So what are your suggestions ?

If you like video game soundtracks, the one that they did for the original Halo is pretty good for gaming in just about any genre. In addition to Conan the Barbarian, the Conan the Destroyer soundtrack isn't nearly as bad as the movie and I recommend it, as well. Hans Zimmer's King Arthur soundtrack works really well and I highly recommend it. Those are all soundtracks that you can just put in and play for the most part. There are plenty of other soundtracks that have great tracks (e.g., "Duel of the Fates" from The Phantom Menace, the first track of the Kull soundtrack) if you are using iTunes or some other way to select individual tracks.

cmrscorpio

Explorer
Here's a link to the Diablo II soundtrack. Despite the site saying that it is Kingdom Hearts Insider, it has a whole lot of video game soundtracks.

Video game soundtracks I recommend:

Diablo I and II,
Warcraft III, World of Warcraft
Planescape:Torment

Frost

First Post
I got the God of War soundtrack for free back when I got the game (some kind of promotion). If you can get your hands on a copy, it would serve you well.

The soundtrack to Henry V is pretty good as well.

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
Frost said:
I got the God of War soundtrack for free back when I got the game (some kind of promotion). If you can get your hands on a copy, it would serve you well.

The soundtrack to Henry V is pretty good as well.

Wow, thank you guys.

A lot of new ideas for me to test.
Here are a few more suggestions on my part (on top of the previous ones) :

Blackmore's Night is a good group for renaissance-like music. Very catchy, and good to listen to, even outside gaming. Could do as background music for say, a fair. If I remeber correctly, R Blackmore was part of Deep Purple.

For Oriental/middle eastern themes : There is an album called "Constantinople" by ATMA records.

If you want medieval-like music, you can try the following groups :
Estampie (already cited, but hey ...)

Gothart (picked this in the czech republic, very catchy medieval folk music), as opposed to the usually stuffy religious or court music you get in medieval music records. Album : stella Splendens.

If you want an actual French medieval artist, that is not too dull sounding, try finding to some of "Guillaume Dufay" music.

You can also try to dig the past of Italy, with all the backstabbing of the Borgias and Medicis by listening to ant title with "Estampie" "istanpitta" or variants of this. These people had some enticing dance musics to cheer them up.

For antiquity, there is of course the "Rome" series soundtrack, but you can also try an experimental group called "Synaulia" trying to reconstitute what Roman music was like in antiquity.

I think I have a few more, but hey, it's your turn now.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Well, if you play computer games, it usually helps to mine them for soundtracks. Nowadays those are usually in the form of MP3 files or something similar. Maybe you'll have to look into some packed archives, but there's usually good tools to browse those.

Other than that, there's always movie soundtracks - fantasy movies like Lord of the Rings work best, of course, but often, other movies also have good stuff, too.

Finally, there's always bands that perform instrumental music without singers - not necessarily just those who are sold specifically as game music.

In the first category I regularly use the stuff from Heroes of Might and Magic V and its two expansions (the sounds are .ogg files rather than mp3s, but winamp or other music players can handle those, too) - which is a really great game, too - and NWN/NWN2 (in the case of NWN2, I make most use of those sounds as the game is a bitter disappointment compared to NWN1)

In the second category, the LotR soundtrack is always good.

In the last category, I occasionally use Apocalyptica stuff. The newest Nightwish also comes as a special edition with a second disc containing instrumental versions of the songs (though the stuff I heard of that sounds more like songs with the singer edited out rather than music meant to be instrumental only).

I generally prefer music without any vocals as Roleplaying Soundtrack, because singing tends to distract from the actual action unless you turn it down enough to be a mere background splashing)

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
For mood music, particularly if I'm doing anything the slightest bit creepy, I like to pull out my collection of Nox Arcana and Midnight Syndicate CDs. Also AKLO (from aklo.net) does music inspired by the Cthulhu Mythos, which makes for a great creepy atmosphere.

Some of the Nox Arcana and Midnight Syndicate CDs tell stories all of their own, which inspired games all of their own. Carnival of Lost Souls (Nox Arcana) and Gates of Delirum (Midnight Syndicate) are particularly cool for that.

Also, for battle scenes, I like movie soundtracks, particularly Lord of the Rings, Batman Begins, Serenity, and Gladiator. Aliens is good too.

Remove ads