• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Speaking in "faux old English" [Poll]

Do you use faux Old English dialogue?

• Frequently

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 92 33.7%
  • Never

Votes: 154 56.4%
  • Other

Votes: 19 7.0%

Ringan

Explorer
Do you do dialogue for your PCs/NPCS in that faux old English style (thee/thou, archaic-ish verb forms like "putteth", etc.)?

It seems like a bad habit in some ways, but I have to admit it changes the tone of a story somewhat.

Thoughts?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Nope. They might talk more formally in general, depending on their social class, though. Of course, they're just as likely to talk like rednecks (the dwarves especially).

EDIT: See how I play Arak in the Pyrhric Legacy Shackled City pbp here on ENWorld for my preference. Arak Oathsworn is a minor nobleman and a paladin and is very pleased with himself in general, so he speaks in more formal language than the commoners he is currently working with, but no one should have a hard time understanding him and his manner of speaking wouldn't be seen as particularly unusual in the modern world.

Last edited:

I need an option between "sometimes" and "never." Something along the order of "Once in a blue moon, perhaps for a single NPC out of half a dozen campaigns."

sjmiller

Explorer
I do not have to use faux Old English because I actually know how to speak in Elizabethan English. It comes in handy for performing at Renaissance Festivals (which I do) or Shakespeare plays (which I don't). I can also read Middle English (Chauser) but that takes some work to translate.

BryonD

Hero
Mouseferatu said:
I need an option between "sometimes" and "never." Something along the order of "Once in a blue moon, perhaps for a single NPC out of half a dozen campaigns."
Me too.

I'll certainly use it if something about it clicks with the tone of an npc. But I can't recall any specific cases of that off hand.

lukelightning

First Post
I said "sometimes" but I never really do it in speech, only on written stuff that I hand out. Often it's not so much "olde Englishe" but rather a creative approach to spelling.

Mallak

First Post
I do accents and things (which does make my PbP NPCs a bit difficult to understand!), but I don't use old English contructs.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Nope. I do my best to avoid modern slang and especially anachronistic words, but aside from that... not even a little.

Demiurge be out.

Fishbone

First Post
No, just look at the way the alignments are treated, the religion of the default world, the technological level of the default world etc. It seems pretty Mesopatamian to me, though the cultural trappings are different. Secondly, I just don't see why everybody would talk like that. Even within a certain nation like America there is a huge variance in accents and culture, so why assume everything is medieval and talks all "tea and crumpets"? Because its easy?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads