• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Speaking in Gaseous Form

Gorgon

First Post
Can you speak while in gaseous form? The spell states that you can't cast spells with verbal components, but does not state why. If you can speak why can't you cast spells with verbal components?

IMO, You cannot. You're a cloud of gas. You're a sentient cloud of gas, yes, but you are gas nevertheless. I wouldn't let a gaseous character speak unless I planned on running a Ren & Stimpy campaign... :)

"Stiiinkyyyyyyy!"

AR

Storyteller01

First Post
I'd say no. Nothing physically attached to create sound waves, unless the cloud vibrates really fast :)

Also, nothing about the spell aloows you to comtrol te air around you, so you can't make sounds...

UltimaGabe

First Post
Gorgon said:
The spell states that you can't cast spells with verbal components, but does not state why.

The writers probably decided that something like that was leaning mostly to the side of common sense. After all, if you're made of gas, and completely insubstantial, an indication that you can't cast spells with verbal components (which is really the only combat action requiring speech) would imply very strongly that speech is impossible while gaseous.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads