Special Conversion Thread: Lycanthropes and their ilk

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yes, the leopardwere homebrews needs "Fear of Storms" on the SQ line.

I'd rather make these "jagweres" different from true lycanthropes, such as you might get from applying the lycanthrope tempate to a human and a jaguar, for example. ;)

I think the DR should be magic or darkwood. The rest looks pretty good, but I suppose we should fiddle a bit. Start with ability scores?

Cleon

Legend
I'd rather make these "jagweres" different from true lycanthropes, such as you might get from applying the lycanthrope tempate to a human and a jaguar, for example. ;)

I'm open to suggestions.

I think the DR should be magic or darkwood.

I prefer just darkwood for the Damage Reduction, since it follows D&D Lycanthropes shift from silver & magic "weapons to hit" in AD&D to "DR silver" in 3E. Also, DR "magic or" is pretty useless in 3E, since there are so many magic items.

The rest looks pretty good, but I suppose we should fiddle a bit. Start with ability scores?

Yes.

In real-life, Jaguars are usually larger and sturdier than leopards. The 3E SRD Leopard says to use its stats for Jaguars, but in AD&D a Jaguar is tougher than a leopard - 4+1 HD & damage 1-3/1-3/1-8 & 2-5/2-5 versus 3+2 HD & damage 1-3/1-3/1-6 & 1-4/1-4.

So, I'm thinking we should average a Lion and a Leopard's physical stats:

Lion Str 21, Dex 17, Con 15
Leopard Str 16, Dex 19, Con 15
=> Jaguar Str 19, Dex 18, Con 15?
=> Jagwere Str 21, Dex 18, Con 17?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I prefer just darkwood for the Damage Reduction, since it follows D&D Lycanthropes shift from silver & magic "weapons to hit" in AD&D to "DR silver" in 3E. Also, DR "magic or" is pretty useless in 3E, since there are so many magic items.

Agreed. The "or magic" is fairly useless, except at very low levels.

In real-life, Jaguars are usually larger and sturdier than leopards. The 3E SRD Leopard says to use its stats for Jaguars, but in AD&D a Jaguar is tougher than a leopard - 4+1 HD & damage 1-3/1-3/1-8 & 2-5/2-5 versus 3+2 HD & damage 1-3/1-3/1-6 & 1-4/1-4.

So, I'm thinking we should average a Lion and a Leopard's physical stats:

Lion Str 21, Dex 17, Con 15
Leopard Str 16, Dex 19, Con 15
=> Jaguar Str 19, Dex 18, Con 15?
=> Jagwere Str 21, Dex 18, Con 17?

That appeals.

Cleon

Legend
Shouldn't it have rake as well?

Ahem.

[I said:
Creatures of Darkness[/I]]Combat: Werejaguars are silent, deadly hunters. They move through even the thickest of brush with hardly a sound and strike without warning. Because of their natural hunting prowess, anyone attacked by a werejaguar in a jungle or similar setting suffers a –3 penalty on his surprise check. Further, the creature’s own keen senses of smell, hearing, and eyesight make it impossible to surprise without magical aid of some sort.

The fearsome claws of these deadly beasts are employed in a pair of slashing attacks that inflict 1d4 points of damage each. In addition, the creature can bite for 1d6 points of damage. Because they are not true cats, werejaguars have no raking attack.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Is there anything else to give them? I would frankly give them a bonus to Spot and Listen or else make Imp Init a bonus feat since the original monster can't be surprised easily.

Remove ads