Special Conversion Thread: Plants

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Rather than an attack, this seems like improved grab triggered by stumbling into it. I think I'd probably go with this as a hazard, and pretty similar to the last one.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yeah, I see your point.

I'm not a big fan of hazards, so I think I sometimes try to make a monster when one isn't really there. ;)

Cleon

Legend
Yeah, I see your point.

I'm not a big fan of hazards, so I think I sometimes try to make a monster when one isn't really there. ;)

I sympathize with you, but it does look more like a hazard than a full monster as written.

We could jazz it up to make it a grappling Plant monster if you like.

Give it a decent strength to power 2-8 slam & grab attacks, followed by constriction with an acid kick.

Which would you lot prefer?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, I suppose it could be a (different looking) variant assassin vine. But I still think I see these basically as traps, ie hazards.

Pitcher plant is good to do next!

Cleon

Legend
Let's hazardize 'em and see how they look.

Pitcher plant is on deck. :)

OK, I'll give it a go...

Giant Butterwort (CR X)
A giant butterwort is a carnivorous plant that can be found growing in many environments, it favors waterlogged ground with acidic or alkaline soil. The plant is a rosette or long, flat leaves spread across a circle from 10 to 15 feet in diameter. The leaves blend into their surroundings, it requires a DC Y Spot check to notice a giant butterwort.

The leaves are coated in a powerful adhesive, any creature that steps on the leaves will find itself stuck fast unless it can make a DC 20 Strength check to break free. If a giant butterwort plant feels the pressure of a creature between Tiny and Medium-sized standing upon it, the plant contracts its leaves into a tight ball around its prey; the victim is entitled to attempt a Strength check to escape the adhesive before becoming trapped. A trapped victim is constricted for 1d4 bludgeoning damage plus 2 points of acid damage per round. Trapped victims can be freed by using light slashing or piercing weapons to sever the leaves (AC 13, hp 20) or by killing the plant by severing its stem (AC13, hp 40). Creatures trapped inside the plant's leaf-ball can not reach its stem.

Remove ads