• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Conversion Thread: Plants

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Looks great! Do we want to modify the sporocarp at all, or leave it as is? I guess we could reduce the damage from the spore infestation.

Cleon

Legend
Looks great! Do we want to modify the sporocarp at all, or leave it as is? I guess we could reduce the damage from the spore infestation.

Didn't the description suggests the silver slime's spore burst was more a minor nuisance than a life-threatening hazard?

Cleon

Legend
I believe so.

Let's have a look-see.

"The sporangia are not deadly, but they expel their spores when attacked, and PCs caught in the radius of effect breathe the spores if they fail to save vs. poison. This inflicts 2d4 damage, but has no other ill effects."

So, something minor like 1d3 Con damage (Fort saves negates)?

freyar

Why not just 2d4 acid damage which doesn't continue or need to be scraped off? And no more spore infestation. Like this:

A mature sporocarp resembles a large, dried out mushroom about 10 feet tall. The head of the "mushroom" is hollow and filled with spores about an inch long. A dry sporocarp has vulnerability to fire. It is AC 1, hardness 5, and takes 120 hit points of damage to destroy, but any weapon damage which does not destroy the sporocarp causes it to split open and release its spores. The spores scatter in a cloud covering a 30 foot radius, doing 2d4 points of acid damage to any organic matter they touch, including living creatures.

Given enough time and food, even a single spore can grow and multiply into an entire silver slime colony. Partially developed sporocarps are soggy and covered with damp mucus, giving them fire resistance 5. Such a sporocarp poses no threat, since its spores are not ready to reproduce.

The only other thing to fiddle with is the size, I guess, but I'd be happy to leave that alone.

Cleon

Legend
Why not just 2d4 acid damage which doesn't continue or need to be scraped off? And no more spore infestation. Like this:

I suppose that would work, since we used continuing damage for our Slime Mold conversion's Sporocarp.

It's just 2d4 acid damage hardly seems worth bothering with, but I suppose that's the point!

CR 1/2?

freyar

Tactics:

In swarm form, silver slime will first try to slather as many opponents as possible in its concrete and then coalesce into a slug.

Cleon

Legend
Tactics:

In swarm form, silver slime will first try to slather as many opponents as possible in its concrete and then coalesce into a slug.

Firstly, silver slimes can only produce concrete in slug form.

Secondly, silver slime swarms cannot coalesce into a slug during combat.

The slug form is a later stage in their life cycle, not something they can switch into and out of willy-nilly.

Please try again!

Remove ads