Specific Paladin Question

SonOfLilith

First Post
well how about granted powers? I mean, even if it isn't an official rule, what do you think about that as a house rule. They do pray under the same Gods, right?

hong

WotC's bitch
SonOfLilith said:
well how about granted powers? I mean, even if it isn't an official rule, what do you think about that as a house rule. They do pray under the same Gods, right?

Well, since we're talking about house rules now, it comes down to how you see paladins fitting into your campaign world. I, personally, don't think the paladin class should have anything to do with religion or gods per se. The paladin is basically an exemplar of a society's heroic ideal, the "knight in shining armour", if you like. It's only D&D that's given the class quasi-religious overtones, turning it into a holy warrior or religious champion.

Because of that, I wouldn't give paladins granted powers in a campaign I run. In fact, I probably wouldn't even use paladins at all, as written. If you want to play a holy warrior, that's easily done by taking a multiclassed fighter/cleric, or even a straight cleric. The defining characteristic of a paladin, as I see it, is the devotion to the heroic ideal, and you don't need a specific class for that.

If someone wanted to play a character whose devotion to the heroic ideal was _reflected_ in their class abilities, I would get them to play a knight, which is basically the OA samurai converted over.

Bob Aberton

First Post
This is just my personal opinion, but I personally don't like the idea of paladins "Sneak Attacking." The very name "Sneak Attack" smacks of roguery, cheating and deceit. It's more or less the same as stabbing someone in the back. Now thats not a paladin-ly tactic.

Just think about it - would Sir Galahad Sneak Attack a foe? Would any of the knights of the Round Table use such a tactic? And, after all, the paladin is supposed to be Sir Galahad-like figure. I just can't imagine a knight in shinig armor Sneak Attacking.

hong

WotC's bitch
Bob Aberton said:
This is just my personal opinion, but I personally don't like the idea of paladins "Sneak Attacking." The very name "Sneak Attack" smacks of roguery, cheating and deceit. It's more or less the same as stabbing someone in the back. Now thats not a paladin-ly tactic.

Just think about it - would Sir Galahad Sneak Attack a foe? Would any of the knights of the Round Table use such a tactic? And, after all, the paladin is supposed to be Sir Galahad-like figure. I just can't imagine a knight in shinig armor Sneak Attacking.

Since your objection is basically to terminology as opposed to game mechanics, a better solution might just be to rename the ability. "Precise strike", for example, doesn't have any connotations of underhandedness.

Squire James

First Post
If all Paladins are required to be like Sir Galahad or Sir Lancelot, I guess all Rangers must be like Robin Hood, all Wizards and/or Sorcerers must be like Gandalf, and all Barbarians should make perfect story sense if someone changed their name to "Conan".

The "Deed of Paksenarrion" series by Elizabeth Moon gives an excellent example of a paladin who didn't grow up as an aristocrat. I clearly recall one case where she jumped off her horse to knock an Evil Guy (tm) from his horse, land on top of him, and cut his throat before he could react. The Evil Guy would have probably killed them all if she didn't do that.

I fail to see why someone should lose her paladinhood simply for using her brain! It's all in the target, you see, and yes she did detect evil (like the black bolt that killed one of her companions wasn't enough!).

reapersaurus

First Post
SonOfLilith said:
this is kinda OT forom this, but do Paladins get Domains? I mean, they worship gods like clerics, and have to pick one, so do or, should I say, should they get domain spells?
actually, they don't have to pick a god.

Remove ads