D&D 5E Speculating about the future of the D&D industry/community in a post-5E world

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
Without diving into much of the conversation that's come after the OP, I'd just like to throw this in (which isn't anything really new either, but...):

My personal picks for go-to games are 4e and C&C, and C&C is rapidly being replaced by 5e, at least until such time as the bloat changes that trajectory for me. They scratch different itches, very different ones, the only real similarity being that they are include dungeons and dragons; everything else is totally different in terms of how I play and run it.

I don't see why Pathfinder can't be a good, viable 3rd in this arena, but, from both the perspective as a hobby gamer and a business, Paizo needs to make sure that Pathfinder "looks different enough" from the currently available options to stay at the top. I don't know how they can do it *if* 5e has some really well-fleshed out and well-marketed "advanced" options coming down the pipeline, but that's a big *if*, and even then, 5e has to do that stuff well. Pathfinder currently fits a very player-facing niche of lots of dials and widgets and choices that are fun (and many that aren't, too, but the sheer # of choices is a feature for many people), and I don't see that niche dissipating much over time. It's existed since very early in D&D's history.

Eirikrautha

First Post
You seem to have missed my point, I'm afraid.

I'm not arguing for Paizo, or their APs. Your whole "could be construed as negatives" deal doesn't actually engage with what I'm saying at all. I'll simplify it for you:

No-one who buys Paizo APs is likely to regard those things as bad points.

No-one who wants a sandbox, buys an AP.*

So what you're saying is there irrelevant.

As for the heavy rules leading to the APs, well, I agree 100% that the rules-heavy nature of 3.XE lead directly to the popularity of APs**. However, I would strongly argue that it is not why they remain popular. Rather, peculiar circumstances lead to a moderately common kind of product becoming a very common kind, and created a large audience for that product. That audience is not going away, because otherwise, they'd already have gone to the multitude of other RPGs which already offer that lighter DM load (OSR games, 4E, most RPGs).

As for your claim of "winging it" being "sop" in 1/2E, well, obviously that can't be true generally (true for your groups, sure), because Dungeon was popular, as were adventure modules, including ones equivalent to APs (they were usually boxed sets which were much more expensive and unfriendly than APs, though). 1/2E were much easier to wing it in, but they weren't trivial to do so, and a lot of DMs liked pre-written adventures.

So that market now exists and does not hate APs. I know a number of DMs who have kids and a lot of work, and don't feel they have time to write adventures to the standard that they would like, and those guys, they buy APs, and would buy APs for 5E, but would not write adventures for it - they just don't have time for creating maps and dungeons and elaborate plots and NPC backstories (or feel they don't, it's irrelevant as to whether they actually don't).

* = Unless they have literally no idea what they are buying.
** = I know this because I used to like APs, but 4E doesn't have remotely the same overhead as 3.XE/PF, so I found I didn't need them and started writing my own adventures again.

[-Removed post-]

-- Edit: I'd rather just ignore the condescension in your post and leave the conversation...

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
Again, the games themselves are fine and I don't think anyone is having wrongbadfun by playing one, the other, or both. But them monopolizing the market is, in my eyes, partly responsible for its marginalization. And that monopoly gets broken much more dramatically by actual-D&D floundering than by PF doing so.

If that monopoly were going to break, it would have done so over the last few years (and by some accounting it may have happened, with PF being the beneficiary). In those years we saw no resurgence of WoD or Shadowrun. Both GURPS and HERO had new editions that failed to become the mainstream term for role-playing. Great new games like FATE Core were successful in their niches but surely essentially invisible to the world at large. D&D has been around for 40 years and dominant for much of it. Simple inertia is not enough to explain it, either, given the handful of near implosions of the game. Twice it disappeared almost completely from the shelves (2E and 4E) and yet it is still the game to beat. There's a reason for that, though I would hazard that even WotC can't articulate it fully.

carmachu

Explorer
Its a big question.

PFs win seemed to come off of 4Es loss. If 5E does start to win...

But you never know.

Exactly. Plus things to consider is the pathfinder bloat is pretty staggering right now- its why (among other reasons) I stopped buying and playing pathfinder. putting out that many items every month/year is a bit much for me now. A fresh start is a good thing.....

Plus the added insular nature pathfinder forum has gotten lately has gotten on a few folks nerves. (I'll grant that is a bit in my own circle's world view, but it doesn't make it less true. See also the side by side "review" of pathfinder beginner box and D&D starter box).

Werebat

Explorer
Plus the added insular nature pathfinder forum has gotten lately has gotten on a few folks nerves. (I'll grant that is a bit in my own circle's world view, but it doesn't make it less true. See also the side by side "review" of pathfinder beginner box and D&D starter box).

I was about to say that it was interesting to see someone else noticing the same thing about the Paizo forums, and then I noticed that you were posting in the recent thread I had started there (which has since been locked).

I was figuring that at least SOME of what I was seeing was just due to me being an obnoxious twit, but it's telling that others are picking up on this... insularity? Good word for it.

EDIT: By way of contrast, I am thinking of the webfora at www.bbtactics.com, where I coach a team in the Big Crunch. This is Blood Bowl, a game where people kill each other's players, sometimes by gangfouling them when they are down, and for all the mock trashtalking going on there it is easily one of the friendliest and most civil areas of the internet I have ever had the privilege of frequenting. On the Paizo forums I have at times felt persecuted merely for suggesting that maybe the Gunslinger's touch attack mechanic was overpowered, or stating that I allow 3.5 material in my games.

And GOD FORBID you happen to accidentally use a word that might be offensive to certain groups.

Last edited:

carmachu

Explorer
I was about to say that it was interesting to see someone else noticing the same thing about the Paizo forums, and then I noticed that you were posting in the recent thread I had started there (which has since been locked).

I was figuring that at least SOME of what I was seeing was just due to me being an obnoxious twit, but it's telling that others are picking up on this... insularity? Good word for it.
*nods* yes. I'm not alone. I have at least two others I know of, people I actually know that have had the same problem, including one that got a time out. You are not alone in that matter. I've stopped using the forums for general gaming discussion.

And GOD FORBID you happen to accidentally use a word that might be offensive to certain groups.

They are VERY VERY sensitive on that matter. Including at least one "discussion" on a mod over there that seems to argue on the matter and folks mentioning they don't quite trust her even handedness on the matters of such.

I've said this before and I'll say this again: paizo of today is nothing like the paizo of 2008 when I switch my dungeon and dragon magazine subscriptions over to something new and exciting. Both as a product and as conduct as a company.

I know I'm not alone, just like you aren't, in the thinking. Its one of many reasons I drop subscribing two years ago and just sold all I had recently- besides the fact something new and exciting is coming around in 5th- and the more I show folks in my circles, the more they seem to like 5th. including one causual player who's picking up the starter set.

Again, granted its again, whats happening in my circle may not be whats happening in others.

Jake Johnson

First Post
We seem to zoom out to a market view and back down to the individual player level in this conversation a bit. Here's another observation from the player level:

This morning I shared the elevator with, among others, one of our grad student assistants. I'd heard he played D&D after forming my initial group to run through the Starter Set. I know he wants to play, so I invited him to jump in when we start Hoard of the Dragon Queen. He said he would love to join us. Now at our floor, walking to our respective work areas, we chatted about his gaming history. He's played only Pathfinder for the past few years, hates 4E, and would really like to continue playing Pathfinder. He seemed a little sad (but accepting) when I let him know that Pathfinder isn't under playing consideration for our group unless 5E turns out to be something other than what it seems. Several members of our group have indicated a preference for 1E-style play, and a Theatre of the Mind vibe. To my mind, this is where the competition happens.

Werebat

Explorer
They are VERY VERY sensitive on that matter. Including at least one "discussion" on a mod over there that seems to argue on the matter and folks mentioning they don't quite trust her even handedness on the matters of such.

I consider myself to be pretty open minded and accepting. I teach English as a Second Language to immigrant kids who are mostly minorities. There are three different religious traditions in my nuclear family, and my wife and I are of different races. I have a few gay friends and co-workers, one of whom happens to game with us (he's a great guy). I've had several GLBQ students (no T that I know of), and for the most part I've thought they were great kids -- one of them frequently dropped by my class to say hi last year even though she wasn't really in any of my classes.

Out of innocent ignorance -- really meaning no slight to anyone -- I used a word that is apparently controversial in the community as part of a pun joke (the word itself was not used in a derogatory manner, but it is now my understanding that the word itself is considered to be at least controversial in certain circles). Within minutes, a Paizo regular -- who self-identified as "cisgender", which research revealed to basically mean "straight" -- let me have it with a full blast from his flamethrower, a rebuke that included the word "lame" used in a clearly derogatory manner (ie "your lame joke").

This was telling. Words do hurt, and even an accidental broach of etiquette can cause problems, but it was a picture perfect example of hypocrisy for this person to use the word "lame" in a derogatory manner while blasting me for accidentally using another controversial word in a manner that was clearly NOT derogatory. How is a person with difficulty walking due to an accident suffered years prior supposed to take that?

When I pointed this out, complete with a link to a video of a lesbian with MS who was explaining that she found derogatory use of the word "lame" to be as bad as derogatory use of the word "gay", my post was deleted. No one ever called the "cisgender" fellow out on what he had done, and he never apologized for it (I apologized for my own remark even though it had been completely accidental and, again, NOT used in a derogatory fashion).

There have been other incidents but this one left an especially bad taste in my mouth. I spoke to the gay guy I game with and asked him his opinion, and he told me that the word I had used was indeed seen as inflammatory in certain circles, but that it seemed to him that the rebuke and admin's handling of the whole affair had gone a bit overboard.

To the extent that I can, I think I *get* that people who have been hurt can tend to overreact when reminded of that hurt. I've been through my own bumps in life and can sometimes be quick to (over)react or jump to conclusions about the content of someone's mind and heart when they say something that even hints of prejudice that has burned me. So I can be compassionate and forgiving of overreaction -- but this guy was neither G, L, B, T, nor Q! I don't know, it was just... such a perfect example of hypocrisy that I almost wish I had taken a screenshot of it.

I hate incidents like this because they can make me feel irritated with an entire group of people who I genuinely do NOT want to feel irritated by. Ecch. :rant:

And now I'm overreacting. And I'll calm down. But too often I end up feeling this way after visiting the Paizo boards.

When I post there I often end up feeling as though I'm viewed as an outsider who hasn't been deemed worthy of having opinions yet. Not yet "one of the gang" who has earned that right, and worthy of scorn for having the audacity to speak out without it having been given.

Insular -- that's a great word for it. Thanks.

Last edited:

Werebat

Explorer
We seem to zoom out to a market view and back down to the individual player level in this conversation a bit. Here's another observation from the player level:

This morning I shared the elevator with, among others, one of our grad student assistants. I'd heard he played D&D after forming my initial group to run through the Starter Set. I know he wants to play, so I invited him to jump in when we start Hoard of the Dragon Queen. He said he would love to join us. Now at our floor, walking to our respective work areas, we chatted about his gaming history. He's played only Pathfinder for the past few years, hates 4E, and would really like to continue playing Pathfinder. He seemed a little sad (but accepting) when I let him know that Pathfinder isn't under playing consideration for our group unless 5E turns out to be something other than what it seems. Several members of our group have indicated a preference for 1E-style play, and a Theatre of the Mind vibe. To my mind, this is where the competition happens.

My observation from a DM/GM level:

I've run games since 2nd Edition, and by that I mean there has rarely been a time since 2nd Edition came out that I have NOT been running a game (I started PLAYING a bit before AD&D came out). I enjoyed 3rd Edition a lot as a player once I had wrapped my head around it, but when I ran a 3.5 game for the first time I found it very difficult to keep the challenge level up for the players. There were several reasons for this -- we had a large group, we were joined by one or two real powergamers, and the rapid expanse of the internet spawned things like character optimization boards that made it relatively easy for even less prone players to whip up very potent "builds", or harbor rules exploits under their cloaks to be saved for emergency situations.

I found it tiring. It probably didn't help that by the time I ran my game, even 3.5 had had years to sprout splatbooks and bloat. By the time that game ended around level 16 (I had run it biweekly for years by that point), I was disillusioned with the system.

For my next game, I had planned to end things much earlier -- by level 12 or so -- but wasn't going to tell the players that. I just wasn't into how the game played at high levels. Lots of bookkeeping and room for rules exploits to crop up.

JUST before that campaign started, I read about E6, and fell in love with it. I convinced my play group to give it a whirl, and they were into it... for a while. But they lost interest maybe 5-10 feats after attaining level 6. We ran the campaign to 6+20 feats, but suffered from player attrition as people, in retrospect, got bored and dropped out (still, we were able to finish the campaign to its conclusion).

I decided to raise the bar for my next campaign -- the one I am running right now and about to end. This would be Pathfinder, which seemed more streamlined than 3rd Edition, and I ran it as an E8 game intending to only go to 10 "epic" feats. I think this would have worked well but unfortunately due to a math error I had the PCs gaining epic feats at four times the recommended rate, and by the time I had noticed some damage had been done, and my quick fix only dropped feat progression to double what was recommended. Once again, people got bored around 5-10 "epic" feats in, and we suffered player attrition as people dropped out (there were reasons other than getting bored, but I'm sure getting bored was a part of it).

My intention was to run a Paizo AP "Carrion Crown" next, maybe as an E8 game with mythic tiers thrown in, but at this point (most of) my players are pretty much burned out on E# and have said so. Also, a player in a related group I play in went out and bought "Carrion Crown" to run with his another group, and one of the players from THAT group recently joined my own, so running CC was sort of taken off the table. I was thinking of running the upcoming Iron Gods, as a straight-up AP with no 3.5 material allowed and some other restrictions on gunslingers, etc.

And then I saw a post where someone mentioned that 5th Edition was similar to E6 in some ways. And I checked it out (I had previously had no real interest in 5th, having switched to Pathfinder when 4th Edition came out because 4th didn't appeal to me and PF had been there looking like such an improvement over 3.5).

My players' reaction has been mixed. I'm going to offer to just buy them all the 5th Edition PHBs so money won't be an issue; some of them seemed interested when I spoke to them, some of them mentioned concerns about cost.

I'll pick up my own copy of the PHB and read it through before making that commitment though. If I do, I will likely be running Tyranny of Dragons as it comes out.

I'm liking the simplification of rules that seems to be coming with 5th Edition. I like that it is recognizable as having essentially been built from the same chassis as 3rd Edition, which I am familiar with (4th Edition never felt like that, and it lost me in large part because of it). I'm liking the restrictions on buffs that should get rid of a lot of the time players spend decking themselves out like Christmas trees with buff spells, the time I have to spent keeping track of who has what buff for how long, etc. I'm liking that Teleport is now a 7th level spell, and the implications that that brings for the other "easy travel" spells. And to a degree I'm just liking the idea of jumping on to a new system before the CharOp folks have a chance to pick it apart and break it, before the inevitable slew of splatbooks comes along to make it easy for them to do that, before my own players start to get TOO savvy to the rules.

Because right now, working full time and caring for four kids, I don't really have to time to pore through the books and regularly visit forums looking for ways to challenge a large party of well optimized PCs in a straight-up campaign of what Pathfinder has become.

Last edited:

Jake Johnson

First Post
My observation from a DM/GM level:

My players' reaction has been mixed. I'm going to offer to just buy them all the 5th Edition PHBs so money won't be an issue; some of them seemed interested when I spoke to them, some of them mentioned concerns about cost.

I'll pick up my own copy of the PHB and read it through before making that commitment though. If I do, I will likely be running Tyranny of Dragons as it comes out.

I'm liking the simplification of rules that seems to be coming with 5th Edition. I like that it is recognizable as having essentially been built from the same chassis as 3rd Edition, which I am familiar with (4th Edition never felt like that, and it lost me in large part because of it). I'm liking the restrictions on buffs that should get rid of a lot of the time players spend decking themselves out like Christmas trees with buff spells, the time I have to spent keeping track of who has what buff for how long, etc. I'm liking that Teleport is now a 7th level spell, and the implications that that brings for the other "easy travel" spells. And to a degree I'm just liking the idea of jumping on to a new system before the CharOp folks have a chance to pick it apart and break it, before the inevitable slew of splatbooks comes along to make it easy for them to do that, before my own players start to get TOO savvy to the rules.

Because right now, working full time and caring for four kids, I don't really have to time to pore through the books and regularly visit forums looking for ways to challenge a large party of well optimized PCs in a straight-up campaign of what Pathfinder has become.

It's interesting to note that in both of our groups, there's a strong desire to focus on the fun and enjoyment of spending the gaming session telling a story together. The intensive rules and character optimization are interesting from an academic perspective, but not what I want out of the game at the table. Again, this is where the competition lies. When Mearls and friends say they're asking, "What makes D&D D&D?" I'm hoping they get it right. For me, nothing after 2E seems even close. I sent my group a link to Frog Gods Primer for Old School Gamers tonight.

Bravo for lowering the economic barrier to entry for your players. I can't afford to buy one for everyone, but maybe I'll pick up a loaner copy to share.

Remove ads