• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Speed Stunt

BlackJaw

First Post
I remember from before, we mentioned the idea of a Stunt that let you travel faster then your vehilce normaly could... did we ever do any planning on that concept?

I always figured that you just make a DC check, if you beat XX you get an extra grid space of movement. Get a really high number and you get maybe two. It wouldn't stack with itself etc.

Did we ever rule for/againts this?

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
BlackJaw said:
I remember from before, we mentioned the idea of a Stunt that let you travel faster then your vehilce normaly could... did we ever do any planning on that concept?

I always figured that you just make a DC check, if you beat XX you get an extra grid space of movement. Get a really high number and you get maybe two. It wouldn't stack with itself etc.

Did we ever rule for/againts this?
Yeah, the rule (I believe, I'll have to go through posts to find it) was that this ability could be available as a Feat rather than a Stunt. That is, only those with experience, nerves and that special something in their brains or their hands or whatever could coax more speed out of a machine.

Speed Demon, I think we called it.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Here was my reasoning (for why Speed Demon should be a Feat rather than a Stunt) in the original thread:
originally posted by me
I think the ability to push a vehicle past its normal limits ought to be a feat for a couple of reasons:

1. A vehicle should only have one Top Speed, not a Top Speed and a Even More Top Speed Speed.

2. Not just anyone who's learned how to operate a vessel ought to be able to do this. It involves a special combination of nerve, intuition and skill. No amount of flying lessons will give you the ability to do this.

3. It's functionally similar to something like Cleave -- an ability with a tool that most people don't have, and that proficiency with the tool doesn't provide.
No decision was ever made, but I stand firm on this reasoning. Speed Demon should be a Feat.

Last edited:

BlackJaw

First Post
I just liked the idea of two people in (lets say) identicle vehicles, one being faster then the ohter through skill.

I thought it would be a stunt, but I accept the argument that it should be feat. My question is: Do we need to call it "Speed Demon"??

I Dunno, it works in the d20 Modern kind of way, but its slang that I wouldn't really attach to D&D, especialy with Demons in D&D... and I don't know if I'd group them all into that "fast/speed" group.

and no: Speedster is not a good option either. Speeder doesn't work well... hmm its a hard one isn't it? I hate naming.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
BlackJaw said:
Do we need to call it "Speed Demon"??
No. I hate that name. Just been using it because it was lying around.

Call it something like Nerves of Steel, or Natural Pilot. You could probably build a piloting feat chain that would touch on a variety of piloting-related abilities (increase your vehicle's AC, increase the Hard Turn value, yada yada yada) -- one of which would be increase your vehicle's Speed rating.

BlackJaw

First Post
good idea. a nice set of piloting feats.

Vehicle Profciencies: A few, one for each broad category of vehicle, catagories very from setting to setting, and we need a side bar listing some sample ones for diffrent settings.

speeder feat (?): get one more "space" out of your vehicle by default. Spicific to one catagory of vehicle. requires the proficiencey feat for that catagory of vheicle. both speed and glide speed are effected.

turning improvement feat (?): you get an extra turn (45o) for both purposes of normal turns and also making hard turns. Again it requires the basic proficiencey of that vehicle. Counts toward manuverbility and glide manuverability. Clumsy vehicles piloted by a character with this feat would be able to make a single turn without using a feat!

ac boost feat (?): you get a dodge(?) bonus to your vessel, again spicific to one type of vessel, and requires prof. feat for that vehicle.

"Shot on the Wing": Essentialy fly by attack for pilots (Because Fly by attack is for natural fliers, this allows a pilot to make their attack action in the middle of the steer a vehicle action. the only diffrence is that it has preqs: vehicle prof. where as flying creatures can simply take Fly by Attack as a feat) Noramly a pilot can make their attack before or after the steer a vessel action.

"Fly By Attack": we might want to touch base on this one and how it works in our system... essentialy one attack (or is it action?) in the middle of a steer a vessel action. It might be action isntead of attack because dragon's breath and spell like abilities work that way?

"Natural Pilot": an inhrenent bonus? circmstance bonus? hmmm some kind of bonus to piloting one category of vehicle. This would stack with a Skill Focus (Piloting) feat.??? Maybe this isn't needed? maybe the name would work better with the extra turning feat?

Remove ads