• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Speeding ticket: Part Deux the Trial (not really, but the conclusion)

The_lurkeR

First Post
Hey all, for those of you who remember my speeding ticket rant back in February (which unfortunately turned into a heated debate), I thought I'd post the follow-up to conclude the story.

I sent in a plea of "not-guilty" at the time (not because I thought I was innocent, but because I was hoping for leniency). Eventually I received a letter back requesting me to meet with a representative of the state prosecutors to discuss the charges pre-trial. So today I went to the courthouse and waited my turn in the courtroom as four prosecutors called people up individually to discuss their cases. I think I got lucky and was called up by the only one who smiled as she greeted and spoke with people.

After a pleasant short discussion, I was offered a deal where I pay the $ amount of the fine to a victims services charity and they would nolle (drop) the charge. So in the end it was a happy win-win! :D

The_lurkeR

First Post
Oh I forgot to mention a funny story while I was there waiting in the traffic courtroom...

An officer of the court comes in and asked who had the white Chevy Suburban license plate blah blah blah?

A woman behind me says it's hers, and the officer politely asks her to come out and move it. I can hear her yelling about "... where the hell else am I supposed to park it?!" as she followed him out.

Another guy behind me starts chuckling, and says he saw her park as he was coming in. She parked in parking lot of the bank next door... in the HANDICAP spot!!! :lol:

There was plenty of space in the free court parking down the road, but when she came back 10 minutes later she was still bitching and moaning about how she's "a woman" and therefore has trouble parking her big suv in the parking garage spots. Which I guess therefore made her feel entitled to park in the nice big handicap spot?! :p

IronWolf

blank
The_lurkeR said:
After a pleasant short discussion, I was offered a deal where I pay the $ amount of the fine to a victims services charity and they would nolle (drop) the charge. So in the end it was a happy win-win! :D

Good deal! Not too bad of a bargain if you ask me! Anything to keep it out of the Insurance company's sight....

The_lurkeR

First Post
IronWolf said:
Good deal! Not too bad of a bargain if you ask me! Anything to keep it out of the Insurance company's sight....

Exactly :cool: They also offered to halve the fine if I accepted the charge, but that's nothing compared to what it would have cost in insurance. (The fine was $180) Plus I didn't mind at all paying the full amount when I know that it's all going to a good cause.

DaveStebbins

First Post
Wow, what a reasonable option to have offered! That really surprises the cynic in me.

And 'good on you' for taking the best option. That's about the best way things could have been resolved (within reason).

-Dave

Lhorgrim

Explorer
I don't think the donation thing is available in my court system, but it makes such great sense that Monday I'm going to propose it to our County Prosecutor and District Judges.

That is just an excellent program :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads