• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell Component Pouch

irdeggman

First Post
irdeggman said:
Be careful not to neuter the feat eschew materials by allowing the spell component pouch to do too much.

It has a limit of 1 gp for material components - which would clearly work for bolts, since they are less than 1 gp each

Are divine foci smaller that a cross bow bolt?

They too are not allowed.

Kwitchit

First Post
irdeggman said:
Be careful not to neuter the feat eschew materials by allowing the spell component pouch to do too much.

It has a limit of 1 gp for material components - which would clearly work for bolts, since they are less than 1 gp each
Eschew Materials is useless for Launch Bolt- the bolt isn't just the material component, it's also the target, so you still need it to cast the spell. The only difference is that unless you have Eschew Materials, the bolt disappears after it hits. Otherwise, Launch Bolt + Eschew Materials would be too powerful for an offensive cantrip (d8 damage, vs. d3 for Ray of Frost).

mvincent

Explorer
Tiberius said:
The bolt disappears after it hits anyway; only ammo that misses is potentially retrievable.
Ammo does not "disappear" (and this has been conclusively discussed before). It is simply (effectively) broken. For those concerned with realism, a broken (say) arrow could be possibly be used as material for crafting a new arrow, or maybe even as improvised (-4) arrow. For wizards, they might even have a way to reuse some damaged bolts in their material component pouch.

Aestolia

First Post
mvincent said:
Ammo does not "disappear" (and this has been conclusively discussed before). It is simply (effectively) broken. For those concerned with realism, a broken (say) arrow could be possibly be used as material for crafting a new arrow, or maybe even as improvised (-4) arrow. For wizards, they might even have a way to reuse some damaged bolts in their material component pouch.

But in the case of the Launch Bolt cantrip, the bolt is a Material Component, not a focus. So even if you missed, and the missed bolt survived (50% Chance), it would have been consumed by the casting of the spell.

So in the case of this spell i feel it's safe to say: Cast , Hit , Damage , Bolt disappears from the casting of the spell.

If it were a Focus i'd say: Cast, Hit, Damage, Bolt (focus) stays there, but is broken / destroyed.

Aestolia

First Post
Kwitchit said:
Eschew Materials is useless for Launch Bolt- the bolt isn't just the material component, it's also the target, so you still need it to cast the spell. The only difference is that unless you have Eschew Materials, the bolt disappears after it hits. Otherwise, Launch Bolt + Eschew Materials would be too powerful for an offensive cantrip (d8 damage, vs. d3 for Ray of Frost).

Eschew matrerials works with this spell - a single bolt has a value of 1sp, it's even specified as such in SC.

Ray of frost is a ranged touch, Launch bolt is a regular ranged attack.

Sure it's a d8 as opposed to a d3, but the AC difference alone counters this.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Aestolia said:
Eschew matrerials works with this spell - a single bolt has a value of 1sp, it's even specified as such in SC.

Certainly the feat works... but if you don't have a crossbow bolt at all, what are you casting the spell on?

-Hyp.

Aestolia

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Certainly the feat works... but if you don't have a crossbow bolt at all, what are you casting the spell on?

-Hyp.

Good point, suppose it would only matter in the case of a miss:

Without Eschew Materials, if you miss and save, the bolt is still gone because it's consumed by the spell as a material component

With Eschew Materials, if you miss and save, the bolt would be recoverable, as the material component was eschewed.

glass

(he, him)
Aestolia said:
I agree completely and always thought about the same lines, i was asked this because of the Launch Bolt cantrip.

"so... can i just keep pulling out bolts from my pouch?"
Crossbow bolts have a listed cost, so you don't find them in a spell component pouch even if you do rule that it magically restocks itself. EDIT: Never mind; that has been well addressed by others.

FWIW, I have always assumed it was the 'wizard tops it up has he goes along' option.

glass.

Last edited:

Remove ads