• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell Conversion Levels 0 and 1

Cabral

First Post
Okay, my campaign is postponed so I thought I'd take the time to convert the standard Divine and Arcane spells to use the Psionics spell point system.

The only casters are an Artificer, Enchanter (Psion - Telepath), Psychic Warrior and a Sorcerer. Obviously, only the first and last need converting.

As part of the revision, I'll be bumping most cantrips up to first level. Not sure about the rest. For the remainder:
Option 1) Bump them up to First level as well.
Option 2) Allow them to be used at will. (I do not like cast x per day and then the rest cost 1 spell point.)
Option 3) Remove them from the game. (Not really an option ... at least for the long term.)

So, let's see how many I have the patience for in one post :D

"Level 0"
If it is normally on your class list, Read Magic at will as a spell like ability at will; or
treat "magic" as a written only magic.

Needs to be addressed:
Arcane Mark
Detect Magic (Detect Magic Replaces Detect Psionics)
Detect Poison
Dancing Lights
Flare (Probably will be moved to 1st level)
Ghost Sound
Light
Mage Hand (Probably will be moved to 1st level)
Mending
Prestidigitation

Level 1
Burning Hands: As written except: Damage is 1d4 Fire Damage; add "Augment: Each additional spell point increases the fire damage by 1d4."

Charm Person: As Charm, Psionic

Chill Touch: As written except: duration: 1 round/level; you may make 1 touch attack that deals 1d6 damage; add "Augment: For each additional spell point spent, you can make one additional touch attack during the duration. Every 2 spell points spent this way adds 1 to the DCs"

Enlarge Person: As Expansion

Grease: As Grease, Psionic.

Mage Armor: As Inertial Armor.

Magic Missile: As written except the spell produces 1 missile that does 1d4+1 damage; add "Augment: Every 2 additional spell points produces an additional missile that also deals 1d4+1 damage."

Magic Weapon: As Metaphysical Weapon

Reduce Person: As Compression.

Shield: As Force Screen.

Shocking Grasp: As written except: Damage is 1d6 Electricity Damage; add "Augment: Each additional spell point increases the electricity damage by 1d6."

Summon Monster __: As written, except add "augment: for every two additional power points, the list of monsters summoned from is increased by one." (Poor wording)

Needs to be addressed:
Acid Splash (moved from 0th level)
Alarm
Animate Rope:
Cause Fear:
Color Spray:
Comprehend Languages:
Daze (moved from 0th level)
Detect Secret Doors:
Detect Undead:
Disguise Self:
Disrupt Undead (moved from 0th level)
Endure Elements
Erase:
Expeditious Retreat:
Feather Fall:
Floating Disk:
Hold Portal
Hypnotism:
Identify:
Jump:
Magic Aura:
Mount
Obscurring Mist
Protection from [Alignment]
Ray of Enfeeblement:
Ray of Frost (moved from 0th level)
Resistance (moved from 0th level)
Silent Image:
Sleep:
Touch of Fatigue (Very nasty with vitalizing Spell Points option)
True Strike:
Unseen Servant
Ventriloquism:

Artificer Lists
Level 1
Armor Enhancement, Lesser: rename Armor Enhancement, base off Metaphysical weapon but language for augment needs to be figured out to allow for the +x gp special abilities (like Shadow).

Inflict Light Damage: This will be renamed Inflict Damage and use the same mechanic as Inflict Wounds, Cure Wounds, and Repair Damage. This will probably be based off of the Body Adjustment power.

Magic Weapon: See above.

Repair Light Damage: See Inflict Light Damage.

Weapon Augmentation, Personal: Rename Weapon Augmentation; Add:
"Augment: +2 Spell Points, the enchanted Item can be used by anyone; +4 Spell Points duration becomes 1 hour/level; Each +2 Spell Points increases maximum equivelant bonus by +1. (Needs language for +x gp enhancements.)

Needs to be addressed:
Energy Alteration: Non-OGC
Enhancement Alteration: Non-OGC
Identify:
Light:
Magic Stone:
Resistance Item: Non-OGC
Shield of Faith:
Skill Enhancement: Non-OGC
Spell Storing Item: Non-OGC

I'll probably do 2nd through 4th (which will make me caught up with my players - starting level 8) in a few days after I finish most of these ...

Note: I don't have Magic of Eberron so I won't be doing any of those spells ... Maybe if I ever get it I might come back and add them.

Last edited:

Cabral

First Post
Installment 2

"Level 0"
Mending As written, except add "This does not restore any lost hardness or hit points."

Still Needs to be addressed:
Detect Poison
Dancing Lights
Ghost Sound
Light
Prestidigitation

Level 1
Acid Splash As written, except: Change level to 1; Acid damage is 1d4 and ignores hardness. In addition, every creature within 5ft of affected creature takes 1 point of acid damage; Augment: Every 2 additional spell points spent increase the initial damage by 1d4 and the splash damage by 1.

Arcane Mark As written but change level to 1.

Daze Changed level to 1; As Daze, Psionic.

Detect Magic As written but change level to 1 and it detects both Magic and Psionics.

Disguise Self: As written except add: "Augment: +4 spell points, duration is 1 hour/level"

Disrupt Undead Change level to 1. Damage is 2d6. Augment: each additional spell point increases the damage by 1d6.

Identify:As written except this works for both Psionic and Magic items. Add: "Augment: +6 Spell Points, the casting time is 1 minute."

Floating Disk:As written, except it can hold 100 pounds. Add: "Augment: Every additional spell point spent increases the weight capacity by 150 lbs."

Jump: As written except bonus is +10. Add "Augment: every 2 additional spell points spent increases the bonus by +5. +6 Spell points, cast as a swift action."

Mage Hand Change level to 1. As Far Hand. Neither Mage Hand nor Far Hand have duration limits.

Mount As written, but add "augment: +2 spell points, the spell summons a heavy horse instead."

Ray of Frost Change level to 1. Deals 1d6 Cold damage.

Resistance Change level to 1, adds +1 to all saves for 1 round per level. augment: Every 2 additional spell point spent increases the bonus by +1. +4 spell points, duration is 1 min/level.

Sleep: As written except add "augment: every additional spell point spent increases the max HD that can be affected by 1."

Summon Monster I: Rename Summon Monster As written, except add "augment: for every two additional power points, the level of the list of monsters you may choose from is increased by one.
For every 2 additional spell points spent, you may increase the number of creatures summoned by 1."

True Strike: As written, except add "Augment: +6 spell points, cast this spell as a swift action. This does not allow the bonus to affect multiple attacks rolls."

Needs to be addressed:
Alarm
Animate Rope:
Cause Fear:
Color Spray:
Comprehend Languages:
Detect Secret Doors:
Detect Undead:
Endure Elements
Erase:
Expeditious Retreat:
Feather Fall:
Hold Portal
Hypnotism:
Magic Aura:
Obscurring Mist
Ray of Enfeeblement:
Silent Image:
Unseen Servant
Ventriloquism:

Artificer Lists
Level 1
Armor Enhancement, Lesser: Add: "Augment: see table A1-1"
Code:
[B]Table A1-1[/B]
 Additional   Maximum        Maximum
Spell Points Equivalant   Market Price
   Spent       Bonus        Modifier
     1          +2         +16,000 gp
     2          +3         +36,000 gp
     3          +4         +64,000 gp
     4          +5        +100,000 gp

Energy Alteration: As written.

Enhancement Alteration: As written.

Inflict Light Damage: Rename Inflict Damage. "This deals 1d8+1 damage to the target object or construct. Augment: Every 2 additional spell points spent adds 1d8+1 damage dealt."

Repair Light Damage: Rename Repair Damage. "This repairs 1d8+1 damage to the target object or construct. Augment: Every 2 additional spell points spent reapirs an additional 1d8+1 damage."

Resistance Item: As written except bonus doesn't increase. augment: each +4 spell points increase bonus by 1.

Skill Enhancement: As written except bonus doesn't increase. augment: each +2 spell points increase bonus by 1.

Spell Storing Item: As written except stores up to 2nd level spells. If mishap occurs, deals 1d6 damage per spell level. Augment: every +4 increases spell level stored by 1.

Weapon Augmentation, Personal: Rename Weapon Augmentation; Add:
"Augment: +2 Spell Points, the enchanted Item can be used by anyone; Also add: "Augment: see table A1-2"
Code:
[B]Table A1-2[/B]
 Additional   Maximum        Maximum
Spell Points Equivalant   Market Price
   Spent       Bonus        Modifier
     2          +2         +32,000 gp
     4          +3         +72,000 gp
     6          +4        +128,000 gp
     8          +5        +200,000 gp

Light:
Magic Stone:
Shield of Faith:

For artificer Infusions that are 1 min cast times, I'm thinking of adding augment: +4 spell points, casting time is 1 round.

Cabral

First Post
Let's branch out and add some more spell classes

"Level 0"

Create Water
Cure Minor Wounds
Detect Poison
Dancing Lights
Ghost Sound
Inflict Minor Wounds
Know Direction
Light
Prestidigitation
Purify Food and Drink:
Virtue:

Level 1
Cure Light Wounds: Rename Cure Wounds. "This heals 1d8+1 damage to the target creature or deals 1d8+1 damage if the target is undead. Augment: Every 2 additional spell points spent increases healing/damage by 1d8+1."

Inflict Light Wounds: Rename Inflict Wounds. "This deals 1d8+1 damage to the target creature or heals 1d8+1 damage if the target is undead. Augment: Every 2 additional spell points spent increases healing/damage by 1d8+1."

Magic Fang: As Metaphysical Claw

Shillelagh: As Metaphysical Weapon except only affects wooden weapons that deal budgeoning damage. In addition, deals damage as if 2 sizes larger.

Summon Nature's Ally I Rename Summon Nature's Ally. As written, except add "augment: for every two additional power points, the level of the list of monsters you may choose from is increased by one. For every 2 additional spell points spent, you may increase the number of creatures summoned by 1."

Bless Weapon As written. Add Augment: "+2 Weapon gains a +1 enhancement bonus. Every +4 spell points increases the enhancement bonus by 1. +6 spell points, duration becomes 1 hour/level.

Restoration, Lesser: Eliminate fatigue or improved exhausted target to fatigued. Choose 1:
  • Cure 1d4 ability damage
  • Dispel any magical effects reducing one ability score.
Augment: +6 Cure all ability damage; +6 remove all negative levels; +6 restore one point of level drain; +6 Cure all points of ability drain from one score; +2 cure exhaustion; +10 Restore all levels drained; +10 Cures all ability damage and drain; +10 remove all forms of insanity, confusion, and similar mental effects. (yick, this is ugly. maybe I should keep it seperate spells)

Needs to be addressed:
Alarm
Animal Messenger
Animate Rope:
Bane
Bless
Bless Water
Calm Animals
Cause Fear:
Charm Animal
Color Spray:
Command
Comprehend Languages:
Confusion, Lesser
Curse Water (Merge with Bless water)
Delay Poison
Detect Animals or Plants
Detect Chaos/Evil/Good/Law
Detect Snares and Pits
Detect Undead
Detect Secret Doors:
Detect Undead:
Divine Favor
Doom
Endure Elements
Entangle
Entropic Shield
Erase:
Expeditious Retreat:
Faerie Fire
Feather Fall:
Goodberry
Guidance: (moved from level 0)
Hide from Animals
Hide from Undead
Hold Portal
Hypnotism:
Longstrider
Magic Aura:
Magic Stone
Obscure Object
Obscurring Mist
Pass without Trace
Produce Flame
Ray of Enfeeblement:
Remove Fear
Sanctuary
Shield of Faith
Silent Image:
Speak with Animals
Undetectable Alignment
Unseen Servant
Ventriloquism:

Artificer Lists
Level 1

Light:
Magic Stone:
Shield of Faith:

Last edited:

DC should scale with augmentation, or at least is does with a lot of the existing psionic powers.

Acid Splash same as before w/+1 dice +1 power point(pp)and mabe an are increase(+5ft +2 DC?)

Endure Elements: 1 new element for each two or four points

Expeditious Retreat: one round per pp(if duration is only one round like i think it is)

Protection from [Alignment] Change the bonuses to 2x the number of pp invested, or +1 per pp
Ray of Enfeeblement:1 extra dice per four pp or +1 per 2 pp

Ray of Frost (moved from 0th level)see burning hands

Sleep:+1 pp +2hd
Touch of Fatigue (Very nasty with vitalizing Spell Points option) not 0 or first or second or third level
True Strike:Lets you hold the strike for 1 round per 2 pp and/or use it for your next two attacks for +4 pp

Cabral

First Post
The Psionics Handbook does not always scale DC with augmentation.

Also, Sleep's augmentation is copied from Daze, Psionic. It and Sleep both of which affect 4HD without augmentation. Deep Slumber affects 10 HD and is level 3, or +4 spell points. The sleep above would affect 8 HD for the same spell points. I think it's worth it to combine the two spells into one and exchange some power for versatility.

Remove ads