D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]
Seeming to shrink back into the shadow of the drawing room as the light of the moon shifts outside, barely visible through the shuttered window, Van Djik weighs his words before replying to Katerina. "It's a fool's mission. Three treasures, three islands. I tried to find them, but to no avail, and when I could no longer push myself, the fever overpowering me, I tried to hire men. One by one they abandoned the venture - some fallen to L'Ollonais' traps, others swallowed by the sea, and others turned against me upon learning of the djab's curse." Nodding sullenly to Blaise, Van Djik says, "Your man has what you need, what Blackbeard sent you for."

Despite having made it through several glasses of jenever, the ancient dwarf appears barely phased by the strong drink, only able to offer the buxom Katerina a vague shrug as he uncorks the bottle and pours himself one last shot for the night, finishing the bottle. "Who can say why one man lives and another dies? My man Ghede says it's because I've a strong heart. Or maybe these charms I've paid for worked? Or maybe there was some shred of goodness left in me and God's angel's smiled upon me? Or maybe it's the drink? Devil knows, jonge dame, devil knows."[/SECTION]

Fenris

Adventurer
Zef was downing jeneve like it was water in a desert. Whether, it was a forgotten delicacy, or the company of another old dwarf, or just a chance to drink someone else's stash no one would ever know. The story of Van Djik was echoed on Zef's face, pain for pain, tear for tear. Drink for drink.

"Youze were caught between the devil and the deep blue sea gezagvoerder. Land mensen don't understand ships. If you had stayed, all would have perished. At least some were shaved."
says Zef starting to slur. he conjures up a shot glass the size of a coconut, it is imperfect though, the glass was wavy and miscolored. Light shimmers through it oddly, as if shadows themselves were trapped in it.

Zef pours an enormous portion of the jeneve into this strange glass. "That were the curse, no good choice. Death for all or death for some. Death comes fors us all." says Zef standing and raising the glass. As the old dwarf tips the glass back and swallows what seems like a never ending stream of jeneve, he begins to tilt his head back further and further until his whole body sways back and he crashes down onto the floor, snoring away.

OOC: So speaking of curses........
It seems we are under one here.
Con Saves: 1D20+4 = [2]+4 = 6
1D20+4 = [1]+4 = 5

Shayuri

First Post
Nia reaches down to cover Kat's glass with her hand.

"I tink dat is enough," she says quietly. "Don't make us carry bot' of you. You won't out-drink dis one."

Queenie

Queen of Everything
"No, I don't think I will, there is shomething odd about him. He'sh ..." Katerina quirked an eyebrow at the dwarf, staring him down critically. She must be drunk, she couldn't say her thought out loud, they would think her mad. "We should shpeak with his man. He knows shomething."

"Thanksssss for the most graciousss hospitality. More importantly than that, thanksss for that keys. We will defeat your djab and free the ships and free your soul from its torment. Then you can go to your final rewards in peace. Sooner than later, methinksh."

She was momentarily distracted by a snore, and when she looked to the source Zef was sleeping away at her feet.

She looked around to her comrades, then back to Zef before she burst out laughing. She pointed at the old dwarf and heartily laughed some more.

"HA ha he will never lives this down!!!!"

Sent from my iPad using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

Matthan

Explorer
Blaise took the offered handkerchief from Katerina without a word and wound it around his palm. He tucked the wooden key away and secured the makeshift bandage as his companions struggled with their liquor. Nia was wise to start moving the group out.

He clasped his hands together* and said, “Thank you again for your hospitality, sir. Forgive my friends their excesses. They seem to have a taste for juniper. I hope that you will allow us to call upon you again when we have news to offer.”

He bowed his head slightly to say farewell and motioned for Etienne to pick up the unconscious dwarf as he came alongside their captain and placed an arm around Katerina’s shoulders to prop her up. “Come along, captain,” he whispered, “A little rest and you’ll be good as new.”

[sblock=Actions]At the *, Blaise expends 1 HP of Lay on Hands to heal his hand (covered by the cloth)[/sblock]

OOC: Given the inebriated state of our companions, I say we find an inn and call it a night. The djab and Blackbeard will need to wait for tomorrow. It also might give us a chance to see if this bokor is on the island.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
For a moment Katerina froze up, staring at the uninvited arm wrapped around her. She looked from his arm to his face back to his arm.

Then she laughed. “Are you offering to put me to bed Blaise?” She laughed some more as she ran the back of her hand down his cheek. “At leasht buy me a drink first!”

She leaned into the pirate, something she was completely unused to. Having someone to lean on that wasn’t Zef. Someone actually taller than her. He also smelled infinitely more appealing. A smile played across her lips as she tried to put one foot in front of the other. "What in Davy Jonesh Locker was in that drink???"

She glanced back over her shoulder at the old dwarf as they moved out, Adiós Capitán!”

She looked up at Blaise as he guided her out. “Well that was quite odd and I'm not shure I've drunken enough to understand. I wonder if Nia could do shomething to help him move on? Or perhapsh just getting rid of the d-jab will do it.”

Shayuri

First Post
"He has put himself outside of anyting I ken do for him," Nia says, her face stoic and her voice flat. "He's not here for de djab. De djab is here for him."

Fenris

Adventurer
"Dee dee Jab?" comes a rough laugh from the floor "What is a dee dee jab?" Zef had awoken. Maybe.

Zef sits, up and stands and runs out of the shack.

In his head.

His body of course had other ideas. He closes one eye, then the other. Then he closes both eyes. He screams "I'm blind!" before opening his eyes again. Then laughs. He starts singing in a rough, but surprisingly lyrical voice

"Meisjes! luistert naar mijn lied,
Wijn, Bier en Jenever
Jenever, Jenever, Jenever
Meisjes, meisjes
,"
Zef trails off before beginning again in a louder voice. He sings the same, mostly song before starting again yet louder, as though raising the volume will help him remember the rest of the lyrics.

Zef watches with bleary eyes as Kat is helped up and out by Blaise. He grins, waves his hands and a low cart appears next to him. Zef rolls onto the cart and begins to push with his feet to make the cart roll. He rams against the door. Twice. But gets through on the third try. Zef manages with the luck that only blesses the drunks to navigate himself out of the house without injury. The doorways though did not survive so well.

The little cart gets to the steps and rolls down heavily breaking as it down and throwing Zef a short ways. He sits up grinning. Waves his hands and the broken cart disappears and a new one reappears. This one painted in orange with white flowers running in a garland about it.. Zef smiles at it and at Kat and manages to stand long enough to fall face first onto the cart. He raises a hand and gives a muffled shout "Voorwaarts!"

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Katerina was about to answer Nia when Zef came thumping out, breaking a cart into pieces at the bottom of the steps. She buried her face into Blaise's shoulder and tried to stop the laughter.

After a minute of laughter she faced Nia again, some laughs escaping her full lips here and there as she spoke.

"Well meirda Nia, that is jusht horrible for him. How'd he get dead anyways? I mean how ish he still here? If he's not alive? To die but not be dead sheems the worsht fate of all." Shivers ran across the girl as she contemplated such a destiny.

Sent from my iPad using EN World mobile app

Shayuri

First Post
"Death is not de end," Nia says simply, looking away with her eerie eyes. "De passage back must be paid for, however. A cost few have de will, or de means, to pay."

Remove ads