• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

Quickleaf

Legend
OOC: Happy birthday [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] :)

Ah, Invisible Castle is down, didn't realize that. Roll tags on ENWorld are easy: [ ROLL ] [ / ROLL ] omitting the spaces. So if you wanted to roll 1d20+1, that's what you'd enter between the tags. The only disadvantage is that you don't know how well you rolled before you post, since the result of the ROLL tag only appears once you post to the thread. So, I'll let you roll your own ;)

Caillou - History check: Caillou knows D'avard belongs to the crew of a pirate ship called No Quarter which is spoken of in hushed tones by even other pirates, having a reputation as only recruiting the most savage of crew. His keen avian eyes recognize the tattoo on the D'avard's shoulder as a sign of those who serve the No Quarter: a wolf biting an anchor chain.
[MENTION=6781406]Unsung[/MENTION] Ah, I wasn't clear from your background that you wanted Caillou's race to be a secret from most. My bad. We can ret-con D'avard referring to him as "The Man on the House of the Hill" or "The Tengu King" or whatever title [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] Nia Steeleyes and others in Nassau would refer to him as. While his true identity can be a mystery, he needs it be referred to as *something*. Whatever you agree that *something* should be, I'll have D'avard refer to him as that.

To give away some DM secrets to allay your concerns: These pirates are not slavers. Likewise, no one has betrayed Caillou's confidence. The pirates have their own agenda that none of the party are previously aware of, and it relates to du Tourbillon. They followed Nia Steeleyes to the tavern seeming to be just another group of rowdy pirates for a drink...I judged they weren't noticed because (a) Nia's Observant feat does nothing to improve passive Insight, only passive Perception and passive Investigation...useful for hidden creatures and secret doors, but not motives, and (b) because no one in the party engaged the drunken rowdy pirates in the tavern, so there was no chance to discover they had a hidden agenda.

Hmm, that's giving away probably too much already, so I'll stop there.

Unsung

First Post
OOC: I guess I just figured everything about Caillou would be a secret-- he's an Outlaw Slave on the run, after all.

Based on how it was described earlier on, I was figuring the house on the hill had a reputation for being haunted before Caillou got there, and that was the reason he picked it. If there's someone they've seen coming and going from the house, maybe they've seen Lorelei or Gunner Teague coming and going, or any of Nassau's other voodoo residents who've met with the King?

'King' seems a little grandiose for a 4th level character, and maybe out of sync with Caillou's whole anti-aristocracy stance...but hey, he probably didn't give the name to himself. I'm fine with collecting as many nicknames as possible. The Man in the House on the Hill is fine for Nassau. By far, his most frequently used aliases are Sir D'Arcy or Dr L'Arcand.

Hannerdyn

Explorer
"Ahh... and here I was thinking the hardest part of this was going to be repairs." Hugo stepped behind Gunner and slipped free his raiper. "What d'they have you for keeteel? Gambling debt? Missing Sunday Mass? Grave robbery?" he says, looking over the form of the strange bird-man with scrutinizing eyes.

OOC: [roll0] Knowledge local. What kind of crew does D'avard keep? What are their number and experiance in arms?

[roll1] Knowledge local. What would the Tengu King be wanted for by a man like D'avard? Is there a bounty?

Queenie

Queen of Everything
[SBLOCK=Katerina]For a moment, Katerina's hearing dims and she feels as if the wind itself was speaking to her. Then du Tourbillon's voice crisply speaks as if behind her. "Del Corazón, you and your officers are in danger. Their leader is more than he seems. Normal weapons will not serve you. Find me soon." His voice seems suddenly pulled away on the wind as the lantern flickers.
[/SBLOCK]
OOC: This is a sending spell thru which du Tourbillon is using his Portents divination ability, though Katerina might not realize what exactly is happening. Her reply, up to 25 words, will be heard by du Tourbillon. If she follows du Tourbillon's advice (or directs another to do so), she (or they) may replace one attack roll with a '15'.

[SBLOCK]
OOC: I'm not exactly sure how to follow his advice? Find him essentially means leave here?
[/SBLOCK]

Knowledge History (1d20+1=8)

Katerina looks around her, hastily checking over each shoulder for du Tourbillon. She is not sure how or what is happening but she also knows nothing about the man outside the door, so there must be a reason for their benefactor's involvement. "Friends, we need to get out of here, normal weapons won't affect that man. Calliou, is there another way out of here?"

Quickleaf

Legend
OOC: Hugo - Intelligence check: The Tengu King is a mystery. Until meeting him you'd just assumed he was a man, perhaps from Japan. All you know is what Nia Steeleyes has told you - that the Tengu King knows how to get rid of the dark spirit haunting The Coral Curse. Thus you might conjecture thaf whoever this D'avard is, he wants the Tengu King's exorcising ability for himself...or to simply stymie your efforts to acquire The Coral Curse.

Caillou: It is totally up to you if you have some secret escape route from the house on the hill.

[SBLOCK=Queenie]So, this is a bit meta-game, but there are no creatures in the Monster Manual with "immunity to weapons" (and I'm not mean enough to make one up...at least not yet!). However, there are quite a few monsters with "resistance (take half damage) to bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing damage." So a sword or a pistol (piercing damage) would be much less effective. However, a spell like Old Zef's fire bolt or Hugo's vicious mockery would deal normal damage. Hope that clears it up.[/SBLOCK]

Unsung

First Post
To Hugo, the keeteel merely spreads his clawed hands, and shrugs expressively, as if to say, all this and more.

To Katarina he graciously steps back and dips his head. "Ah, but of course, mesdamoisellles This way."

Caillou turns to the kobold, and gives the latter a pointed look.

Verner takes his lead. "Eh, yes. Old smugglers' tunnels in the cellar. Rum runners, I think." The Scandian kobold's slow, deep voice contrasts bizarrely with his tiny frame. He hurries to the end of the hall, pulling open the door-- gently, to keep it from creaking and giving the game away to the ambushers outside.

Caillou steps to the front window, peering out at the small siege down the hill, looking for any sign of familiarity or weakness in his would-be captors.

OOC: So Caillou intends to bring up the rear, possibly slowing down pursuit with some fearful magical display. His stealth and mimicry make him a good candidate for throwing D'avard off the trail while the others stage a hurried retreat. Anybody with any ideas on how to pitch in, I'm all ears.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
[SBLOCK=Quickleaf]
So, this is a bit meta-game, but there are no creatures in the Monster Manual with "immunity to weapons" (and I'm not mean enough to make one up...at least not yet!). However, there are quite a few monsters with "resistance (take half damage) to bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing damage." So a sword or a pistol (piercing damage) would be much less effective. However, a spell like Old Zef's fire bolt or Hugo's vicious mockery would deal normal damage. Hope that clears it up.

Okay, I am definitely aware that sometimes you need to have magical or other types of special damaging weapons for some creatures. And I'm not trying to get OOG info from you, I'm just confused. You said:

This is a sending spell thru which du Tourbillon is using his Portents divination ability, though Katerina might not realize what exactly is happening. Her reply, up to 25 words, will be heard by du Tourbillon. If she follows du Tourbillon's advice (or directs another to do so), she (or they) may replace one attack roll with a '15'.

I don't understand what the advice was. Probably because I'm mushed brained from the holiday craziness. The advice is just to find him? If we leave to try to find him someone gets an attack roll of 15? That's the part I don't understand. I did mess up I think and say stuff so that probably loses getting words back to him. I think she would have asked him where he was! Duh. lol [/SBLOCK]

Quickleaf

Legend
[SBLOCK=Queenie]
I don't understand what the advice was. Probably because I'm mushed brained from the holiday craziness. The advice is just to find him? If we leave to try to find him someone gets an attack roll of 15? That's the part I don't understand. I did mess up I think and say stuff so that probably loses getting words back to him. I think she would have asked him where he was! Duh. lol
Haha, yes your brain has been mush-ified by the holidays it seems! No worries there's a cure for that...no not New Years hangover :D

The advice (and the attack roll of 15 substitution) pertains to D'avard's resistance to normal weapons. So, for example, saying "This man wont succum to normal weapons! Old Zef, shoot him with a fire bolt!" (or something more flowery) would grant Old Zef a 15 on his attack roll with that spell.

And yes, you lost getting words back to du Tourbillon...hmm, or perhaps he heard Katerina speaking to her friends? I'll need to re-read the sending spell... However, upon parting at the tavern he stated he was staying at the Colonial Hotel which is in Nassau's old fort. I tend to put lots of detail in my games to make them come alive, but the hazard is players forgetting stuff! Doubly so in PbP medium! And the holidays to boot! No worries, I'm sure in a couple months you'll have forgotten TONS of game details :) [/SBLOCK]

Queenie

Queen of Everything
"Hold on, we won't run just yet. I wanted to figure out our assets."

Katerina continues to look towards the front door and windows while she speaks to Calliou. "Do you know this man? Do you know the reason he wants you?"

She pauses a long moment, her face giving away that she is calculating scenarios in her mind. She steps to the door and yells out, "What do you want with the bird, as you call him? We have no guarantee you know anything at all about our mission nor about what information we have or don't have."

Last edited:

Unsung

First Post
The bird, pressed into the wall between the window and the door, eyes the captain and shrugs. "We all have enemies," he says, in a surprisingly deep voice, hoarse and heavily tinted by a French accent. "None of whom should have known I'm here," he adds.

Remove ads