• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Barrington witnesses the standoff, and makes his move. Traveling through the jungle is difficult, but he thinks they are oblivious to him, and so he wants to stay quiet if he can.

He moves through the jungle* and attempts to get the drop on the pirate assistant first. (The rifleman's gun is in the nook of a tree, and he's more distracted.) When he gets there, he attacks with his rapier, hoping to knock him out.**

With his other hand, he points his pistol at the head of the marksman, and whispers, "Drop it, now". If that gets instant compliance, he does not fire. But if the man hesitates or makes a hostile action, Barrington is willing to lose the comparative silence and fire.***

He doesn't want to kill these men, but ideally he can spoil their ambush without alerting the proud D'Avard.

[sblock=OOC]
* I'm assuming that it will take a double move to make it the 20' and that he won't be able to attack with his sword in the first round. If that's not the case, then, yay, another attack with the sword:
[roll0]
for [roll1] damage if successful.

** start of round 2? knocking out as per PHB p. 198
[roll2]
for [roll3] damage if successful.

If that's a hit, and the pirate's still standing, he'll add a superiority die [roll4] to the damage, requiring a wis save vs. DC 13 to frighten him until the end of my next turn. (quieter than the alternatives?).

*** Bonus from feat:
[roll5]
[for [roll6] damage.

If that's a hit, and the rifleman's still standing, he'll add a superiority die [roll7] to the damage, requiring a str save vs. DC 13 to disarm him. If he does, Barrington will kick the rifle into the jungle, or similarly remove it from play, even if it means picking it up with his pistol hand.

Observation: playing a fighter, at least online, is much more finicky than before; maybe the champion is easier than the battle master, but there's a lot of knobs to turn here (and it's harder when IC is down and I don't know the outcome of the rolls before I write what will happen!)[/sblock]

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
[sblock=yeesh]Case in point:
* So if he can attack in the first round, that'll be a hit on the assistant for 6.
* The second round attack will miss I assume, so no fear save req'd
* If the rifleman drops the rifle, then Yay. Otherwise, there's a big loud shot (or maybe a misfire on the natural 1? That at least would be quiet...)
[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
Nia shook her head. "If he followed us, that could be how he found you...but I am not sure why he would think I'd lead you to him. I have not been overly open with our association. Perhaps he took the trouble to find my messengers and pry it from them...but that does not explain why he would believe that effort to be worth his time."

She fixes her gaze grimly out the window between the slats of the shutters.

"We will have to ask him. I am very curious to know."

Queenie

Queen of Everything
"He's not being very talkative," Katerina responds, while pulling out her pistol and readying it. "To elaborate further, our benefactor believes he is dangerous enough to send a message, he said that 'Their leader, D'Avard, is not what he seems' and that 'Normal weapons will not serve you.' Even though we have no proof I am going to believe him since he bothered to send a magical message. We should all of us be prepared. Old Zef knows a few tricks that could help us, and I believe Hugo does as well. Anyone with magical means should be on extra alert."

Unsung

First Post
OOC: How's everyone doing? Hope there's no trouble in paradise for our Aloha DM.

EDIT: Wrong thread, but I guess given the circumstances I'll let it stand rather than post again.

Shayuri

First Post
"Why would your patron know so much about this man?" Nia asks flatly, her eyes narrowing a little. "If D'avard is after Caillou, and has no interest in our expedition? Your financier has never met me, nor Caillou, and has no idea we're involved. I see no connection between D'Avard and this benefactor...but if what he says is true, it is a rather intimate detail to be aware of."

Queenie

Queen of Everything
"Why would your patron know so much about this man?" Nia asks flatly, her eyes narrowing a little. "If D'avard is after Caillou, and has no interest in our expedition? Your financier has never met me, nor Caillou, and has no idea we're involved. I see no connection between D'Avard and this benefactor...but if what he says is true, it is a rather intimate detail to be aware of."

"Well, just because you don't think anyone knows you are involved does not make it so, si? You were there tonight when our patron was there, he could have possibly had eyes on you at any point. I believe he has done much research on all of us, and most likely anyone else with any reason to be searching for what we are searching for. Just as you and your ally have information on us," Katerina waves a hand towards her group, "Apparently he has information on this D'avard. And has many tricks up his own sleeve with how he has sent this message of his. At this point I would not put anything past anyone. La mierda, what else is going to go on this night!?! We can get to the bottom of this but right now, let us focus on the men outside with the guns, si?" Kat gives her a reassuring smile before looking back out of the window near the door.

Shayuri

First Post
"De men outside wit' guns are just weapons," Nia replied as she regarded the window stonily. "It is de hand dat holds dem which is the true danger."

She sighs and dusts her hands off.

"But I suppose we cannot ignore de weapons eidder. So be it. Caillou is dere anudder way out of dis house?"

Unsung

First Post
Caillou bowed deeply, gravely, and inclined his hooded head toward the kobold Verner, and the cellar steps which gave out to the old smuggler's tunnels below.

The kobold gritted his sharp teeth and toyed with the pistol in his hands. "Come on now. That D'avard fellow surely isn't getting any more patient," he said.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
OOC: Unsung, I'm not ignoring you, I just think we should wait for [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION] to return. Yes?

Remove ads