D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

peterka99

First Post
Etienne examined for the third time the poor content of his purse. He spent his last silver coin to get enough fur to fill his boat. He arrived earlier today from the North. Nassau is a nice port. Maybe too hot for his own sake. Especially if the custom agents catch him. Well, smugglers may get a warmer welcome here than in La Havana or in Quebec....

A lot of people to find. A frenchman called Du Tourbillon, as a in-between with natives. A dwarf having information about a fabulous treasure. Dozens of customers to sell his fine fur to. To get rid of this weird Indian magical pelt.

Etienne spotted he black-dressed man making his way down the stairs. He stealthily got closer. He heard enough to confirm he can cross out the first name on his agenda. Good to write down, as his memory faded away with the years.

He mustered all his charm and wits and walked to the pergola.

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
The monster bound fast in the cellar safehouse beneath the laundress’ stirs with a pained groaned. Caillou, his retainers Lorelei and Teague, and Old Zef (if he is down in the cellar and not upstairs smoking) watch as D’avard stirs, eyes fluttering open with a low growl.

Caillou pockets an old clamshell that is sealed tight and is curiously resistant to cracking. It would seem this Blackbeard accumulated many such trinkets in his years of pirating, making him something as a magpie even though human.

Straining against his binds, D'avard finds the surreptitiously wound thick cords of hemp, further strengthen thru magical cantrip, to be quite tight. Currently, he is still in human form. "Rrrr...Should have tied me to an anchor and cast me in the sea..." The dim light of the candles causes shadows to shift across the man's face as if the seawolf lurking within is just waiting for the strength to come out.

Old Zef sits in the corner and smirks at the Seawolf. "Oh yes, just what would that accomplish schurk? I think maybe we remove yer tattoo. Eh? Moeilijke en pijnlijke? Maybe it cures you, maybe it just makes us feel better. Maybe it encourages you to tell us why you were after us? Levend gevild? I always wanted me a wolf skin fur coat." says Zef as he sharpens a knife.

Quickleaf

Legend
Old Zef sits in the corner and smirks at the Seawolf. "Oh yes, just what would that accomplish schurk? I think maybe we remove yer tattoo. Eh? Moeilijke en pijnlijke? Maybe it cures you, maybe it just makes us feel better. Maybe it encourages you to tell us why you were after us? Levend gevild? I always wanted me a wolf skin fur coat." says Zef as he sharpens a knife.

Snorting at the stout old dwarf, D'avard growls from the shadows of the post he is bound to, "At least on the bottom of the deep blue, I wouldn't have to listen to your friends blathering, dicksuckinflog*." His words suggest that D'avard regained consciousness earlier than he lets on, at least to some degree. Spitting out a bit of blood and a tooth, D'avard chuckles hoarsely, "If you plan on torture, you're going to need a bigger knife. Might even convince me to tell you about that Spaniard who came to me for your head, dwarf..."

OOC: *dicksuckinflog is a racial slur for Dutch prostitutes accused of witchcraft dating back to the 16th century.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Katerina shrugs her monkey off her shoulder to go have a little fun while she conducts her business.

"Buenos días señors," she say pleasantly with a nod towards both Badouin and Tourbillon. "Si, a nice café would be wonderful." She gives a little wave towards Nia. "This is Nia Steeleyes and I believe she will hold a most valuable role on this expedition. She wanted to come and meet you, and of course, I wanted to respond to your summons quickly. I cannot be gone from my crew too long, we have that dog captive and intend on questioning him." She pauses to accept her coffee and take a sip but really she is deliberately making the man wait. "He did mention something about Captain Wallace having information about this voyage I might want to know that you have not shared with me." She takes another sip, her exotic eyes not leaving their benefactor as she does. "Hmm, well, yes, I was a little surprised at receiving your message in such a manner. I believe you've forgotten to mention quite a few things to me."

Shayuri

First Post
Nia nods in greeting, her face and her strange witch's eyes unreadable.

"Enchante'" she says with what might be irony. Her gaze lingers a little on Baduin though. The man behind the man in charge is, in her experience, often the one that needed to be watched the most.

Quickleaf

Legend
Colonial Hotel

du Tourbillon graciously pours coffee for Katerina and Nia, letting them use cream or sugar as they desire. He appears to be a man who enjoys standing on ceremony, and smiles discretely when Katerina plays the waiting game. What others call pomp and circumstance, du Tourbillon considers good etiquette. "But of course, madame Corazon. Though I believe to have a good working relationship it is not necessary to air all the sordid details of one another's lives. Would you agree?" He inquires genteelly but decisively, avoiding Katerina's inquiry into his magical abilities. "As you are aware, my aim in seeking Le Gloriosa is both professional and personal - to find my missing son-by-adoption Emanuel Wynn. In this endeavor there is a certain ship which has vexed me over the years - The Seawolf."

He pauses for a moment to look down and sigh, sipping his coffee. The Seawolf is a legend of the high seas, a real ship yes, but the only tales of it come from the few survivors of ships utterly obliterated by it. Mad sailors' tales tell of a crew of devil sea dogs more wolf than man drifting from port to port to sell their bloody booty and indulge in drunken orgies before returning to sea...with lads press-ganged ne'er to be seen again.

du Tourbillon continues, "I don't know who the captain is or why he seeks Le Gloriosa, but he seems to derive a twisted pleasure in sabotaging my efforts. When he was not able to steal my research, he would content himself with wantonly destroying it. Were it not for him and The Seawolf I may have discovered the lead to Chedreu* a year ago. Cés la vie."

"As for Captain Wallace, yes, I heard he was organizing a rival expedition, but I had no idea he was so close to leaving berth. Apparently, he has an actual lead on the treasure ship. Badouin tells me Captain Wallace will be ready to sail in a day and also that your man Barrington was spotted speaking with his quartermaster. A word of warning: This privateer Wallace has a reputation as a tyrant and backstabber. I wouldn't put anything past the man. Then again, that goes for half this port I suppose."

Clearing his throat, du Tourbillon glances at Nia, a bit unnerved at her steady stormy gaze at him. "Ahem, which brings me to the reason I wished to speak with you. My man Badouin has compiled an itemized list of the expected expenses to outfit a 50-man crew for a one-month voyage...1,500 louis d'or (gp) yes?" He inquires of the accountant Badouin who nods, and hands the list to Katerina for her review. "More importantly, how is your search for a ship going?"

[SBLOCK=Badouin's List of estimated expenses (total 1,500 gp)]
Food & Drink - total 302 gp
Month’s provisions for sixty men (3 tons) (water, bouillon, oatmeal, flour, salted meat, hardtack, peas, beans, salt, etc) 150 gp
4 barrels of rum 120 gp
Barrel of assorted fruit (oranges, limes, pineapples, sopadillas, sour-sops) 15 gp
Chef’s cooking spices & culinary tools 12 gp
2 goats, some chickens, and a pig 5 gp
Month’s feed for two livestock 3 gp
Naval Supplies - total 296 gp
Ship’s bell 60 gp
Bilge pump 50 gp
Five lanterns (four hooded, one beacon) 30 gp
Spare main sail and spars 25 gp
Hourglass 25 gp
Bunk cots and linens for sixty men 25 gp
Chest, lock, and key 15 gp
Lamp oil, pipe (105 gallons) 12 gp
Ship’s logbook, oversized waterproofed vellum 10 gp
Ink bottle (1 ounce) and pen, 10 gp
Scuttlebutt, 4 empty barrels, buckets and mops 10 gp
5 block and tackle 5 gp
Cordage, sounding lines, three lengths of 50-ft hempen rope 5 gp
Two sculling oars 4 gp
Captain’s chart table 4 gp
Two fishing nets and ocean fishing tackle 3 gp
20 square yards of patching canvas 2 gp
Signal flags 1 gp
Melee Weapons - total 365 gp
50 handaxes 250 gp
20 boarding pikes 100 gp
25 marlinspikes (daggers) 15 gp
Firearms - total 275 gp
25 pistols 250 gp
600 bullets and powder 25 gp
Auxiliry Craft - total 157 gp
One ship’s boat (1 ton) 150 gp
4 oars and a hand pump 7 gp
Cannon Supplies - total 105 gp
400 shot and powder (4 tons) for culverins 80 gp
200 shot and powder (1 ton) for demi-culverins 20 gp
Cannon cleaning tools 5 gp[/SBLOCK]

More so than in other parts of Nassau, there are several fineries the hotel can afford that catch Nia's witching eyes: fine silk drapes, dwarves speaking in Dutch trading necklaces and gems, several ornate vases from the outer islands of the Caribbean that would earn a pretty penny from a collector, and not to mention the Continental fur trader eyeing them - his wares seem most exotic of all.

OOC: *For the reference to "Chedreu" see the very first post of this thread.

[SBLOCK=Nia (observant feat)]Nia notices that several of du Tourbillon's accoutrements like his handkerchief, pocket watch, cane, and scarf, are inlaid or woven with subtle spell components. Most likely the arcane sort. Moreover, as one who has been touched by a great storm, Nia recognizes a kindred spirit in du Tourbillon: this man has gazed into the heart of the destructive sea.[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

peterka99

First Post
Etienne humbly bow and silently signaled his desire to join the fine company. He subtly rearrange his samples to catch the eyes of everyone. Especially the fair ladies.

OOC:
OOC: I cast an enhanced ability spell (Eagle’s Splendor, Charisma) earlier to be at my prime.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
The Docks (Barrington)

Discretely asking around among the porters and deckhands, Barrington notices a group of lads scampering about with a frilly white lady's shawl they seem to have 'acquired.' The tallest of the lot, a beanpole thin lad with an overabundance of freckles, nods down the beach, "Aye, Komodo Roy they's call 'im. A regular bastard, and sure's my name is Jack Ponder he'll 'ave what you need, guvner. He's got everythin' anyone ever needs. But 'e won't talk to the likes of you. You'll need someone who knows 'im well, someone like Kid."

Distracted from their recent acquisition, the boys bob their heads in agreement. One of them, a short flaxen-haired lad inquires in a plaintive tone, "Surely that's worth something' to you, guvner? A shilling mayhap or some ale--?"

The taller boy cuffs the younger over the head, "What, you think 'e's an idiot? A dozen folks could tell 'im where to find Kid. No, sir, we'll earn an honest wage. Just keep the lot o' us in mind for your next voyage? We're able deckhands and swabs, an' what we don't know we can learn. Kid...you'll find 'im in his cups down on that ol' beached ship they call Th' Coral Curse, scavenging methinks. Best catch 'im afore the sun gets too high cause then he'll move on."

OOC: Ok [MENTION=11146]CanadienneBacon[/MENTION], that should set things up for Kid's introduction!

Last edited:

Remove ads