D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

Quickleaf

Legend
The Safehouse

Zef pulls up a chair and faces Da'vard though from a distance. "Ok, first answer me how you contracted lycanthropy. Then what can you tell us to buy yourself a merciful death. Or perhaps you have enough information to get dropped off on Hispaniola?"

D'avard eyes Old Zef and Caillou with wary predatory eyes glistening with malice in the shadows of the candlelight basement. The faint smell of soap suds from the laundry upstairs wafts thru the air. "Ah, that's the fancy term landsmen use, isn't it? Lycanthropy," he growls the word, sounding it out. "I didn't contract nothing. It was a gift bestowed by Cap'n for my many years of service to his ship and crew. He said no man would be able to bring us down after we received the gift...guess it's true since it took a dwarf and a bird-freak." Laughing bitterly, D'avard stops his struggling against the ropes, realizing he is well and truly bound.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Etienne relaxes quite a lot and returns to a merchant mood: "The magic is less in fur than in the fair one who wears it."
And more seriously: "I"m afraid my purse is too flat to buy such wares now. Magic items cost a lot. I have imported some for senor Zef. I heard he needs it to remove a curse."

Turning to Du Tourbillon: " I"m flattered you know me, Monsieur. I long to do business with you and your associates in a near future. I'm surprised you know me as a storyteller. I would rather say a chronicler. I'm traveling a lot since the end of King William's War to gather good stories and scoops. I specialize in supernatural events and treasure hunting."

OOC: Since the game started a few days ago, I guess Zef tries to acquire the Coral Curse for a long time...

OOC: OOC: I'm confused about the item for the Coral Curse. We've only just decided we were looking for it... ?

"Sounds like you live an exciting life, Senor. Who hires you to chronicle their stories?"

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Barrington walks tall as he is taken into the Aladdin's cave of Komodo Roy. There's a lot to see here, and he is conscious that he has not been entirely honest, even with himself, as to why he is here. He makes no sudden moves -- that much of the instructions had been clear -- and he is interested t the gentle back-and-forth between Kid and Roy. His answers are terse, but friendly when he gives them, but he is not at the moment committing himself to any cause but his own.

As they descend, Barrington stops at the limes, and reaches out for the thin netting that is serving as a bag. A gentle squeeze of one tells him what he needs to know about their freshness, better than anything else he has seen recently.

All the inventory here is dazzling to Barrington, and he realizes the turnover of merchandise must be quick. He stops again at the giant lizards. "Dragons," he says under his breath, not sure if it is a question, or one he wants answered.* He considers reaching to his pistol, more as a gesture for comfort, but declines.

Then they come to the guns. Barrington squats down at one of the four cannons, reminded of the Kid's own observations earlier. "I know where these have come from," he says, his hand running over the outside surface in a gentle caress. This, too, is not a question, and the cock of the side of his mouth makes it clear (he trusts) that it's not an accusation either. He makes a quick inspection of all four, noting whether there are indications they have been dry-fired, and respecting the local superstition (for such is how he sees it) never to walk in front of the barrel of any of them. He makes eye contact with Komodo Roy as he reaches for his knife, and takes it out of its scabbard. "Let me check something," he says, and he turns to the back of one of them. He works the knife along the edge of the breech of one of them, and then wipes the film off the blade with his fingers. "Hmm," he says with a hint of disappointment. Then to Kid, as if they had suspected this all along, "The same for the vents, too, I imagine."

Barrington is taking his time, and it's not just for show. If there are faults he wants to see them. He puts the knife away, and then proceeds to the swivel gun, and begins the inspection again. He makes a sucking noise with his tongue against his top teeth. When he's finished, and made an estimation of their value, he stands and walks away. "You have prices in mind," he states. "And I can see why you'd want to move them."

*OOC: I'm thinking that awesome Jonny Quest episode. I hope you all are too.

Quickleaf

Legend
Roy keeps a close eye on Barrington as he shows them the cannons. Casting a sidelong glance at Kid, he sucks his cheek in slight annoyance. "That depends, Kid, depends on if James Barrington 'ere comes to an agreement." He tenses for a moment when Barrington draws his knife but relaxes when he realizes the man is just checking for residue build-up. "Aye, salvaged they were. I see you know your cannons. For the four demi-culverins 400 pounds (gp). They may not be in the best of shape, but they'll fire true, and this being Nassau you're not likely to find cannons a plenty. The swivel gun I should ask more than selling price, but if you buy the demi-culverins then I'll add the swivel for 50 pounds (gp)." Roy answers readily.

OOC: Hmm [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] I think [MENTION=2880]Peterka[/MENTION] was just taking artistic license with something he and I worked out and unintentionally his artistic license conflicted with what we had already established in the game. Probably the best way to reconcile this is for [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] to recognize a magical white buffalo skin (or something along those lines) withanti-disease magical properties...something Nia recognizes will be useful when facing Yellow Jack, the djab of yellow fever.

Whether Etienne and [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] Old Zef have past dealings I'll leave up to you guys to sort out.

OOC: Oh man, Johnny Quest? That's old school. I can't recall the episode you're talking about [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION], but then again I might be confusing it with Shazann.

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"I couldn't possibly, at that price." Barrington's response is quick and impulsive. He pauses, and sucks some air in between his teeth as if thinking. He counters, "I can give you three hundred and twenty for all five."

OOC: A few questions:
* how much would each of these cannon weigh (and the swivel gun)?
* does Barrington have any sense if these are reasonable prices?
* are there any obvious faults in these things? one that is weaker than the rest?

[sblock=ooc and off-topic]The Jonny Quest episode is call Dragons of Ashida, and it gives the clip at 0:42-0:45 in the opening titles; the villain with a pair of Komodo Dragons was the embodiment of evil for my childhood imagination, before Darth Vader.[/sblock]

Quickleaf

Legend
Smuggler's Cove

"325? Davey Jones' shriveled balls, that barely covers my overhead. Tell you what, James Barrington. You put in a good word with your cap'n that Komodo Roy is the one you should do business with on Nassau, and I'll let you have the four 9-pounders and swivel for 400 crowns (gp). But that's my lowest offer." Roy sucks tobacco juice thru his teeth and crosses his arms with the practiced standoffishness worthy of a Parisian merchant.

"Course, that's not including shot and powder..." Roy adds with a knowing smile. "Say, 200 shot and powder for the nine-pounders would be 25 crowns. Swivel can shoot just about anything, but if you want, say, 100 shot and powder for her that would be another 12 crowns."

OOC: Hmm, the demi-culverins weigh probably ~2,500 pounds each while the swivel gun is much lighter probably ~225 pounds. Those are estimates based on historic figures from the Age of Sail.

Shot and powder weight for 9-pounders is about 1 ton per 200 shot and corresponding powder.

Normal prices would be 100 gp for a demi-culverin and 50 gp for a swivel gun, exactly the prices Komodo Roy is asking. His asking price for the shot and powder is slightly higher than normal, but quality ammunition is a hot commodity on Nassau for obvious reasons.

The only obvious fault is that the demi-culverins haven't been well-maintained and show signs of surface pitting on the external barrel stock due to salt corrosion. It's mainly cosmetic, but something that will require attention from someone skilled in smith's tools to fix up to prevent from becoming a long-term (read 20+ year) problem.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Her moment with Tourbillon over...they seemed to have taken one another's measure, and seen something unexpected...Nia drifted to Kat's side, intending to prod the new captain back to business.

But the merchant she was talking to DID have some very fine things. And they could surely spare a few minutes. The idea of having a cabin to decorate got the wheels in Nia's head spinning a little...she so rarely owned more than she could carry. But something to hang on the wall would be nice...something that spoke of power; benelovent but with the underlying hint of menace. A pelt perhaps? Appropriate for a hunter.

There was a tingle in her fingertips as she examined a handsome white one, and her brows knitted slightly as Nia refocused from her half-fantasy back to full awareness of what was in her hands.

"Excuse me," she said, brusquely interjecting herself into the conversation between the merchant and Katerina. "What can you tell me of this?"

peterka99

First Post
"This is a ware of power. A mysterious Shaman from the Illinois tribe told me it protects against dark spirits. He insists giving it as a token of gratitute since I spared his son humiliation in a wrestling duel, giving him might and skill and allowing him to win. Forgive me, is it something of importance for you ?"

Shayuri

First Post
Nia had many strengths, but bargaining was not one of them. She couldn't conceal the eager gleam in her eyes, or the covetous tremble in her hands. Talk of magic was common enough for merchants of suspicious wares, but this was different; she could feel the potency woven into this hide. Much had been sacrificed for it; blood spilled to fuel the magic and make it sacred. It was faintly offensive to her that such a thing might be bartered for like some common farming implement...but the sacrifice of gold and silver in any amount was a trivial thing compared to the real value of the object.

Even so, she made a game attempt to seem nonchalant about her desire for the thing.

"Hm, a likely tale," Nia chided. "But it is a handsome thing. I could decorate my cabin with it."

Her silver eyes lifted to meet his.

"What price are you asking?"

Last edited:

Remove ads