D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

[section] "S'ok. Granted." Kid mock saluted. Badly. From his prone position. He peered in Barrington's direction. The sun beat down, occluding Barrington from full view, however.

Kid tried to roll over, grunted with the effort, and gave up. He tried a different tactic. "Four louis d'ors. Eight if you want me to swallow." He squinted at Barrington's breeches, waited for the patsy to barter. "Throw in a bott'l an' you get tail, too." [/section]

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"That's very kind of you, but thank you, no. My name's Barrington. I was told that you might be able to help me find Komodo Roy. I'm in search of some cannon, and you came recommended"

Barrington says this with a straight face, and without a note of irony. He is a professional and is used to lying.

[section]Kid stopped squinting. He did not sit up, but his body stilled. "No tail, then." One corner of his mouth curled down. It was unclear whether the disappointment was born of Barrington's declination of his services or the loss of a new bottle of grog.

Kid eyed Barrington with new appreciation. "All business, are ye, cap'n?" The boy's features were unremarkable. He wore torn linen breeches, stolen probably, and no tunic. The brown expanse of the lad's chest was kissed by the sun but unyet blemished by scars. He was unshod, and Barrington could make out black grime packed in Kid's nails.

The youth sat up. Dark brown eyes appraised Barrington's rapier. Kid blinked twice, then scrubbed at his hair. Using the mast, Kid hauled himself up to standing. He kept a wary distance from Barrington's reach. "Make it worth me time, cap'n, an' mayhap I'll see fit ter make an' innerduction." If the boy's intonation revealed anything, it was a distinct lack of formal education.[/section]

OOC: Kid is a treasure junkie. What does Barrington have on his person that is shiny that is visible or could be readily guessed at? Kid is highly likely to five-finger discount shiny objects. If he rips you off and you call him on it, however, he'll return whatever he took. I'm not looking to steal permanently from party members.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Etienne remarked the senora wariness. In a pirate den, it should be normal... This Zef may be a bandit or owe her money...

"I don't have any grudge with him, nor he is a friend. Just another client. I'm just delivering him a mystic item from the dark continental forest. A djab issue. Is he a friend or a foe of yours ?

Katerina continues to be wary of the man. "He's a relative," she deadpans. Her little monkey has picked up on the tone in her voice, and she jumps from out of sight onto the man's shoulder, searching him over.

She looks over the man while speaking to du Tourbillon. "Do you know him?"

Quickleaf

Legend
du Tourbillon sets his coffee cup down, idly glancing at Etienne's wares. "Only by reputation, madame moiselle. An honest merchant, a gifted storyteller, and a friend of the Indians. That's what they say among French trading companies. I've heard rumors that some of his furs are magical, though the duchess I entertained could hardly be considered a reliable source."

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Katerina visibly relaxes at her benefactor's words, though there is still some hint of distrust in her eyes. "Very well, Senor du Tourbillon has heard of you. Yes, I know Zef, and can take you to him when we are finished here. Bueno, Si?" She runs a hand over one of his fine furs. "DO you have magical wares Senor?"

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Barrington watches Kid pull himself into an upright and then standing position. Within the encasement of the hollow ship, the midday heat is beginning, and he removes his fashionable leather hat (hadn't he left it at Polly's? no matter; he had it now) and uses it to fan himself for a moment's breeze. He replaces his hat and checks the time, removing the gold pocket watch from his waistcoat pocket, the slim chain attached to the second button from the bottom.

"Indeed, it will be worth your while, whether I come to terms with Mister Roy or not. But it will be more profitable for us both if we achieve what I am seeking, which is some cannon." He fishes into his pocket, and pulls out a gold piece. He inspects it for a moment, and then somewhat unfairly flips it through the air at the Kid, uncertain if he'll be able to catch it and remain upright at the same time.

"There. A retainer for the day, with the possibility of both a commission for success and an extension of contract if we find it mutually agreeable." He smiles. "I think this might yet prove an interesting day."

[section]Kid's eyes slid over the gold chain affixed to the second button from the bottom of Barrington's waistcoat. The pocket watch, when Barrington extracted it, glittered merrily in the morning sun. Kid shuddered.

A brown hand shot up and neatly captured Barrington's gold piece on its downward arc. Kid flipped the coin over the knuckles of his right hand, testing the coin's weight. He wanted to bite it, but his teeth hurt from chewing too much cane. "Careful, cap'n. Don't venture 'neath the orlop. Sumthin's down there." Kid jerked his head, gesturing belowdecks. "Cannons, eh? How many? You don't look like no Navy man, why you need 'em?"

Kid sidled around the mast, and bent down to pick up a tatty pack and a scimitar. He groaned when he bent over. The boy grimaced, straightened, and shook his head. He felt like vomiting, but there was nothing to come up but swill and bile, and he didn't want to burn his throat. The grog burned badly enough the first time down.

Kid looped the metal handgrip of his scimitar through a length of rope, which he tied to the waist of his breeches. His worldly goods retrieved, Kid looked up expectantly at Barrington. "What c'mission you offerin', cap'n?"[/section]

OOC: What can Kid roll, if anything, to know about Komodo Roy, and how to gain both admittance to Roy's warehouse and a favorable price for the cannons?

Quickleaf

Legend
OOC: Kid knows this basic info about Komodo Roy:

A hardened smuggler who according to legend *did* sell his grandmother's own gold teeth. That was back when he was making a name for himself. Roy operates out of a warehouse overlooking a cavern port on the east end of Nassau - creatively named Smuggler's Cove. They say he has dragons at his command, but to Kid they just look like giant lizards with chain collars.

Kid is free to come and go from the warehouse, albeit with supervision cause Roy knows about his five-fingered tendencies. Getting Barrington in with him will take some conniving or creative problem solving.

You can make a DC 15 Intelligence check (with your proficiency bonus) to recall a "sweetener" you could add to the deal to get a favorable outcome. However, fail by 5+ (that is achieve a DC 10 or less) and you owe Roy a debt...

Remove ads