• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell Jammer stuff.

BlackJaw

First Post
Ok, I seperated spelljammer ideas out into diffrent power soruces for a vehicle:
-------------------------------------
Arcane Jammer (00000gp)
Size: 3+
Power: +6 magic
Fantasy 4
This strange device drains power from a spellcaster to fuel the vehicles systems. Most settings require that this spellcaster also be the pilot, although this isn’t always true.
For every level of spell burned by the caster, the vehicle is provided with 1 hour of power. Spells burned in this manner are removed from the caster’s mind as if they had been cast. This takes place immediately on selecting the spell. Two 0 level spells provide 1 hour also. The spell caster determines which spells are used. The spells’s power is drained over time so the caster must remain seated at the jammer for the entire length of power provided. This means 1 hour for a first level spell, or 9 full hours for a 9th level spell. It is possible to switch spellcasters without losing power as long as the new spellcaster takes control within one round of the old spell caster leaving.
It is possible for a character with the Use Magic Device skill to activate the Jammer by emulating spell casting instead of burning spells. As per the rules for that skill, emulating higher level spells makes the DC harder, and taking 10 or 20 is not possible.
Larger Jammers are more efficient at using drained spells. A jammer 6 slots big gains +12 power from each drain spell, a jammer 9 slot in size provides +18 in power per spell drained, etc.

Psionic Jammer (000000gp)
Size: 3
Power: +6 psionic
Fantasy 4
Similar in nature to an Arcane Jammer, these devices drain psionic power points instead of spells. Each point drained provides one hour of power. The psionic character must remain in the jammer for this full time. In all other ways this jammer works like the arcane jammer, including rules for switching psions, larger jammers being more efficient, and the skill Use Psionic Device.

Blood Jammer (000000gp)
Size: 3
Power: +6 magic/psionic
Fantasy 4
Similar in nature to an Arcane Jammer, these devices drain life force instead of spells. Depending on the vehicle, the life force drained may either be from willing occupants or from restrained victim. Mind flayers, for example, tend to use “willing” occupants due to their abilities to make other “willing.” Unlike Arcane Jammers and Psionic Jammers, Blood Jammers are almost never designed to drain the pilot of a vehicle.
Blood Jammers inflict 1 point of temporary Constitution damage for each hour of power drained. No special skills can be used to power a Blood Jammer without incurring this drain.
Unlike Arcane Jammers and Psionic Jammers, Blood Jammers are not built bigger and more efficient. In order to gain more power, additional jammers with separate occupants must be used.
Blood Jammers can provide magic or psionic power, but the type is selected during construction of the jammer, not during use.

Monstrous Drive (0000gp)
Size: 2
Power: +4 (any)
Fantasy 1
A monstrous drive is a broad term for any power source that runs off some creature or monster. This would include a steam engine running off an elemental, or electrical energy being drained from a tank of electric eels. Gnomes have been known to use a Giant Space Hamster in a wheel to power their vessels. This system “package” includes living space for the “power source” and proper food stuffs, if any, for 100 days. Additional food stores can be purchased for this drive using the Food Stores support system.
-------------------------------------

Now do I need to make a "forge jammer" or "artifact jammer" as they were in the orginal spelljammer (dwarven forges powered asteroids by running off the raw creative power of a room full for dwarves making weapons and armor, and artifact jammers had some powerful minor artifact like weapons etc, with a stranger device built around it to use that power for another purpose instead... powering a vessel.

I think the dwarf one is out dated now that dwarves can cast spells and be wizards etc, and I think the artifact one is harder to write up.

Sidran

First Post
I agree that the dwarven jammer is out of date however something should be done for all the dwarve lovers out there perhaps that should be something purely ares instead of reminiscent ( I know I am confusing at times) of Spelljammer.

BlackJaw

First Post
"perhaps that should be something purely ares instead of reminiscent ( I know I am confusing at times) of Spelljammer."

Ares... as in the god of war? I'm not sure what your saying here... something purely ______ instead of reminiscent.

BlackJaw

First Post
I'm more or less making my own set of spelljammer conversions, to make sure that they mesh with our current rules and the like. Also I'm not converting the entire setting, but just making sure you can make vehicles for a spelljammer with our system.

I intend to build a spell jammer ship as an example of our system (along with a dragon star ship) BUT I will not be using the words "spelljammer" or "dragonstar" when I do so. (to many issues about open content and the like, easier to just hint at it...
"if you were using a sci-fi setting rules by dragons, and where magic and technology often work togeather, you might make a vehicle with these components..."

"if you ran a setting that where high magic allows characters to reach space and have swashbuckling adventures throught the stars, you might make a vehicle like this:")

I'm not going to convert the whole setting and thus I hope I won't step on to many people's memories of the setting, or on the toes of anyone out there with D20 conversions. (although all the d20 conversion tend to have ship rules or their own... so I will be dancing on a few people's toes)

Sidran

First Post
I'm not going to convert the whole setting and thus I hope I won't step on to many people's memories of the setting, or on the toes of anyone out there with D20 conversions. (although all the d20 conversion tend to have ship rules or their own... so I will be dancing on a few people's toes)

Blackjaw posted above

Wow no wasn't what I meant by the Spelljammer stuff

I just meant some crunchy bits that would maybe spark a few more downloads than otherwise

I fealt that some SJ PrC's would do the trick....
I will wait until the rules are more complete before submitting any though

BlackJaw

First Post
well I was planning for a Pilot PrC, and maybe something for mounted characters (air mounted characters) or characters that fly a lot (as in fly spells etc)... but if you can get a SpellJammer related PrC going that uses the system, I'd love to see it.

EDIT: I mean, when we get to that point. Oh and for the record I've got almost all the vehicle components written up. I've got a couple more defensive systems to write up, and a lot of weapons, but all the rest is finished already. Then I have to tweak all the power and engine systems.

The vehicle construction rules are really starting to come allong. I intend to use the rules when I done to test build a spelljammer ship (one of the nice eleven ones) to see if it still works.

Last edited:

Sidran

First Post
sounds good,

Cant wait to see it all done and ready. Been really lacking energy lately, you know playing a bard can be really tough. Been writing all types of stuff for my IC portfolio

I have been reading over stuff, and haven't found much in the way of Ideas that jump right out and bite me as a really cool PrC.

I know your opinion and others as well that a few PrC's are cool, to many suck but I think the more's the better as long as there decent or better quality wise.

I am trying to get people behind a Adventurers Guide to Cities sourcebook, and that to would have one or two PrC's as well as some feats.

Speaking of which will their be any new feats, skills or spells, I knew that there were some new skills that had been done but I have no clue as to if we still have them

Nate J.

I can think of a few good Ideas for Feats. Go by matter of fact names here

Aerial Acrobatics
Quick Manuevering (For Mounted riders)
Aerial Familiar (Eagle, Owl, Falcon, Raven) Arcane Classes only
Greater Aerial Familiar (Roc, Giant Eagle, Giant Owl) Arcane classes only.

Fast Action Strike. ( Same effect as a blur spell but for fighters Dex requirements, and bab as well) Instead of making a five foot move the character can choose to make a fast action strike once per day.

Special this feat may be taken more than once each time it is taken the character gains another fast action strike per day

Foretop'smen
From the experience over long hard voyages you have learned the way of the upper yards.

prereq: Use rope +4 ranks

Benefit: When climbing your way throught the fore tops of the sky ship you gain a +3 to your reflex saves when under great physical strain, or when taken unawares. This feat comes into play mostly during aerial combats when high speed turns would prove fatal to landsmen

BlackJaw

First Post
Feats are an important idea I hadn't considered... (there is a seciton in our draft that has a bunch of stuff like this, but I was not happy with what it was, how much of it was stollen, etc... and will be removed and rewritten.)

I got some questions:

Aerial Acrobatics ?? For piloting? for flying yourself? (fly spell/wings etc) What does this do? bonus on stunt checks? allow for more turns or better turning then normal?

Quick Manuevering (For Mounted riders)... What does this do for mounted riders... keep in mind riders are not pilots... the mount still flies it self, the rider just tells him where to go (just like ground based mounts) (mounted version of above feat?)

Aerial Familiar (Eagle, Owl, Falcon, Raven) Arcane Classes only.... arn't many of these already standard familar options? Owls, Ravens, and Bats are standard familars arn't they?

Greater Aerial Familiar (Roc, Giant Eagle, Giant Owl) Arcane classes only.... hmmm kinda like improved familar feat... which isn't OGC. interesting idea, but this kind of stuff gets complicated to balence. what level does a wizard need to be have a Roc for a familar? does it still get hitpoints in a special maner, or can it use its own hitpoints and HD if they are greater? etc. I do like the idea of a wizard able to ride his familar through the sky, but I would want to extend it out to the larger dangerous monster class flying creatures.

Fast Action Strike. ( Same effect as a blur spell but for fighters Dex requirements, and bab as well) Instead of making a five foot move the character can choose to make a fast action strike once per day... Huh? I'm not sure what your saying here, and for the record, there arn't exactly 5' steps in air combat. This just a cool feat you had in mind?

Foretop'smen: I get the idea here, but its a bit spicfic... might need to be applicable in a greater amount of situations, or provide other bonuses. also I think the system for getting knocked off a vehicle (as listed under a stunt) uses a skill check Balence or Climb, to see if you stay on. A feat that lets you take 10 on climb checks/balence checks... and still move at their full base speed in the ropes/rigging/etc could be cool.

Last edited:

Sidran

First Post
k sorry about the long wait for answers

Aerial Acrobatics! I am thinking for piloting here perhaps something that gives you the ability to use the pilots dex bonus to the ac of his ship or something similar

Quick Manuevering was thinking for mounted riders with a flavor of the Rider and the Mount have attuned themselves to eachother
Because of this whenever they would normaly take an take an attack of opportunity they do not or something similar

Aerial familiar- yeah I am sure they probably are

Greater Aerial Familiar_ too similar, and hard to balance..hmm sigh I dont know I just threw it out because it seemed interesting

Fast Action Strike. ( Same effect as a blur spell but for fighters Dex requirements, and bab as well) Instead of making a five foot move the character can choose to make a fast action strike once per day... Huh? I'm not sure what your saying here, and for the record, there arn't exactly 5' steps in air combat. This just a cool feat you had in mind?

this was actually for characters who like swashbuckling in the sky's and in combat when a character is done with their turn they get a 5' step that can draw attacks of opportunity this feat basically gives a second attack perhaps at a -4 to hit or damage once per day without drawing the AoO

Foretop'smen: I get the idea here, but its a bit spicfic... might need to be applicable in a greater amount of situations, or provide other bonuses. also I think the system for getting knocked off a vehicle (as listed under a stunt) uses a skill check Balence or Climb, to see if you stay on. A feat that lets you take 10 on climb checks/balence checks... and still move at their full base speed in the ropes/rigging/etc could be cool.

I like the ideas you put out for this one will try and right it up by WotC standards...

Child of the Sky

The blood of an Intelligent Aerial creature flows in your veins

Somewhere in the past you had an ancester who was a member of an Aerial species. [insert ability based on air genasi or something similar]

Special you may only take this feat at first level

new name for foretop'smen Rope Walker.

Rope Walker

From the experience earned over long hard voyages you have learned to walk ropes at times when others would fail.

Prereq: Use rope 4 ranks

Benefit: When the character takes this feat they gain the ability to take 10 on Balance and climb checks when in combat. Also this feat allows the Character to move at their normal speed while climbing, or walking the ropes.

Fast action strike (Lunge)

You have learned to take advantage of fast footed manuevers to surprise your foe's in the turmoil of boarding actions.

Prereq Dex+13

benefit: Instead of the normal 5' ft after combat move, a character who takes this feat gains the ability to strike at an opponent in a blurring attack. When attacking in this manner the
Player receives a -2 to hit, and a -4 to damage. However
the target of this ability is considered partially flat footed while the attack is occuring because of this they get a -2 to their AC during the manuever. A character who uses this feat's ability is not subject to any AoO that would normally apply to a 5' move

Remove ads