• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell power progression

Corwyn

First Post
I had been toying with this for quite some time and recently reading a thread in the general forum on wizard having to find their spells instead of just choosing some as they gain levels.

What I mean is what is the difference between the power of spells from 2de level compared to 3rd level, and then the between 2ed and 4th ?

For example, let’s take fireball. This is the archetypical D&D spell.

At 3rd level it does 1d6/lvl damage to a max of 10d6 on a 20 foot radius area and at a long range.

What would a 4th level variant look like ?
Would it be acceptable to raise the damage dice to 1d8 or change it to 1d6+1.
Increase the damage cap to 15d6.
Make it a 30 foot radius.

Not all of the above just one of them.

And if you would change the area into 1 person and keep the level the same what would you modify on the power ?

Another example I believe I once read a spell (just can’t remember where at the moment) 2e level fire based that dealt 1d4/level cap 5d4 on a area just like fireball only toned down.
Now if you would view this the other way around, make this spell the base and extrapolate to 3e level, you increase the damage dice by 1 step and double the damage cap.
And if you would take that one step further thus from 3rd to 4th it would be 1d8/lvl damage cap 20d8.
Wouldn’t that be logical ?

If you look at it this way isn’t DB fireball underpowered? For the cost of 4 lvls you increase the damage from d6 to d8, remove the damage cap and you add in a delay option. Is that worth all those levels… ?

So what is your take on this ?
I know my thoughts are a bit chaotic.. unfortunately I can’t seem to get them organized. :eek:

Last edited:

Krafen

First Post
By "3e" and "4e" you mean "3rd" and "4th", right?

If so, look at Arcana Unearthed. Spells in that book have versions one level higher and one level lower. That should give you quite a few good examples of what I think you are looking for.

Corwyn

First Post
Still that means that the difference between a 3rd lvl spell and 7th lvl spell in this case is removing the dam. cap and adding a delay option.

Do you find that en acceptable increase in lvl's for the return in power ?

I'm not trying to get into a flamewar on the fact that some spell is broken or underpowered. The intention is more to discuss what kind of power people equate with a certain spell level.

Last edited:

Remove ads